Large Image Size

akf

I used Win Toolkit v1.4.1.14 to integrate drivers (210 MB) and Windows Updates into a Windows 8 Pro image (3.33 GB). Windows Update files (903 MB) are from McRip / PointZero Windows 8 Repository. I enabled LDR/QFE mode, and did not employ component removal in Win Toolkit.

1. The end result is an image file of 4.80 GB, much larger than a DVD. Is it normal to have a large image size? How should I tweak the setting, so that the image size is smaller than a DVD without using component removal?

2. I may have wrongly thought that All-In-One Integrator can be used to rebuild just one image. Then again, when I checked the resultant image file, it still had 2 images in it: Windows 8 Pro and Windows 8. What should I do within All-In-One Integrator, to rebuild just one image?

3. I noticed that for hotfixes with both GDR and LDR branches, both branches are integrated into the Windows image. What should I do, if I only want only the LDR branch of such hotfixes are integrated into the image?

4. I used Unattended Creator to create Autounattend.xml, in which I did specify the computer name (Alvin-PC) and the serial key for Windows installation (xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-J8CK4) among other items. During the Windows installation, I was prompted to key in the computer name and the serial key again, but other settings like username and time zone setting are automatically inserted. What is wrong with the Autounattend.xml?

5. Where can I set the default features (Similar to "Turn Windows features on or off.") inside Win Toolkit?

Thank you for your assistance. :)

Edited by akf

I see. What would be the size of your customized Windows 8 image? It should not be larger than mine.

I believe that the USB drive has to be made bootable, before the Windows image is copied to it.

After Windows installation, is there a way to reverse the process of making the USB drive bootable? In other words, I want to make the USB drive normal again and use it for file storage.

Hi akf,

As for rendering the USB drive normal, just wiping all files or a reformat will do. Making it bootable is just adding a special bootsector and a few startup files. If I recall correctly, WTK can do this. Main -> Intermediate -> USB Boot Preparation.

Regards, Eric666

i don't have a solution, but i have noticed something kind of annoying that is similar.  i found if i worked with a build, stopped midway, exited wintoolkit and came back later to work on it, the .iso would double in size. when i'm finished, i'll get an .iso thats 7+gb :dizzy:

however, if i start and work on it and not close the program (basically complete everything in one sitting) then my .iso size would be more normal 3-ish gb.  its kind of annoying that theres no 'check' to see whats been done, or to prevent it from doing whatever it does that makes the .iso balloon to twice its normal size.

My last Windows 8 install I did, the .wim file was 18.6 gb! :)

I use a 300 gig usb drive.

I never have to do anything to my usb hard drive other than format it, and copy the files to it...

Then I just go into the bios and set it to boot to that drive first....

Edited by *Reaper*

I used Win Toolkit v1.4.1.14 to integrate drivers (210 MB) and Windows Updates into a Windows 8 Pro image (3.33 GB). Windows Update files (903 MB) are from McRip / PointZero Windows 8 Repository. I enabled LDR/QFE mode, and did not employ component removal in Win Toolkit.

1. The end result is an image file of 4.80 GB, much larger than a DVD. Is it normal to have a large image size? How should I tweak the setting, so that the image size is smaller than a DVD without using component removal?

2. I may have wrongly thought that All-In-One Integrator can be used to rebuild just one image. Then again, when I checked the resultant image file, it still had 2 images in it: Windows 8 Pro and Windows 8. What should I do within All-In-One Integrator, to rebuild just one image?

3. I noticed that for hotfixes with both GDR and LDR branches, both branches are integrated into the Windows image. What should I do, if I only want only the LDR branch of such hotfixes are integrated into the image?

4. I used Unattended Creator to create Autounattend.xml, in which I did specify the computer name (Alvin-PC) and the serial key for Windows installation (xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-J8CK4) among other items. During the Windows installation, I was prompted to key in the computer name and the serial key again, but other settings like username and time zone setting are automatically inserted. What is wrong with the Autounattend.xml?

5. Where can I set the default features (Similar to "Turn Windows features on or off.") inside Win Toolkit?

Thank you for your assistance. :)

1. In the WIM Manager, just click 'Rebuild'. Hopefully that will help.

2. Refer to answer 1.

3. Not possible.

4. I'm not the best person to ask about AutoUnattended.

5. Not available, yet.