install update... how?

leodav

I try to explain better

I have to download every single update from microsoft and add in the program (all-inone integrator) or there is the possibility to download them all at once automatically?

excuse my English ... I'm using google translate

Hi,

thank you for the link but i cannot clear it totally.

GDR means everything windows update website offers?

and the rest are special hotfixes for problems but also including the security fixes,

but to get those updates i have to visit special ms links or have to order special hotfixes from ms?

MCRip offers both?

Damn iam not sure which update base to use to integrate :) argh

Greetz X23

Edited by x23piracy

GDR means everything windows update website offers?

Yes.

LDR/QFE updates ( Limited Distribution Release and Quick Fix Engineering ) are on an an other "branch" of development.

Think of it as "testing": you have the latest fixes, but also potentially new bugs or regressions.

GDR means General Distribution Release.released to the public on Windows Update and other places.

When fixes of QFE/LDR are considered stable, they are merged in GDR branch. (the "stable" version )

The KB posted on Windows Update contains the two branches, so once you have installed QFE/LDR hotfixes, you're staying on this branch.  (until the next service pack or if you uninstall any updates  on LDR/QFE branch).

That is pretty much it ...

MCRip offers both?

Damn iam not sure which update base to use to integrate :) argh

Yes, McRip offers both with no need to visit special MS links or have to order special hotfixes from MS. He's done that already for you.

As far as which branch to use, it's really a matter of person preference. Some prefer the GDR branch as there are fewer updates to integrate and they are slightly more stable, though they are not immune to issues. Others figure that all of the LDR/QFE updates will eventually be rolled into the GDR branch anyway, or the next SP if there ever is one, so you might as well be prepared. While there is a very small risk that new bugs are introduced, the cases where that has occurred are rare and they are usually corrected quickly with yet another update. LOL I personally have not run into a problem using the LDR/QFE branch and I think it is what Lego uses himself.

Cheers and Regards

I think that's THE most concise explanation I have read to date on the issue... excellent!!! That should be a sticky somewhere for reference.

Yes.

LDR/QFE updates ( Limited Distribution Release and Quick Fix Engineering ) are on an an other "branch" of development.

Think of it as "testing": you have the latest fixes, but also potentially new bugs or regressions.

GDR means General Distribution Release.released to the public on Windows Update and other places.

When fixes of QFE/LDR are considered stable, they are merged in GDR branch. (the "stable" version )

The KB posted on Windows Update contains the two branches, so once you have installed QFE/LDR hotfixes, you're staying on this branch.  (until the next service pack or if you uninstall any updates  on LDR/QFE branch).

That is pretty much it ...

Add this info to Moom's and you have a superb overview for everyone to easily understand the whole concept

Yes, McRip offers both with no need to visit special MS links or have to order special hotfixes from MS. He's done that already for you.

As far as which branch to use, it's really a matter of person preference. Some prefer the GDR branch as there are fewer updates to integrate and they are slightly more stable, though they are not immune to issues. Others figure that all of the LDR/QFE updates will eventually be rolled into the GDR branch anyway, or the next SP if there ever is one, so you might as well be prepared. While there is a very small risk that new bugs are introduced, the cases where that has occurred are rare and they are usually corrected quickly with yet another update. LOL I personally have not run into a problem using the LDR/QFE branch and I think it is what Lego uses himself.

Cheers and Regards

I personally prefer GDR, especially since the DISM age, because it means less updates/time to integrate, less potential bugs with integration or with the KB itself. (on XP it was not really a problem).

I don't see any cons staying on GDR.

how can i get sure to just install gdr?
MCRip offers both, where is a source for all gdr since today?

To ensure the GDR branch of an update gets installed via Win Toolkit check

All-in-one Integrator > Options > Updates > LDR/QFE mode (Unchecked).

Doing this will ensure that only the GDR branch of the update gets installed.

Edited by dotfusion

To ensure the GDR branch of an update gets installed via Win Toolkit check

All-in-one Integrator > Options > Updates > LDR/QFE mode (Unchecked).

Doing this will ensure that only the GDR branch of the update gets installed.

I may be wrong, but to my understanding it seems logical that "request only" hotfixes doesn't have a GDR branch, so no, it is not enough.

Hi,

how can i get sure to just install gdr?

MCRip offers both, where is a source for all gdr since today?

Greetz X23

You should use Windows Updates Downloader with these or these update lists, or my update packs as I've already said.

Edited by mooms