Any chance of an update for windows 8.1 soon?

spidernz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have you installed latest ADK to get newer version of Dism to actually be actually able to prep Windows 8.1 Image on windows 7 Host?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=39982

AFAIK...Windows 7 Dism isnt compatible with Windows 8.1

There isnt much incompatibility in WinToolkit itself IMHO.

Edited by Etz

I install the ADK 8.1 but same thing happen'

Yes, because WinToolkit uses Dism located in C:\Windows\System32

ADK places newer Dism into C:\Program Files(x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\

Result is that you can use newer Dism from commandline from there..

Edited by Etz

Tested my self couple of days, WinToolkit latest version works fine with windows 8.1

Integrates updates succesfully, etc...

Only catch is that you have to run it on Windows 8.1 host if you want to work on windows 8.1 image or anomalies will start to pop up.

Which is ofcourse pretty obvious as Windows 7 dism doesnt support Windows 8.1 which uses much newer dism. ;)

I didnt try removals, as it usually breaks something...

If you remove something and discover afterwards that you need it, there is absolutely no way to get it back.

I learned my lessons long time ago, some games didnt install, because they needed media player playback capabilities, couple programs didnt run, they needed IE components, etc...

After that i just disable unused packages via Unattended.xml, so I can always turn them back on, with "Programs and Features" if needed...

Also SSD`s are pretty cheap already and 240GB is pretty sufficent for me, as I use NAS`es as my primary Data storage.

Its really not worth the hassle IMHO, as you wont get any real performance gains...

Edited by Etz

I install the ADK 8.1 but same thing happen'

Yes, because WinToolkit uses Dism located in C:\Windows\System32

ADK places newer Dism into C:\Program Files(x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\

Result is that you can use newer Dism from commandline from there..

You guys can try the trick used to replace notepad.exe with notepad2.exe using this reg tweak (but edit it with the correct path/executable for use with dism.exe)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\notepad.exe]"Debugger"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Notepad2\\Notepad2.exe\" /z"
May need one for x86 pointing to x86 dism. And one for x64 pointing to the amd64 dism plus a second entry in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node pointing to the x86 dism

Nobydy try it yet?

Here is the reg code in case you are having problems modding the one above

x64

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\dism.exe]"Debugger"="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Windows Kits\\8.1\\Assessment and Deployment Kit\\Deployment Tools\\amd64\\DISM\\dism.exe\""
x86

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\dism.exe]"Debugger"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Windows Kits\\8.1\\Assessment and Deployment Kit\\Deployment Tools\\x86\\DISM\\dism.exe\""

• 2 months later...

OK I've made Win Toolkit scan for all locations of DISM and then use the latest version. I've add 'C:\\Program Files\\Windows Kits\\8.1\\Assessment and Deployment Kit\\Deployment Tools\\x86\\DISM\\dism.exe' so from the next release it will you whatever it finds that is newer.

Probably best option would be actually to be able to choose its location?

Eq point WinToolkit, under options, to use whatever version you actually prefer, like Windows Hotfix Downloader allows you to do?

Done. I've add the ability the point to a specific DISM.exe you specify.

However, Win Toolkit will use the latest that it finds. During the scanning phase, it will also scan the DISM you specified.

Where does it scan for? I mean what folders? It should be at least 6 right? Win 7 x86 and x64, Win 8 x86 and x64 and win 8.1 x86 and x64. Or win 8 and 8.1 have the same folder location for DISM? 

if (File.Exists(cMain.SysFolder + "\\Dism.exe")) { sDISMFound.Add(cMain.SysFolder + "\\Dism.exe"); }            if (!string.IsNullOrEmpty(cOptions.DISMLoc) && File.Exists(cOptions.DISMLoc)) { sDISMFound.Add(cOptions.DISMLoc); }            if (cMain.Arc64 && File.Exists(cMain.SysProgFiles + "\\Windows Kits\\8.1\\Assessment and Deployment Kit\\Deployment Tools\\amd64\\DISM\\dism.exe")) { sDISMFound.Add(cMain.SysProgFiles + "\\Windows Kits\\8.1\\Assessment and Deployment Kit\\Deployment Tools\\amd64\\DISM\\dism.exe"); }            if (!cMain.Arc64 && File.Exists(cMain.SysProgFiles + "\\Windows Kits\\8.1\\Assessment and Deployment Kit\\Deployment Tools\\x86\\DISM\\dism.exe")) { sDISMFound.Add(cMain.SysProgFiles + "\\Windows Kits\\8.1\\Assessment and Deployment Kit\\Deployment Tools\\x86\\DISM\\dism.exe"); }            if (cMain.Arc64 && File.Exists(cMain.SysProgFiles + "\\Windows Kits\\8.0\\Assessment and Deployment Kit\\Deployment Tools\\amd64\\DISM\\dism.exe")) { sDISMFound.Add(cMain.SysProgFiles + "\\Windows Kits\\8.0\\Assessment and Deployment Kit\\Deployment Tools\\amd64\\DISM\\dism.exe"); }            if (!cMain.Arc64 && File.Exists(cMain.SysProgFiles + "\\Windows Kits\\8.0\\Assessment and Deployment Kit\\Deployment Tools\\x86\\DISM\\dism.exe")) { sDISMFound.Add(cMain.SysProgFiles + "\\Windows Kits\\8.0\\Assessment and Deployment Kit\\Deployment Tools\\x86\\DISM\\dism.exe"); }            if (File.Exists(cMain.SysProgFiles + " (x86)\\Windows Kits\\8.1\\Assessment and Deployment Kit\\Deployment Tools\\amd64\\DISM\\dism.exe")) { sDISMFound.Add(cMain.SysProgFiles + " (x86)\\Windows Kits\\8.1\\Assessment and Deployment Kit\\Deployment Tools\\amd64\\DISM\\dism.exe"); }            if (File.Exists(cMain.SysProgFiles + " (x86)\\Windows Kits\\8.0\\Assessment and Deployment Kit\\Deployment Tools\\amd64\\DISM\\dism.exe")) { sDISMFound.Add(cMain.SysProgFiles + " (x86)\\Windows Kits\\8.0\\Assessment and Deployment Kit\\Deployment Tools\\amd64\\DISM\\dism.exe"); }            if (File.Exists(cMain.SysProgFiles + "\\Windows AIK\\Tools\\Servicing\\Dism.exe")) { sDISMFound.Add(cMain.SysProgFiles + "\\Windows AIK\\Tools\\Servicing\\Dism.exe"); }            if (cMain.Arc64 && File.Exists(cMain.SysProgFiles + "\\Windows AIK\\Tools\\amd64\\Servicing\\Dism.exe")) { sDISMFound.Add(cMain.SysProgFiles + "\\Windows AIK\\Tools\\amd64\\Servicing\\Dism.exe"); }            if (!cMain.Arc64 && File.Exists(cMain.SysProgFiles + "\\Windows AIK\\Tools\\x86\\Servicing\\Dism.exe")) { sDISMFound.Add(cMain.SysProgFiles + "\\Windows AIK\\Tools\\x86\\Servicing\\Dism.exe"); }            if (File.Exists(cMain.SysFolder + "\\Win8Dism\\Dism.exe")) { sDISMFound.Add(cMain.SysFolder + "\\Win8Dism\\Dism.exe"); }

Was easier for me just to paste in the code lol.

Im not sure, but whats about to include the disms in WTK? what is dism's lic-type?

May much ppls hvnt no ADK installed or other locations instead %programfiles(x86)% etc.

I remember in earlyer time u need a file (few kb) from 1+GB ADK, most users didnt agree and found no other ways.