Recent problems editing posts.

bphlpt

I have discovered a serious bug:

If you toggle the "BBCode Mode" button many characters are changed in the code pasted!

Example: the %16 in %16422% and %16426% disappears if toggle the "BBCode Mode"

To reproduce: type %16426% and toggle the "BBCode Mode".

If you toggle the "BBCode Mode" button many characters are changed in the code pasted!

Example: the in 422% and 426% disappears if toggle the "BBCode Mode"

To reproduce: type 426% and toggle the "BBCode Mode".

All I did was quote your post, (my edit box is set to load with BBCode Mode enabled), and sure enough, all instances of "% 16" (without the extra space) just vanished. I thought maybe this was one of those times that the actual post was going to be different than the edit box, so I posted after doing no changes at all, but nope, still gone. Good catch mooms. I then also noticed that when I came back in to edit the post the "smart" software had decided to delete the "no longer needed" first color block [ color = # 0000ff ] [ /color ] since there was now nothing inside it after deleting the % 16. I wonder if there are other "magic" character strings that are automatically "interpreted/changed" in either "BBCode" or "pretty" mode? I wish there was some way to turn off the edit box's "intelligence" so it would just "Da*%&n it, print what I say, with no interpretation at all because I know what I want!!!".

N1k, is there any possible way to reload the board software with an older version? There don't seem to be any major issues for casual or first time posters, but this is beginning to effect the frequent posters more and more. Just a thought.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

As far as I know the board can't be rolled back to an older version.

I have seen a lot of posts in the IPS community forums where users complain about quoting, bbcode and editing posts. For now I haven't found an answer for this issue :(

I am still trying to dig out what can I do until the next update which should definitely offer a fix.

I have seen a lot of posts in the IPS community forums where users complain about quoting, bbcode and editing posts.

You have my permission to quote all or any part of any of my posts as you see fit and post them in the IPS community forums. Perhaps if they get enough complaints it might inspire them to come up with a fix sooner, even if it is a temporary one until version 4.0 comes out.

I know you are doing what you can for our benefit.

Cheers and Regards my friend

If you happen to be deleting within the code block and backspace just one too many characters, you lose the block outline and its heading ( such as "NIM, on 15 Feb 2013 - 02:12, said:" ), and it is totally unrecoverable with control Z or anything else I've found.  Everything that was inside the code block is now outside it  When it has happened to me, at least a dozen times, I've had to just cancel the edit and start all over as the only way to get what I wanted to say to look right.  

I have just tried this and now it works fine. CTRL+Z brings back the quote box.

Example: the %16 in %16422% and %16426% disappears if toggle the "BBCode Mode"

To reproduce: type %16426% and toggle the "BBCode Mode".

Example: the in 422% and 426% disappears if toggle the "BBCode Mode"

To reproduce: type 426% and toggle the "BBCode Mode".

This issue also seems to be fixed..

I still can't quote a post with embedded quotes using the quote button and have them survive.  I tried to quote your post just above this one and this is all I got.

This issue also seems to be fixed..

Is there any way for me to be able to do what I want?

You also still can not copy from one edit box to another, open in another tab, in "WYSIWYG" mode and have the quote or code boxes survive, but I did just discover that you can copy directly from a post to the edit box and the quote and code boxes will survive.  So maybe that's a way to accomplish what I wanted to above.  It's strange that works better than the quote button.

And no, the issue you mention in the above post is NOT fixed. Type % 16, without the extra space. Toggle the BBCode mode button and it will disappear. It actually disappears when switching from "WYSIWYG" mode to "BBCode" mode. If you enter the % 16 in "BBCode" mode, it seems it will survive getting posted.  It also seems to survive if just entered in "WYSIWYG" mode.  But you can then never go back to "BBCode" mode for that post.  Let's test and see:

I'll type % 16 between the parentheses while in "BBCode" mode - (%16)
Then I'll switch to "WYSIWYG" mode and do the same - (%16)

Now I'll post and see if they survive, but if I ever open this post in "BBCode" mode they will disappear again.

The issue of the code or quote box disappearing with a backspace and not being able to get it back with Ctrl-Z is sort of fixed.  Sometimes it comes back with one Ctrl-Z and sometimes I had to hit Ctrl-Z as many as three times in a row to get it back.  I have no idea why.  But it's a little progress I guess.

There is still an issue of the difficulty in trying to get the spacing the way you want it between the code or quote blocks and the surrounding text.  The board software usually deletes "empty" lines around those blocks, even multiple lines and sometimes even if you put spaces in them so the lines are not truly empty.

Unfortunately, from reading over at the IP Board forum, I'm not holding my breath that any of these issues that have anything to do with the "BBCode" mode will ever be fixed, even though there are indeed many users who are complaining.  It seems the staff believes that they just need to make the "WYSIWYG" mode work correctly so that folks don't need to use the "BBCode" mode at all.  But maybe if they get enough complaints, who knows?

We know none of this is your fault Nik.  Thanks for doing your best to keep the board as updated as possible.

Cheers and Regards

EDIT - Changed "pretty" mode to "WYSIWYG" mode

Edited by bphlpt

Thanks for reporting.

bphlpt can you please report this bugs here or make short problem description for each issue and I will report it to the bug tracker.

I have also re-posted your post on Invision Forums that are visible only to clients, but as before, no reply from them.

Thanks for your help!

Here you go. Use this as you see fit. These are the seven bugs or annoyances that I am aware of. Only one of them, #4, was addressed at all in the latest update, and it is still a little screwy.

Cheers and Regards

-------------------------------------------------------------

1) -- You can't quote a post with embedded quotes using the quote button and have any existing embedded quotes survive. It only quotes the "new" text.

You also can not copy from one edit box to another, that is open in another browser tab, using "highlight-CTRL-C-CTRL-V" in "WYSIWYG" mode and have the quote or code boxes survive. The only way to copy from one edit box to another and have the quote and code boxes survive is to do it in "BBCode" mode. But I did just discover that you can copy directly from a post to an edit box using "highlight-CTRL-C-CTRL-V" and the quote and code boxes will survive. So that's one way to accomplish what I want. It's strange that works better than the quote button.

2) -- If you toggle the "BBCode Mode" button many characters are changed in the existing code. For example the % 16, (without the embedded space), in % 16422% and % 16426% disappears if you toggle the "BBCode Mode" button. It actually disappears when switching from "WYSIWYG" mode to "BBCode" mode. If you enter the % 16 in "BBCode" mode or in "WYSIWYG" mode and then post it will usually survive. But if you ever then switch into "BBCode" mode for that post it will disappear.

3) -- The board software will not create a proper link by simply surrounding a valid address with [ url ] tags. I tried to create a link like this:

[ url ] http :// www .msfn .org /board /topic /156730-unattended-installation /page__p__1030189#entry1030189 [ /url ]

without the extra spaces of course, and it becomes:

[ url = undefined ] http :// www .msfn .org /board /topic /156730-unattended-installation /page__p__1030189#entry1030189 [ /url ]

Actually, it's more messed up than that.

Back at Wincert, where I first discovered this issue, what started out as a post to our admin:

When I tried to enter a link to a post over at MSFN by surrounding it with [ url ] tags like this:

[ url ] http :// www .msfn .org /board /topic /156730-unattended-installation /page__p__1030189#entry1030189 [ /url ]

without the extra spaces of course, it turned into this when it was posted:

[ url = undefined ] http :// www .msfn .org /board /topic /156730-unattended-installation /page__p__1030189#entry1030189 [ /url ]

The only way the post was able to be posted correctly was if I entered it like this:

[ url = http :// www .msfn .org /board /topic /156730-unattended-installation /page__p__1030189#entry1030189 ] http :// www .msfn .org /board /topic /156730-unattended-installation /page__p__1030189#entry1030189 [ /url ]

That's perfectly fine, but it shouldn't be required.

Apparently I didn't have enough embedded spaces in my original post so the "smart" board software got too smart for it's own good and turned it into:

When I tried to enter a link to a post over at MSFN by surrounding it with [ url ] tags like this:

[ url ][ url = http :// www .msfn .org /board /topic /156730-unattended-installation /page__p__1030189#entry1030189 [] http :// www .msfn .org /board /topic /156730-unattended-installation /page__p__1030189#entry1030189 [[ /url ] /url ]

without the extra spaces of course, it turned into this when it was posted:

[ url = undefined ][ url = http :// www .msfn .org /board /topic /156730-unattended-installation /page__p__1030189#entry1030189 [] http :// www .msfn .org /board /topic /156730-unattended-installation /page__p__1030189#entry1030189 [ [ /url ] /url ]

The only way the post was able to be posted correctly was if I entered it like this:

[ url = [ url = http :// www .msfn .org /board /topic /156730-unattended-installation /page__p__1030189#entry1030189 ] http :// www .msfn .org /board /topic /156730-unattended-installation /page__p__1030189#entry1030189 [ /url ] ][ url = http :// www .msfn .org /board /topic /156730-unattended-installation /page__p__1030189#entry1030189 [] http :// www .msfn .org /board /topic /156730-unattended-installation /page__p__1030189#entry1030189 [ [ /url ] /url ]

Sorry if all the extra spaces make the above hard to read, but I don't know how to turn the board's "intelligence" off so it won't mess up what I'm trying to post.

4) -- It is really annoying when you edit a post with code or quote tags, or any BBCode tags I guess, that it is dangerous, at least to your sanity, to try and edit within the code or quote block in "WYSIWYG" mode. If you happen to be deleting within the quote block and backspace just one too many characters, you lose the block outline and its heading ( such as "NIM, on 15 Feb 2013 - 02:12, said:" ). Everything that was inside the quote block is now outside it. This issue of the code or quote box disappearing with a backspace and not being able to get it back with Ctrl-Z is sort of fixed with the latest update. Sometimes it comes back with one Ctrl-Z but sometimes I have to hit Ctrl-Z as many as three times in a row to get it back, even though it disappeared with a single backspace. I have no idea why. But it's a little progress I guess.

5) -- There is still a lot of difficulty in trying to get the spacing the way you want it between the code or quote blocks and the surrounding text. The board software usually deletes "empty" lines around those blocks, sometimes even multiple lines and sometimes even if you put spaces in them so the lines are not truly empty. This problem is especially bad if you are editing in "BBCode" mode.

6) -- When editing in "BBCode" mode, line wrap in the edit box does not break at word boundaries, but will just wrap in the middle of a word. It can be a little confusing.

7) -- Editing in "BBCode" mode would be much more productive if the other buttons in the edit box, for bold, links, etc, would function instead of being disabled.

Edited by bphlpt

• 2 weeks later...
After having noticed several issues editing posts, such as:
"you have no permissions", I always managed to work around.

But this week I am unable to change the title with "full edit"
Each time I am being logged out when trying to save changes. 

I updated this post, but can't change the version in the title: 

This is the message box appearing after each failed attempt:

Sorry, you don't have permission for that!

Your secure key, used to verify you are posting the topic, did not 
match the one submitted. Please go back, reload the form, and try again

Edited by jaynbe

After having noticed several issues editing posts, such as:
"you have no permissions", I always managed to work around.

But this week I am unable to change the title with "full edit"
Each time I am being logged out when trying to save changes. 

I updated this post, but can't change the version in the title: 

This is the message box appearing after each failed attempt:

So this started happening this week?

Does this happen with other browsers with default settings?

I have changed cookies, security and privacy, login key expiration and everything seems fine.

I have just tried to do the edit by testing with your account and it works normally. I can edit the title from the topic you posted.

Is it possible that some third party application on your machine can cause this, like AV/FW or Anti-Spyware app?

Sorry to bother you NIM,

I have newest AVAST8 and KeyScrambler running.

Tried again with both temporarily turned off; 

but still same: I can edit and save changes in 

my posts, but not in the titles (same for preview)

If nobody else has the same problem, something 

in my machine/setup must be causing this...

At least the good is that I can post and edit; 

will have to live with the titles for now.

Edited by jaynbe

• 2 weeks later...

Tried with 4 different PC's (Win7, Vista, XP and a new reinstalled),

but still not able to change post title (and logged out each time)

Had AV & all other security turned off, .... A mystery...

I have tried with several browsers using your account. IPS support tried the same and we just can't reproduce this issue. :(

What I can do is to try resetting your security key which may fix it. In other words, I'll have to reset your password and create a new login and new crypt key.

Let me know if you would like to try that.