Unknown Hardware installing..

skorch41

Ok.. Some of you know that I have upgraded to Windows Vista but I just got bored with it and I want to reinstall XP.. So I reformat my hard drive and installed XP.. but after the installation there is an unknown hardware that needs installing or needs to be installed.. I don't know what hardware is it because it just say UNKNOWN.. Is there any way that I can know what hardware is it? I've checked the system's device manager for uninstalled hardware but there's nothing there.. it's all ok..

here's a screenshot of the unknown hardware..

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Untitled-1.png

Untitled-2-1.png

Untitled-3.png

In dev manager, click on view then check "view hidden devices". See if that shows any hardware not installing properly.

Its there! but it's UNKNOWN.. how strange.. it is located on Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System.. What's that?

here's a screenshot

------------------------------------------------------

Untitled-1-1.png

ACPI

Short for Advanced Configuration and Power Interface,

a power management specification developed by Intel, Microsoft, and Toshiba. ACPI, enables the operating system to control the amount of power given to each device attached to the computer. With ACPI, the operating system can turn off peripheral devices, such as a CD-ROM players, when they're not in use. As another example, ACPI will enable manufacturers to produce computers that automatically power up as soon as you touch the keyboard.

Before you do BIOS update, try pointing the driver path to your BIOS cd. The driver is most likely on your BIOS CD. Point to different folders such as your chipset drivers, etc. on your BIOS CD.

You can try the BIOS update, but I'm sure the driver should be on your BIOS CD somewhere.

well i have pointed it to the so called TOOLSCD in drive c which keeps all the drivers needed in installation of windows but no luck... so do you think bios update might fix this?

I don't have any other clue except this :unsure: But please backup your BIOS before updating it.. ;)

I don't have any other clue except this :unsure: But please backup your BIOS before updating it.. ;)

well i also think that the bios is the problem... because i have updated my bios when i'm on vista.... because a software needed wont install unless i updated my bios... so i updated it from version 1.something to version5 for vista...

so i think it is the problem..

so if i will update the bios or downgrade it from version 5 to 1.60 how do you do that? you just install version 1.60???

and also, the version 1.60 was made this year feb 08, 2007... i bought my laptop last september 2006..

edit: how do you backup your bios?? i don't know that... ehehe.. i'm lazy

Edited by skorch41

You should have the "how to" doc at manufacturer's web site. As for the downgrade of BIOS, I must admit that I never did this, but I think you should be able to do that without any problems.

Backup is usually saved at the same floppy disk where you'll have old or new BIOS version.