[Solved] Problem With Certain x64 Images

greyhawk3

1st let me say what an excellent tool WinToolkit is.  Have been using it successfully for a month or two now, since at least rev .13.  I'm currently using rev .22 and have encountered a problem with my x64 disc.  I'm always starting from an unmodified MSOFT SP1 ISO and have perfected a set of (tested) presets called StdPresets-x86-r2.ini.  Essentially I'm integrating [DPS] mass storage drivers,  a bunch of Windows Updates (been using WSUSOffline for years), IE9 (d/l'd from WinCert's repo), and the dot .Net 4.5 addin (also from WinCert.)  updates.  I slipstream my INSTALL.WIM, gen a new ISO, test the x86 image in a VMWare VM and I'm a happy camper !

Now I load the same presets, remove x86 drivers and updates, replacing them with the corresponding x64 drivers and updates, which becomes StdPresets-x64-r2.ini and apply them to my x64 SP1 ISO.  I slipstream the INSTALL.WIM, gen a new ISO, but unfortunately I don't have a x64 CPU w/ VT, so I have to wait until I go someplace where I can do some testing, only to discover that the Windows setup fails in the 2nd phase of installation !  The precise symtom is that the WinToolkit installer is launched about mid-point thru the 2nd phase of Windows setup.  After which Windows setup complains about an error in the installation and that's all she wrote.  Subsequent reboots only reveal that Windows setup can't get pass the detected error and I should reboot, which never clears the error.  Normally (at least under the successful x86 setups), the WinToolkit Installer isn't invoked til the very end of the final (third) phase of Windows setup.

I've seen this failure while working on my x86 ISO, but haven't a clue of how I got past it.  Probably I started from scratch w/ the presets.  IAC, I've attached the preset that's giving me trouble, in case a kind soul has encountered this failure and can diagnose the failure.  Meantime, I will continue to resolve my own problems by recreating the x64 completely from scratch.

Thanx in advance for any feedback.   :---  MR  ---:

Std.Presets-x64-r2.ini

Edited by greyhawk3

Why do you want to install 32bit patches within a 64bit OS?

KB2506143::N/A (Not Needed);NO;11.72 MB;C:\Projects\wsusoffline\client\w61\glb\Windows6.1-KB2506143-x86.msu;Always Installed
KB2592687::N/A (Not Needed);NO;4.35 MB;C:\Projects\wsusoffline\client\w61\glb\Windows6.1-KB2592687-x86.msu;Always Installed

Did you install KB2574819 befor (prerequisite)?

MfG, Thiersee

Edit:

OK, I saw KB2574819 in the INI-file ;) !

Edited by Thiersee

Why do you want to install 32bit patches within a 64bit OS?

KB2506143::N/A (Not Needed);NO;11.72 MB;C:\Projects\wsusoffline\client\w61\glb\Windows6.1-KB2506143-x86.msu;Always Installed

KB2592687::N/A (Not Needed);NO;4.35 MB;C:\Projects\wsusoffline\client\w61\glb\Windows6.1-KB2592687-x86.msu;Always Installed

Did you install KB2574819 befor (prerequisite)?

MfG, Thiersee

Edit:

OK, I saw KB2574819 in the INI-file ;)

I started over from completely scratch (w/o any presets) and happened to receive [yesterday] a Core 2 Duo PC for repair, so I temporarily have a 64-bit test bed.  I know I've eliminated those two x86 updates that I previously overlooked.

My 1st attempt which was (from scratch) as described in my original post and failed as before.  My most recent attempt eliminated the dot Net installer and Mar 2013 rollup, which at least eliminated the premature launch of the WinToolkit installer but Windows setup still complains about a misconfiguration error.  I'm removing KB2592687 as referred to in bphlpt's post.  If that fails, I may have to go back to a previous rev of WinToolkit.

BTW, thanx for the feedback and the use of the brain cells...

This thread is closed.  Thanks to all, esp bphlpt who directed me to the thread regarding KB2592687.  I removed that update, as well as the Mar'13 rollup and I have at least two working x64 discs (Eng+Spa.)  If I owned a PC capable of 64-bit VM guests, in spite of the hours it would take, I'd still try and narrow it down to the precisely troublesome update, in order slipstream all available updates.

As I close, I want to reiterate that WinToolkit is great tool and has been a big help in the deployment of Win7 WRT my repair jobs....

Edited by greyhawk3