Bug - Unable to create an ISO of a WinPE.WIM file

Stimpy

Hi Lego,  Just wanted to report a bug in WIM Manager, that when you press the Make ISO button, there is nothing pre-populated in the folder to capture area, and is obviously unable to create an ISO file of the WIM.

I'm using version 1.4.1.18

EDIT

For the sake of clarity, I am trying to modify the Windows 8 WinPE.WIM, which is part of the Windows 8 Assessment & Deployment Kit.

Edited by Stimpy

Hi Lego,  Just wanted to report a bug in WIM Manager, that when you press the Make ISO button, there is nothing pre-populated in the folder to capture area, and is obviously unable to create an ISO file of the WIM.

What's the filepath of the install.wim?

What's the filepath of the install.wim?

Hi Lego,  the path is C:\WinPE\winpe.wim - as you can see, I'm playing with the Windows PE environment.

I can make the iso, but if I look inside it, it's just winpe.wim inside an ISO file.

At the moment it only does when Win Toolkit detects a 'Sources' folder within the file path.

Ahh, thanks for looking in to this Lego.

Is this something you will look at for the future one day?  I guess not many people will play around with WinPE with the toolkit...

Edited by Stimpy

Is it ALWAYS DVD\\winpe\\winpe? just like its always DVD\\sources\\install.wim

No, this was something I was playing with, and had moved in to that directory for ease of use purposes.

If you install the official Windows 8 Deployment Kit, the official paths are...  

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\en-us

And

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\x86\en-us

Edited by Stimpy

Your question was about WIM images! No trouble found.

But after you are talking about winpe iso file!

Create an iso file for winpe image:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709665(v=ws.10).aspx

oscdimg -n -bc:\winpe_x86\etfsboot.com c:\winpe_x86\ISO c:\winpe_x86\winpe_x86.iso
Edited by myselfidem

Your question was about WIM images! No trouble found.

But after you are talking about winpe iso file!

Create an iso file for winpe image:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709665(v=ws.10).aspx

oscdimg -n -bc:\winpe_x86\etfsboot.com c:\winpe_x86\ISO c:\winpe_x86\winpe_x86.iso
I'm sorry, but you need to read more carefully, as winpe.wim looks a lot like a .WIM file to me.

But thank you for the link. I was trying to be lazy, and just use WinToolKit to do the work for me, just using a few mouse clicks, and when it didn't work, I thought I'd ask about it.

WIM to ISO is a function of the Toolkit, I simply did not know that this functionality was limited to only WIM images that contain a version of a Windows OS.

Edited by Stimpy

I'm sorry, but you need to read more carefully, as winpe.wim looks a lot like a .WIM file to me.

:g:

*Edit: winpe.wim is inside: Windows AIK \Tools\PETools\(amd64 or ia64 and x86)...and not inside DVD Windows !

Edited by myselfidem

:g:

*Edit: winpe.wim is inside: Windows AIK \Tools\PETools\(amd64 or ia64 and x86)...and not inside DVD Windows !

I think we mis-understand each other.

My problem is that I tried to use the WIM Manager part of WinToolKit to make modifications to a WinPE.WIM that comes as part of the Windows 8 Assessment & Deployment Kit.

I did not know that the WIM Manager function of the ToolKit does not work with anything other than those WIM files that contain a full Windows OS.  I was simply thinking that the ToolKit was going to be a nice and easy short-cut for helping me make modifications to the WinPE.WIM file, (mount the WIM, make some modifications, save the WIM, then make an ISO out of it for PXE booting, functions that I thought the WIM Manager performed) and that's when I thought that I had found a problem with the Toolkit.

Now it seems to me that WIM Manager is not actually meant for use with ALL WIM files, only those that contain a full Operating System, and not the PE Environment.

Edited by Stimpy

Yes, as you seems to have learn, it's not the same process!

*Edit: WinToolkit can customize boot.wim and install.wim images !

You really annoy me.  You come across rude and arrogant.

I would like to know where it explicitly stated that the WIM Manager does not work on ALL WIM files?  Making me out to be some kind of idiot just makes you unwanted here.  This community is about helping each other, not laughing and pointing fingers at those that don't know every function of this program.  It's not like I was trying to use Logitech Setpoint to program the guidance system of a rocket!

Give errors trying to unmount winpe.wim image with WIM Manager!

Logfile

Exception:

Tool Name: WIM Manager (1.4.1.18)

Image Name: Windows Code Name "Longhorn" Preinstallation Environment

FileName: "C:\Windows\Temp\WinToolkit_Files\Imagex.exe"

Argument: /Unmount "C:\work" /commit

WIM File: C:\winpe_x86\winpe.wim

Mount Logging: True

Drive Type: Fixed

Free Space: 164.28 GB

IsReady: True

File Exists: True

Directory Exists: True

Files:

Directories: *C:\work\Program Files *C:\work\ProgramData *C:\work\Users *C:\work\Windows

Setting taskbar Progress

Setting taskbar Colour

Dumping Registry

Starting

Started

Closing #0

Closing #1

Closing #2

Detecting cause of error #1

Detecting cause of error #2

Detecting cause of error #3

Detecting cause of error #4

ImageX Tool for Windows

Copyright © Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved.

Version: 6.2.9200.16384

IMAGEX /UNMOUNT [/COMMIT] [image_path]

Unmounts a WIM image from the specified path.

image_path - The path to be unmounted.

Without FLAGS:

Lists mounted images.

Accepted FLAGS:

/COMMIT

Saves changes to the mounted WIM file. If not specified changes are discarded.

Example:

imagex /unmount /commit c:\mounted_images

Fixed

C:\

164.28 GB

Edited by myselfidem

@Stimpy

However if you have first customized your winpe.wim file using copype.cmd to create your distribution folder, and want create an iso file with WinToolkit...

This can be done but I haven't tested the iso file!

Edited by myselfidem

What happens when you try and use WIM Manager and an WinPE image? does it let you mount it? :)

Hi Lego,

Yeah, it mounts perfectly... No warnings.  It then opens the WinToolKit_Mount Folder, and the contents of it look correct.

It also unmounts correctly, with no warnings/errors.

The problem seems to be when you try to use the ISO Maker (by pressing the Make ISO button in the WIM Manager), as all it does is create an ISO that contains the WIM file (not decompressed). Also the ISO Maker is not pre-populated with the file/folder location information.

Is this intended behaviour, as I have never used the WIM Manager before?

Edited by Stimpy

You really annoy me.  You come across rude and arrogant.

Where do you find that ?

*Edit: About iso winpe, read my answer post #20

*Edit_2: I'm sorry if you felt hurt, it was not my intention!

Edited by myselfidem