What am I doing wrong!?!?!? Win Toolkit Integration

kabbage

Hi.

So, here goes....

I am a computer teacher/I.T guy for the school at which I work.  We live in a very remote part of Canada and have limited internet connectivity in the sense that all our bandwidth is delivered via satellite.  Given our schools bandwidth, or lack thereof, re-deploying a client machine can take hours as I am at the mercy of all the wonderful updates Microsoft has to offer for my machines.  I would consider myself a novice when dealing with most things related to computers/OS's... so steering me along won't be terribly impossible.

I have 4 machines throughout the school which I am trying to create a specific Windows Installation disc (ISO) for....  meaning  I would like updates, programs, drivers, etc to be installed when I run my bootable USB...... so far I have spent almost 2 weeks trying to figure this out without much luck and am starting to feel like I am doomed in this undertaking.

I started with a beta version of nLITE, then onto RT 7 Lite, now onto Win Toolkit - which seems like the way to go from what I have read.

I started by downloading Windows Update Downloader - downloaded all Win 7 32/64 Updates - success.

Run Win Toolkit (v1.5.3.10) - success

Browse for ISO, add Win 7 32-bit (SP1) ISO - success.

Open All-In-One Integrator

Add updates (32-bit) - appears to work

Add addons - appears to work

Add silent installs - appears to work

Add drivers - appears to work

I then close the AIO Integrator and select ISO maker.... select output folder that was created during the AIO Integration process.... an ISO is created successfully.
I then use the Windows 7 USB Download tool to create a bootable USB and copy the ISO over.

I then attempt to install Windows 7.

*I was running into the "Windows could not find a CD/DVD driver" issue but corrected that as I was loading the "boot.wim" file as opposed to the actual ISO.  Fixed that and got further into the actual installation.

**When getting to the "Completing Installation" portion of the Win 7 install I would receive a "Windows could not configure one or more system components" error - fixed this by integrating newer .NET Framework.

So, now my install completes successfully in the sense that Win 7 is on the machine, but as far as I can tell the updates don't get successfully installed - there is only one "installed update" listed and when I run Win. Update it finds over 350MB worth of updates?!?

Additionally, the programs and addons I attempt to include do not appear to install - VLC, Adobe runtimes, Daemon tools, WinRAR, Firefox... etc.

Also, the drivers I have included do not install.

I am thinking I am probably overlooking something very simple and minute.  I'm not sure what else to provide in order to help you help me, so please just let me know if there is anything I should provide in order to help the process out.

Thanks in advance for any and all help the forum is able to provide!

You could try out Simplix pack, its a pack that includes almost all windows updates for 32 and 64 bit i made one 2 days ago, depending on system so far i had a max of 8 updates remaining, some where drivers.

As i do not intergrate drivers.

Current version is UpdatePack7R2-15.1.20.exe so made 15th this month.

Why not integrate drivers?  I guess I'm trying to understand what it is I'm doing wrong with my build.....?  I appreciate the response and will try out your suggestion... but I still would like to get both drivers and programs integrated.... we have over 100 boxes kicking around this place so having a build that is reliable and something I can update is necessary.

P.S - link to download?

Edited by kabbage

May be it takes longer, but I would suggest you to try first single steps, not all in one session.

Try first to build an ISO only with the updates and install Win7 with this ISO.

On the next step you can integrate drivers and, again, try an installation.

And so on, otherwise you are not able to see, what is causing the problem: an update, a driver, a silent installer or an interaction between all those.

I wish you a success in your work.

Thiersee

Good idea.....

I'll start a new one (again.....) but with baby steps.

1 question, I'll build the first image with only Win 7 and the 32-bit updates....  once install is complete, should there be a bunch of updates actually listed in the "installed updates" area of Add/Remove or are these integrated and thus not considered "installed"?

I'm just going to post my step-by-step process to see if anyone notices anything funky as I go here...

1. Insert ISO (Win 7 Pro 32-bit w/SP1)  into Win Toolkit - image is mounted.

2. AIO Integrator - Basic -> Updates -> Add-> Folders/Sub Folders -> Win Update Downloader folder -> 32-bit folder...... 204 updates added (199 + 5 IE Updates)

3. Start -> Integration begins.... this usually takes about 90 mins to complete.... as each update is integrated, a GREEN CHECK mark becomes present once complete.....

I'll continue on once this stage is completed

Thanks again for everyone's help!

1 question, I'll build the first image with only Win 7 and the 32-bit updates....  once install is complete, should there be a bunch of updates actually listed in the "installed updates" area of Add/Remove or are these integrated and thus not considered "installed"?

Yes, the installed updates appear under "Add/Remove", "Installed updates", but NOT in the history!

1. Insert ISO (Win 7 Pro 32-bit w/SP1)  into Win Toolkit - image is mounted.

2. AIO Integrator - Basic -> Updates -> Add-> Folders/Sub Folders -> Win Update Downloader folder -> 32-bit folder...... 204 updates added (199 + 5 IE Updates)

3. Start -> Integration begins.... this usually takes about 90 mins to complete.... as each update is integrated, a GREEN CHECK mark becomes present once complete.....

That's OK!

Thiersee

Edited by Thiersee

Ah the way i do you can of course use wintoolkit to add other stuff as well as drivers i do the same,

I simply myself do not intergrate drivers, i have done so before, but somehow i always manage to get one wrong driver into the package that causes windows to not finish its install :P.

I always intergrate around 5 languages extra.

After that i generate a iso of it, test it in virtualbox when working i keep it saved win7x32+lang.iso something like this.

When that works i will run the latest simplix pack to add all updates, when thats done, make a iso call it win7x32+lang+updates.iso

Test in virtualbox again.

Then i add tools like .net and other .wa files as i install thru pxe i don't install any silent installers but for usb install that should be fine.

Test is the tools runtimes etc are added correctly. if so.

I can add drivers if wanted or keep it like that.

If i ever want to quickly install drivers on a system i often run driver pack solution.

Though i normaly check the motherboard specs and download the drivers from the website i should get them from.

Later on i simply reuse the win7x32+lang.iso to add the new simplix pack, you can simply run simplix on your latest +updates to add just a few more, but the size will grow more overtime then doing it fresh.

Hope this helps.

back at er... .some stuff came up last night - continuing on today.

4. Updates appear to be integrated. ->close AIO Integrator.

5. Win Toolkit - > ISO Maker - >select output folder created by AIO -> create ISO -> ISO is created successfully

6. Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool -> Load ISO -> software creates bootable USB and copies ISO info over.

7. Boot computer to USB drive - Windows 7 installation begins.....

ERROR - "Windows could not configure one or more system components....." bah!

So I guess I am going to have to integrate newer .NET framework?

Hi kabbage,

can you post please the UL you are using with WindowsUpdateDownloader?

That seems to be a little to much, if you are installing a plain windows7 SP1, without "special features" (Active Directory, Domain and so on); which IE do you use?

May be you integrate some updates for features you do no install

I use this UL for WUD (for english user too) with RDP 8.1 (optional) and IE11: I do not get errors after Installing or requests by Windows Update.

So I guess I am going to have to integrate newer .NET framework?

I don't think so.

Thiersee

P.S.: may I ask you, in which part of Canada you are living?

http://www.windowsupdatesdownloader.com/download.ashx?type=ul&id=213

I too thought that was a lot of updates, but that's how many that UL provided me with....? Minus SP1 of course.

Living in Manitoba, Canada.

So, with that new UL you provided there are....

Updates (166)

Updates - Professional, Ultimate, Enterprise (1)

IE 11 Updates (3)

RDP 8.1 (8)

Additional Components (2)

English setup files (IE11 and XP mode) (3)

Then there is a french, spanish, dutch, and italian updates that obviously don't apply to me.

Then there is a french, spanish, dutch, and italian updates that obviously don't apply to me.

Of course!

BTW: Deutsch (Germany) NOT Dutch (The Netherland) ;).

After installing with that UL WU asks for Silverlight, .NET-FW 4.5.2 and some updates for RDP (not integratable).

Thiersee

So... while I am waiting for this dl to finish, I started another build.

I did everything as described earlier... only thing different is I added the newer .NET framework and...... it worked!

201 installed updates now listed!

So, I guess my next question is what do you feel should be my next step in populating the build?  What should I add first to see if it works properly? addons, silent installs, drivers?

So... while I am waiting for this dl to finish, I started another build.

I did everything as described earlier... only thing different is I added the newer .NET framework and...... it worked!

201 installed updates now listed!

So, I guess my next question is what do you feel should be my next step in populating the build?  What should I add first to see if it works properly? addons, silent installs, drivers?

Did you install without errors? Great!

I would say, you should integrate drivers (the same for all your PCs?) and install again.

How did you install the newer .NET-FW?

Thiersee

Did you read the note at the end of that post?

Note: The addon will conflict with some Windows Updates (.NET 3.5 Family), so leave the addon's integration to the last.

I use this one (because of german and italian language pack).

Thanks again for your help in this endeavor

Not at all ;)!

Thiersee

My understanding was an older .net-FW was causing the ""Windows could not configure one or more system component"... thus including a newer version would remedy the issue.... which it appears to?

And ya, I read that message..... Updates installed, should I carry on and disregard that warning or will the newer .net-FW cause issues when I go to integrate other stuff?

should I carry on and disregard that warning or will the newer .net-FW cause issues when I go to integrate other stuff?

If your current build works, use this build as start-image for the next step: in case of errors you can go back to a working ISO.

Now I go to bed.

Thiersee

Edited by Thiersee

4. Updates appear to be integrated. ->close AIO Integrator.

5. Win Toolkit - > ISO Maker - >select output folder created by AIO -> create ISO -> ISO is created successfully

6. Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool -> Load ISO -> software creates bootable USB and copies ISO info over.

7. Boot computer to USB drive - Windows 7 installation begins.....

ERROR - "Windows could not configure one or more system components....." bah!

I did a test for you ;):

downloaded x17-59183 (Win7 Professional en-US SP1) from DigitalRiver, removed ei.cfg as usual

integrated the UL you are using (post #11)

installed in VirtualBox: NO ERRORS but

Windows Update asked for 20 updates (critical, excluding Windows Defender)!

Thiersee

post-26665-0-95843200-1422629893_thumb.j

Edited by Thiersee

OK, back at it again today.

So the the image I created (updates + driver) it appears to work - kind of. 

Updates install properly.  After updates are installed, computer reboots and attempts to install the drivers without much success.

When I am adding the drivers to the build, I need to unpack the driver installer, then add the corresponding folder (win7, win XP, x86/x64) to the drivers section of the AIO Integrator, right?

Also, removing "ei.cfg" is not something I have done in any of my builds?  What does that do exactly?  Something with the prod. key I assume?

I'm running Win. Update to see if the first box Im testing here finds any updates.

I successfully dl'd the new UL, so I will be working with that one in the next couple days.

Win Toolkit Installer - attempts to install 3 different drivers, but nothing happens.  The Installer appears after a couple reboots and only after I have set the date/time, username, password.  The Win Toolkit Installer (RunOnce Installer) appears, hangs at 0.0% and eventually fails (presumably), kicking back into Win 7 desktop after failure.

I think I'm not integrating the drivers correctly, but I'm taking some steps in the right direction, which is encouraging.

Theirsee - your help and encouragement has gone a long way in getting this figured out.  Thank you very much!

Also, removing "ei.cfg" is not something I have done in any of my builds?  What does that do exactly?  Something with the prod. key I assume?

After removing ei.cfg you can select every Win-version (from Starter until Ultimate), so you need to download only two ISOs, respectively for x86 and x64.

To the drivers: WTK can unpack some drivers.

Which driver do you try to install? Can you post your "preset.ini"?

Thiersee

I cant  find that file anywhere

OK ;), it means you have never saved it.

If you are ready to start the integration in WTK, for example for the step "Integrating Updates", before you start go to "Presets/Save All", give a location and a name and click on save.

But, after integration, the actual file is present

1) In the folder, where you have you build

2) In the working folder of WTK, under "Last Sessions"

Thiersee

Edited by Thiersee