win7 customizing ISO

cstrine13

Kind of new to using this tool and maybe i am doing something wrong... but when i try to remove programs like games, themes, and stuff like that using wintoolkit, it doesnt appear to actually remove it from the ISO but instead just hide it.  Even though i hit the save button and it says i cant retrieve it, i still can if i reload the WIM... also when i use the ISO to load the files are still there.

I am able to integrate windows updates and other programs just fine but i cant seem to remove anything...

i am use to winxp and nLite so when when remove something it is actually gone from the ISO is this not the case with win7 and wintoolkit or am i doing something wrong.

I have to ask why you want a "Lite" version of Win7? NT6 versions of Windows do not work the same as NT5 versions, ie Win2K and XP. "Lite'ing" them using official methods such as by using DISM, which Win Toolkit uses, do not make the install source much smaller, but rather just prevent features from being installed, making the installed OS somewhat smaller, but not as much as you might think. Even then, if you ever need a feature in the future, due to some other app you later install for instance, adding the required feature back in can sometimes be a pain. With the systems of today having so much more RAM, CPU speed, and HDD space compared to older systems, even if you did save a couple of GB in installed space today you wouldn't really notice the difference in day-to-day use. Not compared to the old XP and Win2K systems where every MB made a measurable and noticeable difference. Today it is easier, quicker, and more reliable to simply disable the features and services you don't need right now. They can then simply be re-enabled if/when you need them later.

Cheers and Regards

i need it lite because it needs to be installed on a 16gb CF card and i would like room to do updates and add programs... i will never need games on this machine, dont need themes or screen savers, dont need language packs, wont ever need the majority of the drivers they have. 

So i take it that win7 can not be lited...or is it that wintoolkit can not do it but another program can?

@cstrine13:

I tried installing Win7x64 onto a 20GB disk in a virtual machine. During the first stages of the install it said there was not sufficient space. I'm not sure how 'smart' this calculation is and whether it would 'know' that that you've reduced the install size, even if you managed to do that. The install ended up being less than 20GB, so it needed some additional margin as well.

If you're using Ultimate, you could use one of the other versions that doesn't install Language packs :g:

Also, if you're on the edge, you could install to a larger, regular HDD then image the result to the CF.

Hope this helps,

Clark.

Kind of new to using this tool and maybe i am doing something wrong... but when i try to remove programs like games, themes, and stuff like that using wintoolkit, it doesnt appear to actually remove it from the ISO but instead just hide it.  Even though i hit the save button and it says i cant retrieve it, i still can if i reload the WIM... also when i use the ISO to load the files are still there.

I am able to integrate windows updates and other programs just fine but i cant seem to remove anything...

i am use to winxp and nLite so when when remove something it is actually gone from the ISO is this not the case with win7 and wintoolkit or am i doing something wrong.

Download gimagex run go to Export tab browse to your install.wim you used with win toolkit select the image you can check if you press select button,

Destination  desktop call it install.wim make sure the Compression is Maximum leave name blank go to bottom and then hit Export this will export your wim and get rid of all the files left over by win toolkit replace this wim with your old one if you use 7.zip open it you will see all left over files are gone

Edited by darky