Video Card in Laptop/Notebook [Problem]

skorch41

Ok, my laptop was really in Windows XP, but then I upgraded to Windows Vista. Got all the drivers etc.. but I got bored and went back to XP with the recovery disc given by Toshiba. Now the problem is my video card.. It was Mobile Intel

The video card on that notebook (and mine) is a shared video controller. Basically, it takes memory from your system RAM to do video graphics. My laptop actually has 128Mb dedicated, plus (up to) 192Mb shared. In total, the video card in my laptop can go up to 320Mb, but I leave it at the default, which is 256Mb.

Anyway, in your video software control center, see if you can find anything about Share Memory Size, if you can, you can probably increase it from 64Mb to 128Mb. Take a look around and if you can't find anything, post back and I'll see what I can do. I have a Toshiba Notebook also, but with an ATi Video card.

Best of luck :beerchug:

The video card on that notebook (and mine) is a shared video controller. Basically, it takes memory from your system RAM to do video graphics. My laptop actually has 128Mb dedicated, plus (up to) 192Mb shared. In total, the video card in my laptop can go up to 320Mb, but I leave it at the default, which is 256Mb.

Anyway, in your video software control center, see if you can find anything about Share Memory Size, if you can, you can probably increase it from 64Mb to 128Mb. Take a look around and if you can't find anything, post back and I'll see what I can do. I have a Toshiba Notebook also, but with an ATi Video card.

Best of luck :beerchug:

I can't find anything.. Anything you can do? thx

Well, I have been searching around and I found this: http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/516342-...emory-woes.html

It doesn't really offer a solution, but it does talk about a few things pertaining to your situation.

Try going to the screen below here:

post-132-1180183719_thumb.png

See how much RAM is showing there.

I am beginning to think that maybe Windows changes the shared memory size as needed. Under Vista, it may have to use 128MB, but under XP, only 8Mb is needed bare minimum, so it just goes to 64MB.

And here is my DXdiag box:

post-132-1180183707_thumb.png

Here it is..

1.png

2.png

It's really odd because when I bought this laptop, it always say 128MB of Graphics. No matter how many times i reformat, it's always 128MB. But now it's gone to 64MB. :(

I phoned Toshiba and they say that the maximun is 128 and When windows is not running high graphics memory applications, it's going to be 64. If it's running high graphics videos and games it will go to 128MB.

But i'm not convined with that because as i have said when I bought this laptop, it always say 128MB of Graphics. No matter how many times i reformat, it's always 128MB.

I wish i can bring it up again to 128MB. ehehe

Oh well, I wouldn't worry too much about, means you have an extra 64Mb for doing other stuff when your not playing video games and stuff :P

I wish I could disable the shared memory size thingy on mine, that way I could have my full 1Gb of RAM for Windows and 128Mb for video.

If your computer still runs as well as it did when you got it, I wouldn't worry about it.

Cheers :)

• 4 weeks later...

Did you ever try going into the BIOS and seeing if you can change the shared memory there? I have an Acer laptop with the same chipset as your Toshiba and when I enter the BIOS I can change the ammount of memory shared to the Intel 945GM vid card. IF you do not know how to enter the BIOS, you usually turn off (sometimes on some computers you can just reboot) and turn it on. You will probably see some sort of screen right away with a TOSHIBA logo on it. Try hitting the 'del' or 'F2' buttons repediately. If that doesn't work, try looking on the TOSHIBA screen for it saying something as to ' Hit X button to enter setup ' and hit that button.

Did you ever try going into the BIOS and seeing if you can change the shared memory there? I have an Acer laptop with the same chipset as your Toshiba and when I enter the BIOS I can change the ammount of memory shared to the Intel 945GM vid card. IF you do not know how to enter the BIOS, you usually turn off (sometimes on some computers you can just reboot) and turn it on. You will probably see some sort of screen right away with a TOSHIBA logo on it. Try hitting the 'del' or 'F2' buttons repediately. If that doesn't work, try looking on the TOSHIBA screen for it saying something as to ' Hit X button to enter setup ' and hit that button.

nope, no settings for the graphics there.. any suggestions?