Optional location for Apps folder

bphlpt

To carry out a request that sort of began here, I do think it would be useful if a location for an additional Apps folder can be specified as an option, such as via a checkbox and a input box (it wouldn't even have to be named Apps).  If nothing is specified, or the checkbox wasn't checked, or the location does not exist at time of install, then the current standard behavior of looking for an Apps folder at the root of all installed drives of any kind would still take place.  The current standard behavior would be the default.  The idea that if an Apps folder is not found that a browse dialog popup occurs allowing the user to choose a location (it wouldn't even have to be named Apps), or continue without installing any Apps, has possibilities as well, but I wouldn't think that should be the default since most will prefer the unattended install behavior and that would break that if you weren't planning to install any apps.  But since this would happen at the very end of the install process, it might not be too big an inconvenience, and it could definitely save a lot of hassle if you had simply forgot to plug in your USB that had your apps.  Comments or other ideas for implementation?

By the way, it would be good to clarify what happens if there are multiple Apps folders available.  Only the first one found is used?  What is the search order?  What happens if an Apps folder is found that doesn't have valid apps in it?  How do you tell whether they are valid or not?  I would also think that if an optional location is specified it should have priority over the other locations.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

But what if some installers need switches? or if you need to run the apps in a specific order (ie not alphabetical) ?

On my opinion,  the list of installers to execute should be stored elsewhere than the registry, for easier edit after an image is done.

Instead of reading the registry, WinToolKitRunOnce.exe could search for some ini file (with an unique name, like WTKapps.ini) with the names and switches and parse it if found.

@mooms,

My above post only dealt with where the apps are located.  Your points raise more questions and emphasize the fact that I am not at all clear about the mechanism of how exactly the apps are installed, how to edit, change, remove, or add to the apps which are to be installed after a build is made, etc.  I've seen that others have similar questions.  Figuring out a way to make those kind of changes without requiring a re-build would be very advantageous.  Hopefully, someone with a better understanding can enlighten us.

Cheers and Regards