Sandisk Extreme 3.0 32GB can't go on at install destination?

x23piracy

Hi,

first i tried with wintoolkit and the sandisk didn't boot.

then i tried the microsoft tool to create a usb stick, with that it boot but now i have a another mistake.

Setup will find all hdds but will not install to any of it the error message is:

I have to translate from german to english by myself...

Setup cannot create a new system partition or find an existing partition to install to...

But i see all the harddisks and i also can create or delete partitions on them but if i choose one

partition to install to i get the error message above... Damn i shouldn't bougth a usb 3.0 i should took a usb 2.0 one.

What a bull****... (related to usb 3.0)

I do the same procedure with an usb 2.0 stick anything works.

Greetz X23

Hehehehe... I have the same problem with Sandisk Extreme 64Gb...but I found a solution...

When you see this image to choose partition:

windows-7-clean-install-B.jpg

Unplug stick from USB and click Refresh button... Insert stick on USB and click again in Refresh button, now create partition and install... works for me...

Sorry for my bad english... X-D

Regards... ;-)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Hehehehe... I have the same problem with Sandisk Extreme 64Gb...but I found a solution...

Regards... ;-)

man if that works you are my hero ;) but anyway it's a dirty workaround i really want to find out whats happening... do you know more ? :D

My english is also a mess ;)

The solution you describe speaks for my idea that windows trys to install the bootloader in the sandisk stick mistakenly.

How can i find that out while setup is running, is there a hidden console or something to debug that?

Greetz/Grüße X23

Edited by x23piracy

@x23piracy

Have you looked at the setup logs? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744583(v=ws.10).aspx

1. what size is your install.wim?

2. what file system is your UFD formated with?

3. have you tried the solution in post #23?

The solution you describe speaks for my idea that windows trys to install the bootloader in the sandisk stick mistakenly.

How can i find that out while setup is running, is there a hidden console or something to debug that?

Edited by dotfusion

Hi,

Insert the flash drive Sandisk Extreme 3.0 on installation time to a USB 2.0 port and will not be a problem. The problem is missing drivers for the USB 3.0 controller before installing the system is not in the image of the system. Problem is not the stick.

i've tried it both on usb 2.0 and 3.0 ports same failure, i've integrated all usb drivers from driverpacks.net latest chipset pakage no change...

@x23piracy

Have you looked at the setup logs? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744583(v=ws.10).aspx

1. what size is your install.wim?
2. what file system is your UFD formated with?
3. have you tried the solution in post #23?

1. i have two images lqr and gdr ~ lqr around 4,7GB and GDR around 3,6GB

2. NTFS

3. yes see above.

Greetz X23

Edited by x23piracy

had the same problem! USB 3.0 Sandisk Extreme 16GB,

it worked as wiktorynka said!

The only solution:

Insert the flash drive Sandisk Extreme 3.0 on installation time to a USB
2.0 port and will not be a problem. The problem is missing drivers for
the USB 3.0 controller before installing the system is not in the image
of the system. Problem is not the stick.

The only solution:

The problem is Sandisk Extreme 3.0... If I copy all files from Sandisk Extreme 3.0 to other USB 3.0 stick, Windows 7 install work perfect in USB 3.0...

Regards... ;-)

Edited by alfreire

When you see this image to choose partition:

windows-7-clean-install-B.jpg

Unplug stick from USB and click Refresh button... Insert stick on USB and click again in Refresh button, now create partition and install... works for me...

Regards... ;-)

This method work perfect... I not need use this method with other USB 3.0 pendrives... I have Kingston DataTraveler Ultimate G2 32Gb and Supertalent Express RC8 50Gb, and work perfect with same files and hardware...

Regards... ;-)

Edited by alfreire

Hi,

The only reason to reconnect the stick an then it works is that setup trys to install bootloader to sandisk instead of hdd that is choosen.

The Question is how to solve this behaviour.

The only solution:

This i wrong no change between usb 2.0 or usb 3.0 port

That a driver is missing is possible.

Greetz X23

Edited by x23piracy

The only reason to reconnect the stick an then it works is that setup trys to install bootloader to sandisk instead of hdd that is choosen.

Yes, that it's correct... but I don't know why...

Regards... ;-)

Edited by alfreire

Hi,

lets say the stick is detected as sata hdd and not as usb stick itselfs, how is the priority from windows setup

to set this or that decive infront of the internal disk list? (sorry i dont know how to spell that better).

we can test that with booting from dvd while the usb stick is connected. I can do this tomorrow at work.

Maybe it is a priorisation for usb 3.0 devices (regardingless they are connected to usb 3.0 or 2.0) before interal sata devices.

Greetz X23

Edited by x23piracy

Hi,

lets say the stick is detected as sata hdd and not as usb stick itselfs, how is the priority from windows setup

to set this or that decive infront of the internal disk list? (sorry i dont know how to spell that better).

we can test that with booting from dvd while the usb stick is connected. I can do this tomorrow at work.

Maybe it is a priorisation for usb 3.0 devices (regardingless they are connected to usb 3.0 or 2.0) before interal sata devices.

Well, but with other USB 3.0 devices work without problem... perhaps the reason it's by construction of Sandisk stick, I think i's a SSD stick...

Regards... ;-)

Edited by alfreire

Hi,

i can confirm it's a must to pull the Sandisk USB 3.0 Extreme while partition choosing, then refresh, put in again, another refresh and its possible to install to the hdd.

Nasty Workaround but i works. :( I want to fix that! but how?

Greetz X23

Hi,

i can confirm it's a must to pull the Sandisk USB 3.0 Extreme while partition choosing, then refresh, put in again, another refresh and its possible to install to the hdd.

Greetz X23

I want to fix also... ^_^

Regards... ;-)

Edited by alfreire

Thtats great, I had a feeling that post #23 would work.  I have seen this unusual annoying behavior, not only with San Disk but other brands as well. 

Hi,

Greetz X23

@x23piracy,

I have searched high and low for more more information ob this odd behavior. But all i can find is either not reliable or solutions such as the one tried. No real reason as to why or what is the problem.

I suspect it has something do to with the way the partition tables are setup on the source media (in this case a san disk usb drive.) I would start there.

Edited by dotfusion

I had also seen that a few times when I was starting my USB installs on some Dell laptops BUT mine was USB 2 drives with USB 3 ports... I haven't seen that problem in ages though so I can't provide any useful info 

Thtats great, I had a feeling that post #23 would work.  I have seen this unusual annoying behavior, not only with San Disk but other brands as well. 

Edited by compstuff

I had the same problem with a 2.0 8 gb drive. I found a fix on the net, Just create about 150 mb or more of unallocated space in the hdd or ssd you are trying to install windows

Resizing a partition would do the trick but do a full back of the drive just in case

Edited by amaltom61

Windows setup will run a refresh on the USB bus at the point that you are having problems with.

One way to get around it, is to pull the USB disk out, then put it back in, and go back one step of Windows setup, and try again.  This works in most cases with this error.

It's a good question.  I also own the same drive, and have the same issue with it.

I have a feeling that the controller in the stick is slow at initializing, and is simply not fast enough for Windows Setup.  If you watch the USB stick when Windows is setting up, you can see that it's being initialized, (just before setup asks what drive you want to install Windows on) as my mouse and keyboard also disconnect and reconnect at the same time.