[Solved] Need help with "Windows could not configure one or more system components"

uheyh

I'm a total newbie with the Win Toolkit and the All-In-One Integrator, and I only found this site after much searching for something akin to nLite for Windows 7.

I'll jump right in to my problem description, but if you'd like to read some background info, I've included it at the end of my OP...

Here's my problem: I want to install 32-bit Windows 7 Pro SP1-U onto an empty and unallocated but pre-existing NTFS partition (The target machine does not support UEFI). The AIO Integrator worked fine the second time I ran it (after the first time I noticed some error log files in the Logs directory complaining about an index overflow trying to integrate a set of Adaptec UltraSCSI 320 drivers, but that's a separate issue and for the second run I simply excluded it from the next run).  When finished, I created an ISO file and then burned it onto a DVD.

The first phase of the install went fine.  After the first reboot, everthing seemed fine until after a while I got the message: "Windows could not configure one or more system components. To install Windows, restart the computer and the restart the installation."

Since I couldn't find anything here telling users how to troubleshoot such problems, I figured I was pretty much on my own.  So I booted up my trusty [troubleshooting disk], and browsed around the partially installed Windows 7 system looking for some failure logs (I had no idea what logs to search for or where to look, however).  After more searching trial and error, I found some logs below the directory named "C:\Windows\Panther".  I've attached and uploaded those logs, along with my AIO Integrator settings file, into the file LogFiles.zip.

Included is an error log related to WIA, a file named setuperr.log, and another named setupact.log, and some others.

I hope those files will be useful to anyone who would be kind enough to help this newbie figure out what to do, or NOT do, to avoid the problem and install Win 7 correctly.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!  :please:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the background info I alluded to above...

I must admit that I found nothing here that would help a true newbie like myself to start the process from scratch.  The biggest puzzle for me was finding the eqivalent of OnePiece's splendid update packs (but for Win 7), but after much trial and error searching, I finally found Windows Updates Downloader and it's page of update links.  But even after finding that site and downloading the update file, I could find nothing that told me what to do with that file!  Out of desperation and trial and error, I tried double-clicking the file and then viola!, I could finally get the updates.

One brief question before I move on to my problem: Are you supposed to start the AIO Integrator with a completely non-updated Windows 7 (as opposed to SP1, etc) ISO image, or is it okay to start with, say, an SP1-U ISO?

LogFiles.zip

Edited by bphlpt
Hiren's is warez. Please do not mention or discuss it again

One brief question before I move on to my problem: Are you supposed to start the AIO Integrator with a completely non-updated Windows 7 (as opposed to SP1, etc) ISO image, or is it okay to start with, say, an SP1-U ISO?

It is perfectly OK, and preferred, to start with the SP1-U image. In fact, the updates that Win Toolkit, and I believe WUD, uses are post SP1 updates.

I'll let someone else address your main question/problem, but be sure that when you run Win Toolkit that you have temporarily completely disabled any anti-virus app that you have installed on your system.

Cheers and Regards

Well, after examining the logs myself, it seems clear that the most likely culprit is that .NET 4.0 was not properly installed (lots of error messages to that effect).  Or at least not correctly installed prior to when it was needed duing the install process.

So the question is why the installation process either didn't install .NET 4.0 correctly, or didn't recognize that it was correctly installed.

Surely .NET 4.0 was already part of the SP1-U ISO and doesn't need to be installed as one of the post-SP1 updates, correct?

I downloaded the standalone .NET 4.0 installer, but I have no idea what to do next.   Any suggestions?

Thanks

Surely .NET 4.0 was already part of the SP1-U ISO and doesn't need to be installed as one of the post-SP1 updates, correct?

Actually, no.  .NET 3.5 is included in Win7, but not 4.0 or 4.5.  (You can add either one you want, if either, but not both, since 4.5 completely replaces 4.0.)

The easiest way to add whichever one you want is to use an installer or addon that is already updated with all the available updates, such as this one, or this one, or this one.  They are made to install on an already installed OS, or at least after first log on.  As a newbie, you might be more comfortable with this one, which is made specifically to be used with Win Toolkit, but Win Toolkit can be made to use any of the others as well, if you prefer.  I know Rick's are all up to date, but I'm not positive about the other one.  Good luck!

Cheers and Regards

Woo-hoo!  That did it, all-wise sir bphlpt!  :albert:

So please accept this newbie's considerable gratitude!  On my own, I doubt I'd have figured it out.

Great place you have here!

Take care...

Actually, no.  .NET 3.5 is included in Win7, but not 4.0 or 4.5.  (You can add either one you want, if either, but not both, since 4.5 completely replaces 4.0.)

The easiest way to add whichever one you want is to use an installer or addon that is already updated with all the available updates, such as this one, or this one, or this one.  They are made to install on an already installed OS, or at least after first log on.  As a newbie, you might be more comfortable with this one, which is made specifically to be used with Win Toolkit, but Win Toolkit can be made to use any of the others as well, if you prefer.  I know Rick's are all up to date, but I'm not positive about the other one.  Good luck!

Cheers and Regards

i'm currently running into the same problem, and have steadily removed update after update until I only have general/hotfix/security updates left for windows 7 64.  I still get this message when trying a fresh install.

I even pulled out things like IE11 with no avail. 

i'm currently running into the same problem, and have steadily removed update after update until I only have general/hotfix/security updates left for windows 7 64.  I still get this message when trying a fresh install.

I even pulled out things like IE11 with no avail. 

[sOLVED]  I redownloaded everything using windows hotfix downloader and excluded the mentioned additional and extra updates and it worked fine.  Must be a problem with the alphawave downloader in win toolkit (which is what I used the first time)

• 6 years later...