Driver Integration Makes Installation Fail

WarZ

Hello again :)

Okay Ive done a number of integrations with win toolkit so far.  I was able to successfully integrate the basic updates on my first attempt.

However when Ive tried to integrate drivers, it causes my installations to fail.  They keep restarting the machine.

I'm working with:

Workstations OS using win toolkit :   Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

OS being integrated:   Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit  (X17-59186.iso)

Driverpacks being installed:

DP_amdfilter

DP_cardreaders

DP_chipset

DP_lan

DP_massstorage

DP_misc

DP_monitors

DP_wlan

After integrating the drivers my install ends up endlessly rebooting after the first restart after the files are copied over to the new machine.  It occurs on a vmware virtual machine as well as a physical machine.  I'm assuming a driver is causing the crash.  I started with having DP_audio in the installation, but have removed it as the first step in troubleshooting.

Also for a test I went ahead and did an integration as above using rt7lite drivers integration since in past builds I've had success with it.  It also created the crash as well.

I've done 5 integration variations (very time consuming) so far and am planning to test through more.  So before I go ahead and start troubleshooting with numerous integrations, anyone know which pack is causing me grief ?  Could I be using the software incorrectly ?

Also as a side problem that I havent spent too much time on yet ->  My attempts at unattended installs are not producing a fully unattended process.  Do I just need to drop that autounattend.xml file in the root directory of the install disc ?  Or does that go in sources ?  Or am I simply futzing that up too ;)

TY very much !

Edited by WarZ

My goal is to create an iso that after installation on one machine, I can image the c: drive and slap that image on numerous other machines of differing components.  And hopefully create a situation of maximum compatibility with a single transferable image.  So as new hard drives, motherboard/core upgrades are done on different machines, I can image over and carry on.

I've used this strategy in the past successfully with xp pro, so hoping to do a reboot of the idea for windows 7 professional.

Driver integration is tricky. You want to keep as little as possible the number of drivers integrated to avoid such problems.

Only integrate drivers that are in Win7 folder as they are tested to be compatible with Win7. Don't use the drivers from other folders of DP's

You only need massstorage, chipset (and probably USB3, if you have this in your computer) drivers integrated. All the remaining drivers should go in a folder "Drivers" in the root of the install.

In this way just the needed drivers for that particular computer will be installed from the "Drivers" folder and not bloat the driverstore with all the DP drivers.

Thank you for the advice, I do appreciate the replies.

I'm in the process of doing the incremental testing now.  It's just going to be a very long process.

My hope was that the issue has been noted by another user and someone had figured out which packs or drivers would be the most circumspect, and where would be the best ones to start working with.  With the time it takes to run the integrations, I'll only get 1 or 2 possible attempts a day at em :)

I'll go ahead and start with the chipset.  Then mass storage.  Then lastly lan.  If thats stable I will put the rest in a folder as recommended.

So based on ianymaty's reply, do folks generally put in drivers ?  Or do most just leave them out because of problems ?

Some results so far:

Integrating DP_mass storage drivers only:
*  Actual Hardware (i5 haswell, b85m chipset mb)  ...  OS installs fine.
*  Actual Hardware (a10-6700,a85x chipset mb)  ...  OS installs fine.
*  VMWare Machine  ...  OS installs fine.

Integrating DP_chipset drivers only:
*  Actual Hardware (i5 haswell, b85m chipset mb)  ...  OS installs fine, however, USB native drivers / support becomes damaged.  As in, I cant use USB devices at all once windows is installed.  I can use a standard keyboard to get through the initial menus, but even in desktop on regular boot, or even in safe mode, I have zero input from USB devices.  Input from USB works fine in bios, so its the install that has the issue.
*  Actual Hardware (a10-6700,a85x chipset mb)  ...  OS installs fine, no issue with USB inputs.
*  VMWare Machine  ...  OS installs fine.  No issues with USB inputs but didnt expect one with the vmware machine.

I'm so far going with the assumption that its just the newer hardware having issues with the current driver packs.  I havent found the pack which caused the install fail specifically.

Question as well:  The base install folder for win764pro before driver integration is 3.10 GB.  After installing massstorage or chipset driver packs it sits around 2.99 to 3.01 GB.  Is there a reason I'm seeing a smaller wim file after adding drivers ?  Is that an effect of the rebuild ?

TY

I have the same problem when I integrate my chipset drivers, I cannot use my mouse & kb during oobe...I have to integrate the older usb chipset drivers and after setup I install the latest

I have ICH10 chipset (ichausb.inf)

02/25/2008, 9.0.0.1005 ***WORKING FINE***

07/31/2013, 9.1.9.1006 ***USB BROKEN ON 1ST BOOT***

Curious, what is the hadware id of your usb chipset in the i5? (so I can tell you what INF it is)

After I used a standard KB to get through oobe and to the desktop the problem still persisted.  Booting into safe mode it existed too.  Are you saying that after you did the oobe and finally booted into desktop you then had usb support ?  Or still no usb support until you go and reinstall drivers ?

Which particular device manager item do I look at to find the ID you're interested in ?

I have the same problem when I integrate my chipset drivers, I cannot use my mouse & kb during oobe...I have to integrate the older usb chipset drivers and after setup I install the latest

I have ICH10 chipset (ichausb.inf)

02/25/2008, 9.0.0.1005 ***WORKING FINE***

07/31/2013, 9.1.9.1006 ***USB BROKEN ON 1ST BOOT***

Curious, what is the hadware id of your usb chipset in the i5? (so I can tell you what INF it is)

I have problems too... BOSD when load drivers during installation...

Regards...

Edited by alfreire

• 3 weeks later...