Update Catalog: Proxy Error

svan71

Yet another reason to add KUC support to the toolkit

Sorry, but I don't agree. Adding support for KUC would make the app very complicated and scare begginers away. Also, at one point Win Toolkit had support for komm's servers, but komm decided it was ''bad'' from his perspective to let Win Toolkit users download from his servers; it was his right, I agree, but made alot of people unhappy.

The ''greater good'' in this matter in my opinion would be to keep asking komm to re-let Win Toolkit download from his servers, until hopefully he would agree, and offer an alternative for McRip for when his servers are down (and viceversa), and not ask Lego again and again to offer support for his tool. ''My way'' is offering alternatives to McRip while keeping Win Toolkit simple, ''your way'' is making Win Toolkit dependant on his tool and making it more complicated. :)

LE: Ontopic - the correct prerequisites for IE10 are in this official Microsoft article. From that screenshot it seems there are more added by default in Win Toolkit. Please Lego only add those from that article and please add a warning pop-up window or smth if IE10 is detected and the prerequisites aren't (for beginners). :)

Edited by RicaNeaga

Thought that was just me, I'm also getting that error message when trying to even check MCRIP for updates I need to download.

Same here on the error.  Sites that check if a site is up or down tell me it's just me.  I can ping the site though and get the custom site icon in the browser tab and I was able to download from the site yesterday during the day.

Yea it really sucks if you guys get any info please pm me, ill do the same.

@RicaNeaga

"... add those from that article and please add a warning pop-up window or smth if IE10 is detected and the prerequisites aren't (for beginners)"

Yes, i thing this will be very useful :)

Edited by oguz

Adding support for KUC would make the app very complicated and scare begginers away. Also, at one point Win Toolkit had support for komm's servers, but komm decided it was ''bad'' from his perspective to let Win Toolkit users download from his servers; it was his right, I agree, but made alot of people unhappy.

Shows how short sighted you are, 1- KUC option could only be available if it detects KUC executable in the same directory 2- KUC, NOT the toolkit will be in charge of downloading the updates 3- Who cares what komm did with his own server, its his to do with what he pleases...

All lego needs to do: if wtk detects KUC in the same dir enable it, ask user for a path to a repo folder (with any updates (s)he has already downloaded,) after wtk mounts the image it runs KUC with the following command

<kuc>.exe /DVD-Image-dir:<path_to_image_just_mounted> /up-dir:<any_temp_dir> /repo-dir:<repo_dir_specified_by_user>
Then the user clicks next and stuff, choose what updates (s)he needs, uses kuc to download missing updates from his repo folder and the user finishes...then the toolkit executes the CMD files in the "up-dir" to copy files to add, now that all the updates are copied and laid out for the toolkit all it needs to do is integrate the "normal" updates like it would normally and ONLY extract and install the LDR updates in the LDR folder

If you people want to blindly integrate updates not knowing if you need them or not be my guest, this is the last time you will hear me say this

I held off commenting because I wasn't able to define a method of using KUC in an integrated manner (i'm not a programmer or coder) but this is quite nice indeed

Shows how short sighted you are, 1- KUC option could only be available if it detects KUC executable in the same directory 2- KUC, NOT the toolkit will be in charge of downloading the updates 3- Who cares what komm did with his own server, its his to do with what he pleases...

All lego needs to do: if wtk detects KUC in the same dir enable it, ask user for a path to a repo folder (with any updates (s)he has already downloaded,) after wtk mounts the image it runs KUC with the following command

<kuc>.exe /DVD-Image-dir:<path_to_image_just_mounted> /up-dir:<any_temp_dir> /repo-dir:<repo_dir_specified_by_user>
Then the user clicks next and stuff, choose what updates (s)he needs, uses kuc to download missing updates from his repo folder and the user finishes...then the toolkit executes the CMD files in the "up-dir" to copy files to add, now that all the updates are copied and laid out for the toolkit all it needs to do is integrate the "normal" updates like it would normally and ONLY extract and install the LDR updates in the LDR folder

If you people want to blindly integrate updates not knowing if you need them or not be my guest, this is the last time you will hear me say this

Sorry but:

a lot of posts has nothing to do with the issue I have opened this thread for, neither KUC nor IE10-Prerequisite!

Mods, would be possible to separate this posts from this thread and move it to a new thread?

BTW, really nothing from me against KUC (I don't need it at the moment), but it generates a lot of not needed (for me) mail-traffic.

TNX, Thiersee

Sorry to be again offtopic, also hope an admin will split the discussion here.

@ricktendo I've already given you a reply in my last post, even before you've posted yours. What you are saying is, again, making Win Toolkit dependent on KUC app. And this is bad in my opinion, for a multitude of factors. Also...

It's like saying choosing updates is rocket science and we need KUC app to enlighten us all. I disagree again, and I was a supporter for Lego to make presets in his app, so people won't download & integrate everything in komm and McRip's servers (as the situation was in the beginning), but only what a regular user needs. For advanced users there is a possibility to disable that filter in Win Toolkit and show / download all.

Shows how short sighted you are

Right. So (a forced comparison) a Ford car user can go and complain that his car doesn't use a Mercedes engine, but I cannot be unhappy that after we were able to directly download from KUC servers now we aren't no more (let's say in that forced example that the car buyer used to be able to mount Mercedes engines in the Ford car).

Ok, KUC app is more advanced in finding out what updates are needed for the specific task, as probably Mercedes engines are better than Ford's, but once again I don't see why you cannot go to komm and ask him to let again Win Toolkit users download directly from his servers.

As is komm's right to do what he wants with his server, it's also an advanced user's right to be short-sighted (and think that what he knows should also be known by novices), it's also your ''right'' to be a KUC app fanboy, and it's also my ''right'' to be a Win Toolkit fanboy and ''strive'' to suggest ways of making it better while not making it dependent on other apps.

Also, last post from me on this matter, really a sterile conversation, as we're only ''supporters'' of the apps brought into the discussion, and not their developers. :)

I held off commenting because I wasn't able to define a method of using KUC in an integrated manner (i'm not a programmer or coder) but this is quite nice indeed

1- KUC option could only be available if it detects KUC executable in the same directory 2- KUC, NOT the toolkit will be in charge of downloading the updates 3- Who cares what komm did with his own server, its his to do with what he pleases...

I also think this would be a great addition to Win Toolkit.  As far as it being an external tool rather than "improving" Win Toolkit and/or having Komm make changes on his server so that Win Toolkit could have direct access, I view Win Toolkit using KUC as no different than Win Toolkit using DISM.  In both cases it's a matter of Win Toolkit taking advantage of and using an existing external tool that has already been developed for its specific purpose.  It has nothing at all to do with being a fan or supporter of Liam, Win Toolkit, Komm, or KUC, of which I am for all of them. And the use of KUC doesn't have to be default behavior for Win Toolkit, it could be an option.  Komm can still make modifications similar to what McRip did so that Win Toolkit can have access to the downloads.  This does not have to be an either/or.  Why can't it be both?  So, sorry RicaNeaga, I agree with both ricktendo and compstuff, and think adding the ability to use KUC would be a good addition to Win Toolkit.  I just don't see anything bad about it.

Cheers and Regards

@svan71 

Are you interested in only those updates? If you just need updates then try going to Komm's site and using his software at least to download.  You can then point Win Toolkit to use that download directory for integrating updates.  Sorry if that's not what you were looking for or too elementary, I'm new :) and that's how I've been working on getting my updates.

@bphlpt

Really my final take on this, don't want to turn it into a debate. It's a good comparison - KUC and DISM. Both are ''closed'' environments now. You can either use them or not; it's ''their way or the highway''.

I was reffering to advantages of having direct acces to komm's servers via Win Toolkit vs. implementing it. It would be the best way to have them both, I agree. Also, Lego already gave his opinion on thise a while back.

So my first concern was to bring back komm's servers support into Win Toolkit. I asked him via pm and didn't got a reply. I asked him also in another to be more transparent, and since his changelogs aren't always complete, and also since his KB files from his server aren't public, just make a .txt map of his server and keep it updated whenever changes occur. Again, no answer.

So now, I found the opportunity to ask ricktendo to do the same as me, to ask him to bring back komm's servers support into Win Toolkit, who's pms hopefully won't be unaswered by komm, but I found myself hit the brickwall of ricktendo's ''broad horizons'' vision and his dedication to the ''KUC cause'' no-matter-what.

So, in conclusion, I really hope that komm will make his approach on Microsoft's KB updates more transparent, with at least a .txt map of his server, and hopefully even allow once more Win Toolkit users to download from his servers, and in the meantime I really hope Lego won't encourage his Microsoft-like behaviour (again, his way or the highway). We live in a open-source era, don't we? :)

PS: Hope someone will pinpoint this disscusion to komm - it would be nice to find out his opinion, even through another person. :)