Problem with split install.wim

carlese

Hi everyone, I'm starting this topic because I have a strange problem.. I created my personal Windows 8 ISO, with all the updates and office 2013 integrated, used wintoolkit and winreducer to remove the things I don't need and rebuilt my iso.. If i install my ISO in virtualbox as it is, everything is fine, but since I have to put it in a fat32 USB stick and my install.wim is 6.5GB, i have to split it.. i use the command:

Dism /Split-Image /ImageFile:C:\install.wim /SWMFile:C:\install.swm /FileSize:4096

But when I try to install the new ISO, it gives me an error (Windows cannot find the Microsoft Software License Terms. Make sure the installation sources are valid and restart the installation).. am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Ok, I created an USB stick in NTFS and rebooted my PC, but when i try to boot from usb (USB-HDD or ZIP) i get the error "a disk error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart". I tried many programs to format my USB stick but no luck.. i then tried to put my USB stick in my notebook and it booted just fine, without problems..

I assume it is a BIOS related problem, right?

My specs:

MoBO: GIGABYTE P43T-ES3G (REV. 1.3) BIOS F7 (F8 gives me problems with overclock)
SSD: Samsung 840 Basic 250GB
HDD: WDD 250GB
Bios setting: AHCI

Edited by carlese

Kel, I think he said he understood that, so he kept the wim in one piece and tried to use a USB stick instead, I assume of the appropriate size, and he is still having problems, but only on his desktop PC.  His laptop boots and installs just fine using the exact same USB stick.  And I think he said that he tried both a USB stick and a USB HDD, if I understood him correctly.  So if that is true, then it seems his conclusion that it is some kind of "BIOS related problem", might be correct.  Whether or not I understood him correctly, if he can provide any more information it would probably be helpful.

EDIT:  It also seems this diecussion is being carried on in more detail here.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Kel, I think he said he understood that, so he kept the wim in one piece and tried to use a USB stick instead, I assume of the appropriate size, and he is still having problems, but only on his desktop PC.  His laptop boots and installs just fine using the exact same USB stick.  And I think he said that he tried both a USB stick and a USB HDD, if I understood him correctly.  So if that is true, then it seems his conclusion that it is some kind of "BIOS related problem", might be correct.  Whether or not I understood him correctly, if he can provide any more information it would probably be helpful.

EDIT:  It also seems this diecussion is being carried on in more detail here.

Cheers and Regards

yes, you understood correctly..  these are my system specs:

MoBO: GIGABYTE P43T-ES3G (REV. 1.3) BIOS F7 (F8 gives me problems with overclock)

SSD: Samsung 840 Basic 250GB

HDD: WDD 250GB

Bios setting: AHCI

I don't see how to fix this problem.. help me :(

Is this all Win8 problem? Can you boot from USB stick when Win7 setup files are on the stick? Or any other OS setup files?

With the stick connected what are the options in BIOS for:

Hard Disk Boot Priority

First Boot Device