Virus/malware in Win Toolkit

MAXtoriX

I've very bad and strange expirience with version WinToolkit v1.4.1.16. When I put it in my drive D:\xxxx and make shortcut from it on Desktop, after 2-click / enter WinToolkit doesn't want to run at all, after close and re-open explorer the shortcut wasn't there (on Desktop), I've made a new shortcut and after 2-click shortcut automaticaly delete it self?! And I've tried this two-three times more and I always got the same result.

After that I've to move WinTookit.exe on the Desktop and run it from there. It start without any problem... but after couple of minutes all icons, files and folders from Desktop ware deleted - not exactly all of them - I've checked the folders from explorer and I've found that some thing delete all files in C:\Users\MyProfile\Desktop, but not in C:\Users\All Users\Desktop - so for that reasons shortcuts from other programs what ware created for All Users remain on my Desktop.

I've test WinToolkit for file infections and Microsoft Security Essentials give me positive malware on the file (file was downloaded via autoupdate from Windows 7 x64, before I've used version 1.4.1.14 - and everything was fine).

I've used almost every new version of WinToolkit from 2009 till now. In this moment I'm using old version 1.4.1.14 - and again everything is fine, except lossing of 28GB files from Desktop :( because of version v1.4.1.16.

I have worked with v1.4.1.16 and still have it on my hdd ( cause I'm collecting all versions of WinToolkit ) and I can tell you, that there was ( and is ) no virus inside.

post-26823-0-90437600-1363181949_thumb.j

Edited by caphp

Sorry to hear about the issues you are having with the items on your desktop.

I have to concur with ianymaty and caphp.  You will not find any malware or viruses in WinToolKit.  I have experience with WinToolKit going back about six months and never really experienced any similar behavior.  

However I have played with a few configurations that leave the desktop items hidden.  So please double check that your desktop items are showing by right clicking the desktop and selecting View > Show all Desktop Items.

If your files did indeed get deleted for whatever reason you can try applications like Recuva to restore deleted files (so long as they havn't been overwritten).

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.70.0.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2013.03.13.09

Windows 8 x64 NTFS
Internet Explorer 10.0.9200.16519
xAdmin :: NODACHI [administrator]

3/13/2013 12:45:18 PM
mbam-log-2013-03-13 (12-45-18).txt

Scan type: Custom scan (Z:\Software\WinToolKit|)
Scan options enabled: File System | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | Heuristics/Extra | P2P
Objects scanned: 147
Time elapsed: 5 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

post-43405-0-04609400-1363193391_thumb.p

Edited by splinterededge

Also, double check and post here what you had selected as the location for Win Toolkit's temporary files.  It sounds like somehow that C:\Users\MyProfile\Desktop got set as the temporary files location.  If so, that would explain why everything in it got deleted by Win Toolkit.  But it still seems like a bizarre error.

Cheers and Regards