[SOLVED] Small bug during installation with version 1.4.41.2

Thiersee

Not sure how i'm supposed to fix, maybe wrong switch?

I don't think so, because the INI is exactly the same as for the other bug (regarding 3rd Party Themes).

On the other side I don't know, if it is possibly caused by parallel "jobs" on the PC at th same time the VM is installing (surfing, Email, copy and so on).

I can install a second time, may be excluding this silent-installer.

How much memory did you allocate to that VM?

Ant what where the compresion settings when creating that installer?

I have had similar issue on physical PC with 1GB of RAM for example, running 7z-sfx installer as post-install. :g:

And it is definately NOT WinToolkit issue...my best bet would be, that your VM ran out of memory for some reason.

Edited by Etz

How much memory did you allocate to that VM?

1 GB.

Ant what where the compresion settings when creating that installer?

Normal (SFX-Maker).

And it is definately WinToolkit issue...my best bet would be, that your VM ran out of memory for some reason.

I don't know.

Anyway I did not change the VM compared with previous tests and this issue was definitely NOT present.

1 GB + Normal (SFX-Maker).

Shouldnt cause a problem then, Ultra may definately could it on such circumstances.

But I would really recommend to test on 2GB (ofc if you can) configuration and see if the issue resolves itself.

You will have to open up task manager and have screenshots of how much memory is being used, etc.. :)

He would have to run it on Guest OS via command-line then. (shift + F10 during setup will open CMD)

As running it on Host machine doesnt tell you anything about it, what is actually going on inside of that allocated 1GB.

You would just see that VM is using that full 1GB and thats it, even if it actually does not.

And I really doubt the issue was caused by running out of Host machine RAM or the whole thing would come to an crawl and finally just crash.

WinToolkit is not probably the fault here...unless RunOnce Installer has serious memory leak... :D

Anyway i havent encountered it on my VM Installs, but I always allocate 2GB or even more to VM`s.

Edited by Etz

I'm back!

I gave now 4GB to the VM and had no issue (I've 16 GB in my PC).

I'll try tomorrow again with only 1 GB for the VM: with all the previous versions I never had this issue; further I have another silent-installer

10 times bigger as the one where the issue appeared.

I'll report tomorrow in the afternoon.

Have a good night.

Thiersee

The 7z-SFX compression strength is not relevant - it's the self-test verification and a present encryption.

Most authors use "protect SFX (with password)" to prevent manual unpacking .. Now, it would use the password

as an encryption key .. Makes sense, right ?

Upon execution it would first decrypt large chunks in your RAM and verify the contents ...

The 7z-SFX compression strength is not relevant - it's the self-test verification and a present encryption.

Most authors use "protect SFX (with password)" to prevent manual unpacking .. Now, it would use the password

as an encryption key .. Makes sense, right ?

Upon execution it would first decrypt large chunks in your RAM and verify the contents ...

Well compression strenght is relevant, according to 7-zip author but, it shouldnt be relevant enough to cause such behaviour on 1GB machine. Encryption is another story.

But I really doubt that Thiersee encrypted hes own installer, which is made only for hes own usage... ;)

Edited by Etz

Here am I back!

During 3 more tests with only 1GB assigned to the VM did not have any issue.

So I believe the issue was just "random" (no explanation why) or the VM run just on the "border" of the RAM-capability.

Anyway from today onwards I'll will assigne 4GB to the VM.

For me is the bug solved.

@KEiGHT

You are right, for a normal good run W7 should have at least 2GB RAM, but then I can't imagine, why it has been working until now with only 1GB.

Thiersee

If you happen to test again with 1GB. Can you please include a screenshot of task manager? (Details and Performance tab). :)

Glad it's solved :D

VM or PC?

I don`t know, if I can call the Taskmanager in the VM during install.

Edited by Thiersee

Anyway from today onwards I'll will assigne 4GB to the VM.

2GB would be sufficent already to avoid any hiccups during install and usage.

I usually do test runs with 2GB and never had an issue with x64 OS`es.

VM or PC?

I don`t know, if I can call the Taskmanager in the VM during install.

Yes you can, check my post.

He would have to run it on Guest OS via command-line then. (shift + F10 during setup will open CMD)

Just type taskmgr.exe to that cmd window, hit enter and voila ;)

Edited by Etz

Yep, (as I actually suspected from the beginning) your VM basically almost ran out of memory...situation where anomalies begin to emerge...

1GB is just clearly not enough for x64 Windows 7...

And as you just proved,it may work but cannot be guaranteed to work with that amount of memory.

I just failed to notice that you are running x64 OS in VM with 1GB of RAM at first.

Edited by Etz

Thanks for the screenshot. I'm still curious to how much RAM WinToolkitRunOnce was using via the 'Details' tab :P

I could check this out...gimme 15 minutes... :gleam:

Just 12MB, not bad. I could probably reduce it but don't think there is a need.

I dont think it is a relevant amount...but if you want to improve it (as a coursework), I dont mind... :)

Edited by Etz

@Thiersee

You may already know this, but the error you got is just a warning. It apparently can be suppressed. See this MSFN post.

(Assuming you want to rebuild the 7Z SFX installer yourself or it's one you built).

Clark.