Wintoolkit for Windows 8.1

Noob3

Hi

I know there is still development going on with wintoolkit but I just wanted to know:

What does Wintoolkit do for windows 8.1 ??

I guess all im mainly interested in is removing the metro desktop tablets crap of windows 8.1

I have tried but wintool seems to fail at removing things?

Id love to know what it does for windows 8.1 ??

Many Thanks

Edited by bphlpt
Removed formatting

If you are trying to remove ALL of the "Metro" 'crap', then I think you are out of luck.  Win Toolkit does not, and has no plans to that I am aware of, remove all of "Metro".  I'm also not not aware of any other tool that can remove all of "Metro".  "Metro" is too much of an entrenched part of the OS now.  Do you know of any such tool capable of that?  But just because "Metro" is there doesn't mean you have to use any of it.

Cheers and Regards

If you are trying to remove ALL of the "Metro" 'crap', then I think you are out of luck.  Win Toolkit does not, and has no plans to that I am aware of, remove all of "Metro".  I'm also not not aware of any other tool that can remove all of "Metro".  "Metro" is too much of an entrenched part of the OS now.  Do you know of any such tool capable of that?  But just because "Metro" is there doesn't mean you have to use any of it.

Cheers and Regards

Thanks for your sarcastic reply.

I believe that NTlite does remove it but its like 45 bucks.    

So what does Wintoolkit do for the Metro then? 

The reply wasn't meant to be sarcastic. :(

It appears you are correct that NTlite does seem to be able to remove most of "Metro", at least more than what I thought it did. Not quite all, but effectively it does since there are no more "Metro" apps left to run:

replacing explorer, or should I say me distributing any MS file, won't happen. You could find it somewhere else and integrate it, but it promotes an illegal distribution of that Explorer file. Not to mention compatibility issues, and missed patches along the way.
Removal of windows.immersiveshell and all Metro needed services is what that component is doing. Basically after it removed, there is no Metro app that would work on that machine. Shell remains the same, up to you to replace it.

Since I choose not to remove any system components, (I just disable what I don't need), and I'm very happy with Win 7 and have chosen not to downgrade to any version of Win 8.x (that was sarcastic :) ), I'll let someone else that is more familiar with Win Toolkit's component removal capabilities respond to you if they wish to.

Cheers and Regards

The reply wasn't meant to be sarcastic. :(

It appears you are correct that NTlite does seem to be able to remove most of "Metro", at least more than what I thought it did. Not quite all, but effectively it does since there are no more "Metro" apps left to run:

replacing explorer, or should I say me distributing any MS file, won't happen. You could find it somewhere else and integrate it, but it promotes an illegal distribution of that Explorer file. Not to mention compatibility issues, and missed patches along the way.

Removal of windows.immersiveshell and all Metro needed services is what that component is doing. Basically after it removed, there is no Metro app that would work on that machine. Shell remains the same, up to you to replace it.

Since I choose not to remove any system components, (I just disable what I don't need), and I'm very happy with Win 7 and have chosen not to downgrade to any version of Win 8.x (that was sarcastic :) ), I'll let someone else that is more familiar with Win Toolkit's component removal capabilities respond to you if they wish to.

Cheers and Regards

I like your reply ;)

Ok thanks for your input ;)

I wanted to stay on windows 7 but I cant do windows phone apps development on windows 7 :( it has to be on a windows 8 and it sucks so I just wanted to take as much as I could from the desktop metro crap but im still learning windows 8 and I bet you can config it most of it lol

I was just hoping that wintoolkit did all that

Thanks for the reply I will keep a look out to whats going on and see what happens

For a productive Win 8.x, I might suggest checking out some of the posts by NoelC over at MSFN such as this one.  He does most, if not all, of his setup manually, but he avoids interacting with "Metro" at all costs and strives to make his Win 8.x system look and act as much like Win 7 as possible.  He even wrote an e-book about how to set up such a system yourself that you can find mentioned here.  At US $20 it's less than half what NTlite costs so maybe that might appeal to you more.  Just a thought.

Cheers and Regards