[Solved] WinToolkit Installer - intsalling office fails

Etz

For some strange reason (v.1.4.33) it always fails Office 2013 Click-To-Run installer.

If its executed from commandline afterwards, it always installs just fine, using the same switches and config file:

Setup.exe /configure config.xml

Internet conenctivity shouldnt be a problem (though it exists), as all files are local and copied with a whole directory.

Also it works fine when executed afterwards from commandline, from the very same folder on DVD.

XML itself is located in the same folder as Setup.exe and is copied along with all other files into Wintoolkit_Apps\Office folder.

From the installer log, it looks like it fails to load XML, as this part of silent switch containing Config file (or its "path") doesnt get passed to Office Setup by WinToolkit Installer.

In a result, Setup.exe thinks that he has to uninstall office, which will ofcourse also fail as Office wasnt installed in a first place.

As a side note: "Default value" is remove all, when using /configure switch without XML containing <Add Package> statement. ;)

03/16/2014 14:18:37.551    SETUP (0xa30)    0x158        Click-To-Run    anwv1    Medium    Configuration::Load: Using the default values. No config file supplied.  
Edited by Etz

Apparently this is not Office Specific, but will occure with every single application which needs external file loaded with Setup.

And it`s not Wintoolkit Installer bug, as in such circumstances XML should be provided with full path, which is impossible as Windows lacks anykind of variable for Install source.

Which boils down to that unfamous debate about %CDROM% variable and lack of it already in the XP era...

Still It would be interesting to know, how Wintoolkit actually handles this, to find Apps or Drivers folder?

Basically this thread is obsolete and Office cannot be installed in such a way with WinToolkit... :(

Only Option would be integrate XML into Windows image (via AIO Tool, Files tab), so %SystemDrive% or somekind of other Enviroment variable could be used to load this XML.

Edited by Etz

Tried this approach on the current Stable, there it was "no go", will download latest test version then and will try it ASAP, if it works its a really neat feature.... :w00t:

Actually I suspect you was thinking:

Setup.exe /configure %DVD%:\\WinToolkit_Apps\\Office2013\\config.xml

Actually I suspect you was thinking:

Setup.exe /configure %DVD%:\\WinToolkit_Apps\\Office2013\\config.xml

Yep, exactly what I was thinking. However the new test version of the minute only uses install.ini in the sources folder. One should be created as soon as you open WIM manager and select an image.

Unfortunately cannot test it, as latest Testing version (Test 8), just refuses to run :(

Description:  Stopped workingProblem signature:  Problem Event Name:    CLR20r3  Problem Signature 01:    wintoolkit.exe  Problem Signature 02:    1.4.34.8  Problem Signature 03:    5326356e  Problem Signature 04:    System.Drawing  Problem Signature 05:    2.0.0.0  Problem Signature 06:    520b1a3d  Problem Signature 07:    457  Problem Signature 08:    79  Problem Signature 09:    System.ArgumentException  OS Version:    6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.4  Locale ID:    1061Read our privacy statement online:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=280262If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:  C:\WINDOWS\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

post-3142-0-01251300-1395075291_thumb.pn

Try test 10 please :) It should write a log in the system32 folder.

Pretty same result:

Problem signature:  Problem Event Name:    CLR20r3  Problem Signature 01:    wintoolkit.exe  Problem Signature 02:    1.4.34.10  Problem Signature 03:    532735dc  Problem Signature 04:    System.Drawing  Problem Signature 05:    2.0.0.0  Problem Signature 06:    520b1a3d  Problem Signature 07:    457  Problem Signature 08:    79  Problem Signature 09:    System.ArgumentException  OS Version:    6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.4  Locale ID:    1061

Unfortunately didnt find anything WinToolkit related from System32 folder.

What is that log file name?

Basically it instantly crashes, even before the GUI is displayed.

Edited by Etz

Ok, found what is causing this problem, as opposite to the Older Stable version, this version doesnt like when it`s being run from Network Drive (Network Share). :doh:

Edited by Etz

Meanwhile, I started to test that Office install thingy, will report back soon... :)

EDIT: Image compiled, VM is installing... :icon_cool:

Edited by Etz

#Any line starting with a # are comments and will be ignored.#Lets you specify the configuration of the installers#InstallDir is where your apps are located.#DriverDir is which directories to scan for inf files.#Reboot makes RunOnce reboot Windows after completion.[Config]INSTALLDIR=Sources\AppsDRIVERDIR=Sources\Drivers#Here are some other samples.#INSTALLDIR=E:\Software#DRIVERDIR=X:\MyDriverCollectionREBOOT=FALSE#Things which will always get installed. Anything after * is a switch i.e. /S /Q /Silent[Automatic]#KBXXXXXX-x64=%DVD%:\WinToolkit_Apps\Windows6.1-KBXXXXXX-x64\Windows6.1-KBXXXXXX-x64.msu#User will be asked to choose which of the following apps to install.[Manual]#Microsoft Office 2013=%DVD%:\WinToolkit_Apps\Office2013\Setup.exe*/configure %DVD%:\WinToolkit_Apps\Office2013\\config.xml#Example 1=%DVD%:\WinToolkit_Apps\ExampleProgram\Example.exe*/s 

I'm goinf to add %APP% which will go in the app directory.

Office 2013=%DVD%:\WinToolkit_Apps\Office2013\Setup.exe*/configure %APP%\Config.xml

In this case, %APP% would be X:\WInToolkit_Apps\Office2013\

Hmm...didnt work...

Looks like WinToolkit Installer didnt run at all when using test10 :g:

Oh, I probably have had to remove it and re-add it again...as lots has been changed lately in Installer code.

Edited by Etz

I'm goinf to add %APP% which will go in the app directory.

Office 2013=%DVD%:\WinToolkit_Apps\Office2013\Setup.exe*/configure %APP%\Config.xml

In this case, %APP% would be X:\WInToolkit_Apps\Office2013\

Actually that would be best way, as app name is keyed in and spaces are replaced by underscores, you would have to always be extra careful when typing in "path" to the install switch.

And you cant copy-paste that name as that directory doesnt actually exist before the Image is processed, so its rather easy to mistype it and install fails.

PS: It isnt actually a BUG report so maybe you should move this to requests subforum... :)

Edited by Etz

Make sure you put %DVD%:\ and not just %DVD%\ (colon missing, but test 11 will support both). Already just added the %APP% value and it works :P

Will test as soon as you release Test 11... :)

Using %APP% as Enviroment variable...it worked like a charm... :dancing:

I still have a small question, as INSTALLDIR=Sources\Apps why App Installers itself are still copied to Wintoolkit_Apps folder in root by AIO Tool?

As it wont get never executed as INSTALLDIR doesnt match, maybe it would be better if installers would be also placed into "default location" ?

Currently you have to modify that file or move Apps folder, every time after Image was processed by AIO Tool, so I think it would be better to create "default behaviour" and place Installers also accordingly?

Because the RunOnce scans WinToolkit_Apps by default if it exists for backwards compatibility so it doesn't need to be specified in the install.ini. That one is there as an example.

Basically within the RunOnce there is a list of locations of WinToolkit_Apps, Sources\WinToolkit_Apps and anything in the installdir variables (install.ini). When it comes to adding the install entries to scans all the locations for the files add then adds it. If you really wanted you can have files all of the place and move them about freely as long as the installdir is set correctly.

OK...thx for the detailed explanation... :)

PS: For some strange reason, I cannot access this forum anymore from my home IP.

I have to use a proxy  :(

WinCert.net doesnt even ping...last time this lasted over two months, thats why I havent managed to report anything meanwhile, sorry.

Edited by Etz

@Liam, I'm not sure I understand why this is true, (if it is):

I still have a small question, as INSTALLDIR=Sources\Apps why App Installers itself are still copied to Wintoolkit_Apps folder in root by AIO Tool?

Can't they be installed directly from the INSTALLDIR location without being copied, or have I misunderstood how it works?

Cheers and Regards

OK...thx for the detailed explanation... :)

PS: For some strange reason, I cannot access this forum anymore from my home IP.

I have to use a proxy  :(

WinCert.net doesnt even ping...last time this lasted over two months, thats why I havent managed to report anything meanwhile, sorry.

DNS issue maybe?

@Liam, I'm not sure I understand why this is true, (if it is):

Can't they be installed directly from the INSTALLDIR location without being copied, or have I misunderstood how it works?

Cheers and Regards

Yeah you can add silent installers without adding them to the AIO integrator or install media. As long as you've mounted the image at least once and saved.

You also have to specify what apps you want installing in the [Automatic] and/or [Manual] areas of the install.ini. You can have your apps anywhere as long as you specify the correct location in the ini. I've added a few samples in the default install ini with comments, etc..

DNS issue maybe?

Nope, name resolves, but traceroute breaks one hop before reaching WinCert, looks more like a Firewall of somesort.

Yeah you can add silent installers without adding them to the AIO integrator or install media. As long as you've mounted the image at least once and saved.

You also have to specify what apps you want installing in the [Automatic] and/or [Manual] areas of the install.ini. You can have your apps anywhere as long as you specify the correct location in the ini. I've added a few samples in the default install ini with comments, etc..

And %APP% Variable would still work?

Edited by Etz

1. Try using google dns 8.8.8.8 via ncpa.cpl

2. Yep it should work, don't see why not. You can have your installs/drivers anything as long as you specified the correct places in the ini.

In case you didn't notice instead of install Programs and Drivers at the same time. It now installs Programs, UPDATES and drivers at the same time.