WIN TOOLKIT and SFC BUG?

pennsylvaniaron

It seems that there is a serious bug in win toolkit. I am not a programmer, more of a hardware guy. Hence the reason looking for a tool like Win Toolkit or rt seven etc. Rt seven was giving my finished slipstreamed updated win 7 disk a sfc error (sfc /scannow) at an elevated command prompt. This is the main reason that I changed to Win Toolkit. However it seems that this also happens in Win toolkit's latest version. I do not know the reason why system files become corrupted (sometimes they are repaired after numerous runs of sfc) but most times they are not. In addition we use this tool to save time on our installations, so we are not looking to run SFC after every install.

I just ran a VM with a fresh copy of digital rivers win7_64 HP SP1 refresh which I had Winupdate install every update up until today. SFC returns with no integrity violations. So there is something that Win Toolkit and other ALTERING Win 7 do that causes the corruption. Liam I really believe this should be investigated and somehow repaired. From a non programmer as myself it seems a like daunting task, but maybe its something simple? I cannot install a fresh copy of Win 7 on someone's machine and have corrupted system files. While it seems invisible to the user because Windows seems to work correctly it HAS TO MEAN SOMETHING.

I do not know if the CBS.log shows the same error all the time or if its just one sticky file or many files. Should be investigated...

Would like other members to join in on this discussion especially if SFC /scannow returns a 100% corruption free install.

Regards...

UPDATE: after following an internet procedure using notepad and the CBS.log file it seems that the file MSDTC.LOG is the file in question. I would say it missing. I'll try it on another VM install that I modified and updated.

Edited by pennsylvaniaron

Would like other members to join in on this discussion especially if SFC /scannow returns a 100% corruption free install.

Regards...

This is my case, both on VM and on real hardware.

Are you sure your host machine is clean ?

I am running a VM with the DR hp orig_64 HP iso wintooled right now. I wanted to do absolutely nothing to the image but wintool says I have to make at least 1 change. so I made a certain theme the default. when finished wintool integrated 11 updates. I guess that's standard. I checked my system a week ago with sfc /scannow and it was 100%. I will check it after this vm finishes and report back on both sfc's. also my system is virus free. liam worked on it and knows its also fast. I am a system builder but of course this test needs some types of controls so I understand your concern.

later

regards...

wait I just remembered. I tested the DR hp ORIG on the vm and sfc tested at 100%. so my system has to be good. plus its a VM?

ok here's where I'm at. I ran the orig. dig. riv. win7_64 sp1 iso thru wintool and only made a themepack as the default its only modification. sfc /scannow returns 100%. However, Liam, the iso with all updates till may 2014 with framework 4.5 has corrupted system files. it fails sfc. Try it yourself. if you agree then something in the integration of updates or net framework I assumed caused it. mooms reported that his vm is clean but did not say what he used as his source. regards..

everyone all seems well now with "MY" sfc issue. the only thing that bothers me>>>it went away as mysteriously as it appeared. I have made a # of successful test iso now. I think it might have been the extraneous programs that I was installing with incorrect silent switches while testing.

regards...

• 2 months later...

hello:

I have come back to this posting that I started in September. It seems that Lego's sept (EXCLUSIVE) iso's fail SFC /scannow. I thought this bug was taken care of but it has reappeared. I decided to run sfc ./scannow on a realtime clients brand new win 7 pro install and got the message that sfc has found corrupted files but was unable to repair them. I then decided to test lego's sept iso_64. I did a clean install with no silent switches, updates or any other modification and it fails sfc on my VM. I am using these sept iso's as the basis for making updated win 7 iso every week. so it doesn't seem to be the version of WTK causing this or it was the version lego used to make the sept iso's. or another reason??

please advise..

regards...