Is WinToolkit dead ?

pedilover

The update servers from McRip are down. He shows us the "finger" !

And Lego says unfortunately nothing to this ?!

His latest Version 21 does really not work properly and nothing happens ?!

In earlier time he was very busy to find the bugs. Is he frusteted from all the bugs he is always finding since several month ?

Regards

I hope really the development of this genial tool goes on ......

I must agree with Ricktendo;  However the status of the McRip servers really isn't an issue if you try something like KUC to get your updates.  The McRip servers are awesome but I'm sure bandwidth and cost got out of hand quickly since there were so many people using them (some people over and over again I'm sure).

WinToolKit is thriving, with a release less then a week ago it shows that Lego, Ricktendo and the WinToolKit community is doing really well.

I've suggested several times that the same method now used by AutoPatcher be adopted.  That is that McRip or whoever merely maintain a database of the MS direct links, rather than the files themselves.  That way, MS can't get upset at anyone since all users would download directly from MS, and McRip or whoever wouldn't have their bandwidth abused, etc.  I agree it would be nice if someone would provide FTP access for a copy of the files as a backup so that we wouldn't be totally dependent on MS, but theoretically MS could shut that down if it was in a country that allowed that, so there is a risk.  I agree that torrents are yet another option.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Currently the updates can only be downloaded from komm's site only by KUC due to bandwidth issues.
There is an easy way to download updates from Microsoft  http://catalog.update.microsoft.com

It has all the updates for almost every MS product

The KUC utility have all the details of updates and their Microsoft support link. So is it possible to make a software which searches Microsoft Update Catalog for updates displays a list of things found and the user can select the updates needed and download them.

Manually Googling the KB numbers of updates for their MS names and then using this name on the MS update catalog for downloading takes a very long time

Edited by amaltom61

ok windows toolkit is not dead.liam did say in another post that he wouldn't be releasing updates as often as before.due to him concentration on bug fixes and code changes.also he is very busy at university and his studies must come first and foremost.he is using wintoolkit as his subject at university so it will remain as an updated toolkit.as for mcrip servers some script  kiddie decided to hack his servers that is why we all being shown the finger as he is understandably pissed right now.its always a small minority that ruins it for the majority.and most of all remember that liam does not charge for his time or coding he is but one man trying to help thousand accomplish their goals with the use of his toolkit.be patient good things will follow.

you can also download hotfixes direct from www.thehotfixshare.net. its not ideal but it has all up to date hotfixes.

Edited by reptileodeath

Microsoft has the resources to "fight" that kind of attack.  Be it by 'load balancing', 'virtual servers', or whatever it is they do.  A majority of the updates are not an issue as they are accessible by everyone.  The *special* updates that are rarely handed (have no direct links) out would be my only concern.

Just remember, WinToolKit's primary goal is to be able to install / integrate the updates into a Windows source.  It is only as a secondary function can you also download the updates from the tool.

Nobody hacked Microsoft. MacRip got hacked.

Microsoft has the resources to "fight" that kind of attack.  Be it by 'load balancing', 'virtual servers', or whatever it is they do.  A majority of the updates are not an issue as they are accessible by everyone.  The *special* updates that are rarely handed (have no direct links) out would be my only concern.

Just remember, WinToolKit's primary goal is to be able to install / integrate the updates into a Windows source.  It is only as a secondary function can you also download the updates from the tool.

• 4 weeks later...

@pedilover,

Please stop spouting doom and gloom and the sky is falling and Win Toolkit will never be updated again type messages.  You've been a member here long enough to know that for every free volunteer software project on this and all other boards folks involvement ebbs and flows with the reaction to RL circumstances.  If you don't want to use the product and/or wait that's fine.  But please keep your opinions about its future to yourself.

Cheers and Regards

I'm still coding, don't worry. Code re-factoring is taking longer than expected. I'm a one man team going through about 50,000+ lines of code whilst University and outdoor stuff.

I'm planning on using Win Toolkit for my final year project so I can't really stop lol. People also got annoyed with me releasing updates too often, so i've slowed them down.

I don't reply on posts much as each time I log in, i have a bunch of new PMs which should have been put on the forum to deal with.

Lego: I think you can release as many updates as you want if they are labeled as beta/testing/whatever, but perhaps should to better to be sure all major functions are working before releasing a "release" version.
Latest released version (1.4.1.22) have regression which force me and others users to use 1.4.1.16

• 2 weeks later...

dear lego, McRip, and everyone else here:

Thank you for a wonderful product...and I hope to have my new disc up soon, so I can upgrade mine and my wife's systems to have all the fixings...

my doggies would love to contribute as well, but seeing as the only thing they can actually PHYSICALLY contribute, I don't think anyone truly wants, I'll just convey their warm and happy thoughts, instead.

I'd bring a picture of them, if I could, but I think they ate the cameraphone....sorry! :-/

• 5 months later...

WOW why is this disrespectful thread still open?

I see no promise in the post you quote.

You get what you pay for! REMEMBER Wintoolkit IS FREE!!!!

He doesn't get paid for it and needs to have an actual LIFE. 

UNLESS you and others would just like him to do this just for you and be a e-slave?

Hell none of us know he could be dead for all we know yet here you are being a dill-weed about it....

EDIT ... @pedilover Anymore blatant disrespect of lego or any other developer\staff of WinCert will net you a vacation from WinCert. Your disrespect is not going to help anyone's situation or get you your way any quicker.

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:38 PMWhen my employment ends on 1st September, I will have lots more time to work on WinToolkit and of course University studies 

But he couldn't keep his promise, because his studies take up too much time ?

give him time

I just don't get what you people are smoking.  Just because Legolash2o has a real life and cannot put as much work into this "free" project, then his work gets claimed as dead.

I myself would not call his work dead.  A bit slowed down (due of course to real life), but not dead.  That is unless it is posted that he is done with working on WinToolKit.  (But don't count on that last one.)

Give the man some time.  Hell, donate the man some money.  He will update soon enough.