Question about Win Toolkit Component Remover

ericore

To my knowledge dism does not save  changes to the datastream.

However, I began experimenting with DISM.

The original directory size of the mount folder is 10396, and the original wim size is 2.422.

I removed some stuff, and added some windows updates.

The balance was 10254 directory size and the wim size 2.618

I then exported this wim image and the wim size went to 2.575

My question is, the fok(If I may speak frankly)?

I can tell you that the updates took 360 mb, to get to the 10254.

Now if dism does not save the datastream, then the size of the wim should be 2.422 + compressed 360MB.

Now the dism size being 2.575, it means the updates were compressed to 153MB which makes sense since the sum of the updates is 96MB, + all all the junk files the updates leave on the windows installation.

That being said, the only point to dism that I see are to add drivers and updates, and remove unused components that won't take less space off the disc, but will take more space off the hard drive.

That said, I guess the same applies to the component remover within Win Toolkit, or does it pull any fancy moves to reduce the size of the iso as some other tools do?  Either answer is ok, but if its the former it would be nice if you included the amount of space it would save on the hard drive for each component so the user can make more intellegent decisions as few users actually know what each component means, and your descriptions are not shall I say, user friendly.

Personally, I preffer dism for integrading stuff as I did try the toolkit for this, but I found it very misleading and buggy.

I am well aware that for the most part DISM does not save the datastream.

However,

The best I understand, is that Win Toolkit "removes" things the official way through DISM, so as you say it removes "unused components that won't take less space off the disc, but will take more space off the hard drive", ie it doesn't remove anything off the install disc, it just doesn't install those things so it makes your installed system a little smaller.

Cheers and Regards