[inno setup] A way to pin a shortcut onto taskbar in code

Yaliang

Use COM methods and properties via the COM Automation objects support.

So I translate a Delphi script to Inno Setup

section.

And it work! 

Here is a part of script in [code] section:

[code]

http://www.jrsoftware.org)

There are someway to pin taskbar depend on one's choice.

We can add a [task] section in InnoSetup.

if one do not want to see the "task selected page"(like me ),

the second way is to create a new CheckBox in Inno [code] section.

And in the second way one need to control the CheckBox show or hide inprocedure CurPageChanged().

then call the function like:   zylPinAppToTaskbar('c:\window', 'notepad.exe'); 

An example project for Unicode Inno Setup is provided as download.

The attachment "pintaskbar.zip" is the script.

Unzip the file pintaskbar.zip,you can get two files named "PinShortcutOntoTaskbar-task.iss"

and "PinShortcutOntoTaskbar-checkbox.iss".

Please copy the *.iss files to the directory:  ./Inno Setup 5/Examples

Then build the program and run PinTaskbar.exe.

References

http://blog.csdn.net/ccrun/article/details/6906471

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/ScriptCenter/b66434f1-4b3f-4a94-8dc3-e406eb30b750/

http://www.codeproject.com/Tips/713824/Pin-a-shortcut-onto-the-Taskbar-or-Start-Menu 

The following is the script of the second way, I think you can modify it to the first way.

If the attachment was broken, copy the following script to a *.iss file.

; -- PinShortcutOntoTaskbar.iss --
; Pin a shortcut onto taskbar on Win7 & Win8.
; @author: Yaliang.Zhao <shuangxiang2008@google.com>
; @brief: I test is on 32-bit  Win7 & Win8, but
;         I thins it will work on X64 version.

[setup]
AppName=PinTaskbar
AppVersion=1.0
OutputBaseFilename=PinTaskbar
DefaultDirName={pf}\PinTaskbar
OutputDir=./
DisableStartupPrompt=yes
DisableReadyPage=yes

[Files]
Source: "MyProg.exe"; DestDir: "{app}"

;[Tasks]
;Name: pintaskbar; Description: "Pin shortcut onto taskbar"

;Following is how to use
[Code]
var
PinTaskBarCheck : TNewCheckBox;
//the function is work well on Unicode Inno Setup,
//if Non Unicode Inno Setup, one need to modify,
//and I think you can do it!
//Inno use Win32 API
function LoadLibrary(lpFilename : String) : LongInt;
external 'LoadLibraryW@kernel32.dll stdcall delayload';  //if Non Unicode Inno Setup, use LoadLibraryA
function FreeLibrary(hModule : LongInt) : BOOL;
external 'FreeLibrary@kernel32.dll stdcall delayload';
function LoadString(hInstance:LongInt; uId:UINT; lpBuffer:String; nBufferMax:Integer) : Integer;
external 'LoadStringW@user32.dll stdcall delayload';  //if Non Unicode Inno Setup, use LoadStringA

//here is the function
//@param strPath The App's directory,
//@param strApp The App's name
//@example zylPinAppToTaskbar('c:\window', 'notepad.exe');
procedure zylPinAppToTaskbar(strPath, strApp: string); 
var 
  vShell, vFolder, vFolderItem, vItemVerbs: Variant; 
  vPath, vApp: Variant; 
  i: Integer; 
  sItem: String;  
  h: LongInt;
  szPinName: String;
  filenameEnd : Integer;
  filename    : String;
  strEnd    : String;
begin
  SetLength(szPinName, 255);
  h := LoadLibrary(ExpandConstant('{sys}\Shell32.dll')); 
  LoadString(h, 5386, szPinName, 255); 
  FreeLibrary(h); 
  strEnd := #0;
  filenameEnd := Pos(strEnd, szPinName);
  filename := Copy(szPinName, 1, filenameEnd - 1);
  if (Length(filename) > 0) then  //WinXp or lower, no pin taskbar function
  begin
    vShell := CreateOleObject('Shell.Application'); 
    vPath := strPath; 
    vFolder := vShell.NameSpace(vPath); 
    vApp := strApp; 
    vFolderItem := vFolder.ParseName(vApp); 
    vItemVerbs := vFolderItem.Verbs; 

for i := 1 to vItemVerbs.Count do 
  begin 
    sItem := vItemVerbs.Item(i).Name;

if (sItem = filename) then
    begin
      // 63 63 72 75 6E 2E 63 6F 6D 
      vItemVerbs.Item(i).DoIt;
      break;
     end;
    end; 
  end;
end; 

//You can use zylPinAppToTaskbar like this
procedure CurPageChanged(CurPageID: Integer);
begin
  //When Finished page is shown, call the function
  //You can also call is when the "Finish" button clicked.
  if CurPageID <> wpWelcome then
    PinTaskBarCheck.hide
  else begin
    PinTaskBarCheck.show;
  end;
  if  CurPageID = wpFinished then 
  begin
  //if IsTaskSelected('pintaskbar') then  //if Selected the [task]
  //   zylPinAppToTaskbar(ExpandConstant('{app}'), 'MyProg.exe');
  if PinTaskBarCheck.Checked then
    zylPinAppToTaskbar(ExpandConstant('{app}'), 'MyProg.exe');
  end;
end;

procedure InitializeWizard;
begin
  PinTaskBarCheck := TNewCheckBox.Create(WizardForm);
   with PinTaskBarCheck do begin
    Parent  := WizardForm;
    Caption := 'Pin it onto taskbar';
    Top     := 200;
    Left    := 200;
    Width   := ScaleY(200);
    Height  := ScaleY(15);
    State   := cbChecked;
    //Hide;
  end;
end;

pintaskbar.zip

Edited by shuangxiang2008@googlemail

Already has, I added it to my AIDA64 installer and its working perfectly (even removes it on uninstall)

remove the shortcuts form taskbar, I think it need to delete the shorcuts form the special directory.

C:\Users\Current User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar.

(The directory is hide.)

Already has, I added it to my AIDA64 installer and its working perfectly (even removes it on uninstall)

remove the shortcuts form taskbar, I think it need to delete the shorcuts form the special directory.

C:\Users\Current User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar.

(The directory is hide.)

Thanks again...!!!

Regards... ;-)

How you delete the shortcut at uninstall...? deleting the shortcut in C:\Users\Current User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar...?

Regards... ;-)

Edited by alfreire

(The directory is hide.)

Thanks again...!!!

Regards... ;-)

How you delete shortcut at uninstall...? deleting the link...?

Regards... ;-)

Maybe U can see the [uninstallDelete] section in InnoSetup documentation.

I am trying to find a way in

section.but not finished.
In theory, pin or unpin is the same way.

I don't have to do anything extra, for some reason mine is deleted automatically on uninstall (which is a nice thing)

Yes it's true, shortcut is delete during uninstall... only not delete when use Uninstallable=no in [setup]...

Regards... ;-)

I don't have to do anything extra, for some reason mine is deleted automatically on uninstall (which is a nice thing)

Yes it's true, shortcut is delete during uninstall... only not delete when use Uninstallable=no in [setup]...

Regards... ;-)

It is helpful...

Regards... ;-)

I'm no Inno expert. In fact, this is my first time using it. So I'm lost here.

If I have an existing program installed on my PC and I want to create an installer that automatically pins it to the taskbar. I'm trying to figure out which code to modify in shuangxiang2008 included "PinShortcutOntoTaskbar-task.iss" script.

Must I do something more than modify the paths to: (ExpandConstant('{app}') and the entry under [Files] Source: 

Thanks

If I have an existing program installed on my PC and I want to create an installer that automatically pins it to the taskbar. I'm trying to figure out which code to modify in shuangxiang2008 included "PinShortcutOntoTaskbar-task.iss" script.

Must I do something more than modify the paths to: (ExpandConstant('{app}') and the entry under [Files] Source: 

Thanks

Hi... to help you better, what is the program, which you want make installer...?

Regards... ;-)

Thanks

I think your program is repacked by Inno.

If you want to automatically pins it onto the taskbar, maybe you just need to modify the function CurPageChanged() ,

you can remove IsTaskSelected()function,and remove the [task] section.

like following:

procedure CurPageChanged(CurPageID: Integer);

begin

//When Finished page is shown, call the function

//You can also call is when the "Finish" button clicked.

if  CurPageID = wpFinished then  

begin

//if IsTaskSelected('pintaskbar') then  //if Selected the [task]

zylPinAppToTaskbar(ExpandConstant('{app}'), 'MyProg.exe');

end;

end;

Hope can help you.

Regards... ;-)

As an example, say I want to put a shortcut in the taskbar for magnify.exe, which is included with windows in the system32 folder. Since the program magnify.exe already exists, can I make an inno installer to install the taskbar shortcut pointing to magnify.exe since I now have to do this manually after a clean install?

Edited by BYTE-ME

If I'm not mistaken:

[Code]varPinTaskBarCheck : TNewCheckBox;//the function is work well on Unicode Inno Setup, //if Non Unicode Inno Setup, one need to modify,//and I think you can do it!//Inno use Win32 APIfunction LoadLibrary(lpFilename : String) : LongInt;external 'LoadLibraryW@kernel32.dll stdcall delayload';  //if Non Unicode Inno Setup, use LoadLibraryAfunction FreeLibrary(hModule : LongInt) : BOOL;external 'FreeLibrary@kernel32.dll stdcall delayload';function LoadString(hInstance:LongInt; uId:UINT; lpBuffer:String; nBufferMax:Integer) : Integer;external 'LoadStringW@user32.dll stdcall delayload';  //if Non Unicode Inno Setup, use LoadStringA//here is the function//@param strPath The App's directory,//@param strApp The App's name//@example zylPinAppToTaskbar('c:\window', 'notepad.exe');procedure zylPinAppToTaskbar(strPath, strApp: string);  var    vShell, vFolder, vFolderItem, vItemVerbs: Variant;    vPath, vApp: Variant;    i: Integer;    sItem: String;     h: LongInt;   szPinName: String;   filenameEnd : Integer;  filename    : String;   strEnd    : String;begin   SetLength(szPinName, 255);   h := LoadLibrary(ExpandConstant('{sys}\Shell32.dll'));    LoadString(h, 5386, szPinName, 255);    FreeLibrary(h);    strEnd := #0;  filenameEnd := Pos(strEnd, szPinName);  filename := Copy(szPinName, 1, filenameEnd - 1);  if (Length(filename) > 0) then  //WinXp or lower, no pin taskbar function  begin    vShell := CreateOleObject('Shell.Application');      vPath := strPath;      vFolder := vShell.NameSpace(vPath);      vApp := strApp;      vFolderItem := vFolder.ParseName(vApp);      vItemVerbs := vFolderItem.Verbs;         for i := 1 to vItemVerbs.Count do    begin      sItem := vItemVerbs.Item(i).Name;    if (sItem = filename) then    begin      // 63 63 72 75 6E 2E 63 6F 6D        vItemVerbs.Item(i).DoIt;       break;      end;     end;    end;end;  //You can use zylPinAppToTaskbar like thisprocedure CurPageChanged(CurPageID: Integer);begin  //When Finished page is shown, call the function  //You can also call is when the "Finish" button clicked.  if  CurPageID = wpFinished then    begin  if IsTaskSelected('pintaskbar') then  zylPinAppToTaskbar(ExpandConstant('{sys}'), 'magnify.exe');  end;end;

zylPinAppToTaskbar(ExpandConstant('{sys}'), 'magnify.exe');

Regards... ;-)

Edited by alfreire

As an example, say I want to put a shortcut in the taskbar for magnify.exe, which is included with windows in the system32 folder. Since the program magnify.exe already exists, can I make an inno installer to install the taskbar shortcut pointing to magnify.exe since I now have to do this manually after a clean install?

use the function zylPinAppToTaskbar(), you just need two parameter,

first, the dirctory of the *.exe;

second, the real name of *.exe.

maybe you must sure that *.exe is exist.

then call the function where you need.

• 4 months later...
Slightly improved code...

Change this:

function LoadLibrary(lpFilename : String) : LongInt;external 'LoadLibraryW@kernel32.dll stdcall delayload';  //if Non Unicode Inno Setup, use LoadLibraryAfunction FreeLibrary(hModule : LongInt) : BOOL;external 'FreeLibrary@kernel32.dll stdcall delayload';function LoadString(hInstance:LongInt; uId:UINT; lpBuffer:String; nBufferMax:Integer) : Integer;external 'LoadStringW@user32.dll stdcall delayload';  //if Non Unicode Inno Setup, use LoadStringA

to this:

#ifdef UNICODE    #define A "W"#else    #define A "A"#endiffunction LoadLibrary(lpFilename : String) : LongInt;external 'LoadLibrary{#A}@kernel32.dll stdcall delayload'; function FreeLibrary(hModule : LongInt) : BOOL;external 'FreeLibrary@kernel32.dll stdcall delayload';function LoadString(hInstance:LongInt; uId:UINT; lpBuffer:String; nBufferMax:Integer) : Integer;external 'LoadString{#A}@user32.dll stdcall delayload'; 

to automatic Unicode/No Unicode library selection... not my code, I found searching in internet... (I don't know programming... X-D)

Regards... ;-)

Edited by alfreire

• 5 weeks later...

It is a very good change.

Regards... ;-)

Slightly improved code...

Change this:

function LoadLibrary(lpFilename : String) : LongInt;external 'LoadLibraryW@kernel32.dll stdcall delayload';  //if Non Unicode Inno Setup, use LoadLibraryAfunction FreeLibrary(hModule : LongInt) : BOOL;external 'FreeLibrary@kernel32.dll stdcall delayload';function LoadString(hInstance:LongInt; uId:UINT; lpBuffer:String; nBufferMax:Integer) : Integer;external 'LoadStringW@user32.dll stdcall delayload';  //if Non Unicode Inno Setup, use LoadStringA

to this:

#ifdef UNICODE    #define A "W"#else    #define A "A"#endiffunction LoadLibrary(lpFilename : String) : LongInt;external 'LoadLibrary{#A}@kernel32.dll stdcall delayload'; function FreeLibrary(hModule : LongInt) : BOOL;external 'FreeLibrary@kernel32.dll stdcall delayload';function LoadString(hInstance:LongInt; uId:UINT; lpBuffer:String; nBufferMax:Integer) : Integer;external 'LoadString{#A}@user32.dll stdcall delayload'; 

to automatic Unicode/No Unicode library selection... not my code, I found searching in internet... (I don'tt know programming... X-D)

Regards... ;-)

• 7 years later...