Share Media Control Panel

JohnBlack

Hello

is it safe to remove this package from windows 7 ultimate x64 i'm not gonna use windows media player, media center, dvd maker, and share any media player files in the network ?

thanks for answer

Edited by JohnBlack

I don't know, but my question to you is why do you want to bother removing it?  Personally, I remove absolutely nothing at all.  Today, with memory, CPU, and hard disc sizes, speeds, and costs being what they are, there is just not the need or advantage to stripping the OS like there used to be.  I know some people still like to do it, and I understand the concept, but to quote a signature I saw recently, if I remember it correctly:  "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."  So even if there should not be an issue to remove some functions from the OS that you have no plans on ever using, you really never know.  I would leave the package alone, disable it and/or disable any related services, but leave the package installed.  Just my two cents.

Cheers and Regards

While it was easier to remove items from Windows XP and previous Windows OSes, it is not easier in the newer Win 7 and 8.  While "technically" the packages can be removed from the installation source, the saving of space is not that great and you will *definitely* have problems if a program requires the packages you remove.  To fix the "problem" of removed packages would require a complete reinstallation from a complete install source.  IMHO, it is not worth it just for that small amount of space savings.

And for the record, I completely agree with bphlpt and Kelsenellenelvian.