WTK fails sfc /scannow

pennsylvaniaron

It seems that Lego's sept (EXCLUSIVE) iso's fail SFC /scannow. I thought this bug was taken care of but it has reappeared. I decided to run sfc ./scannow on a realtimeclients brand new win 7 pro install and got the message that sfc has found corrupted files but was unable to repair them. I then decided to test lego's sept iso_64. I did a clean install with no silent switches, updates or any other modification and it fails sfc on my VM. I am using these sept iso's as the basis for making updated win 7 iso every week. so it doesn't seem to be the version of WTK causing this or it was the version lego used to make the sept iso's. or another reason??

please advise..

I have researched and possibly found out the problem in the cbs.log. The MSDTC.LOG might be missing. There were 4 errors in the log all pointing to this file.

regards...

the c:windows\winsxs\backup directory is empty.

the MSDTC.LOG file is the culprit (at least when using lego's sept iso's). There are 4 errors saying it cannot be repaired. Meanwhile I can't find the file at all. I even showed protected system files. there is a msdtc.exe file but no log file. the only way to correct this in win 7 (there is a possible dism fix in win 8) is to do an in place re-install of windows and all the 180 or so updates. kinda ridiculous.

I would attach the cbs.log file if I knew how!

regards...

I searched my win 7 installation on my host computer for the msdtc.log file and I cannot find it. my computer passes sfc. so I'm not really sure this is the actual corruption. when I do an in place upgrade over lego's install sfc passes 100% so something is getting repaired. The bottom line is win 7 should pass sfc 100%.

This really should be addressed as a major bug.

regards...

I am at a loss now with the sfc bug. lego must be busy at school, because I haven't heard from him other than he fixed the iso's but hasn't posted them. I tried creating my own but there is another bug which was discussed with lego in September when taking a fresh win 7 sp1 iso and using WUD to download all the win 7_64 updates and then have WTK integrate them. there are errors about a language problem which still hasn't been addressed. So between not being able to use lego's iso and not being able to create my own with WTK because of these errors I am stuck without a reliable integrated win 7 iso. very frustrating.

regards...

I have a happy update. I successfully created a WTK iso that passed SFC. I used the latest WTK 1.5.3.3 version. My addon is net framework 4.5.2. silent installers are adobe reader v.11, flash player v.15, malwarebytes 1025 and ccleaner v.4.19. all these are the latest versions. also have a silent user install of office 2007. when SFC failed I was using updates downloaded with WHDownloader. For whatever reason this downloader will download about 462 updates for win 7_64. I decided to try WUD (win update downloader). Using the download list from this source she downloads about 181 updates for win 7_64 (up to 9/14/14). I have no idea why WHD has so many more downloads which mess up WTK and why WUD seems to work great. 

After installation on a vm SFC passes 100%. initial amt of updates are 41 but approx. 24 of those are either from oct or today. my wud list was from sept 2014. So I figure I will only have about 17 updates. Some of those are randomly old so I will incorporate those into my WUD update list till I get the number of updates to a bare minimum. Thx all for your input and I hope this helps others out there who are struggling.

regards...

UPDATE: I ended up with 13 updates to be installed after the first check for updates.

Edited by pennsylvaniaron

Hi pennsylvaniaron,

Regarding the difference between WHDownloader and WUD. WHDownloader downloads all Windows updates *and* hotfixes not supplied by Windows Update. WUD just does Windows Updates.

Also, if you download everything in the WHDownloader list, you definitely do *NOT* want to integrate all of them. For example, for Windows 7, you can download updates for IE9 and IE10 if you choose to update to those instead of IE11. But if you're updating to IE11, you don't want to integrate the IE9 and IE10 stuff.  Also, you can't integrate the stuff in the Additional\_NotAllowedOffline folder.

Clark.

clark thank you for reply. I definitely never downloaded any ie9 or ie10 stuff. kinda figured that one out. I do not remember downloading any additional stuff. either. bottom line is WHD was starting me out with I think it was approx. 462 updates that seemed to be security, regular updates etc. either way I now am making a 32 bit version of win 7 using WUD with the latest 11/11/14 updates. I assume I will have no problems! Think I have the procedure down pat now.

regards...