Win7 ISO with SP1 U (Media Refresh) not available anymore

Thiersee

Hi guys,

Win7 ISOs with SP1 U (Media Refresh) are not available anymore on DigitalRiver, MS has taken down the servers!

See the news on heidoc.net

http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links

The ISOs are available ONLY on the Software Recovery Centre with a Retail-Key, an OEM-Key does not work!

Older ISOs are still available.

Regards, Thiersee

MS has taken these down before and restored them after a few days.  While I don't doubt that MS would want to force folks to jump through hoops since regular support has ended for Win 7 as yet another boneheaded decision MS has made, the official status is only a guess by heidoc.net:

The takedown is possibly permanent to force customers to download their installation media on the new Software Recovery Centre.

(emphasis mine)

I guess we'll have to wait and see if it sticks this time, or if there is a more official announcement.

In the meantime, you should probably be sure you have a valid source for future use tucked away for safe keeping, regardless what you need to do to obtain it, just in case.  Not that we can officially encourage or support any underhanded, illegal behavior, of course. :)

There are other officially sanctioned ways to obtain a valid source disk, all of which will usually cost the user some amount of money.  MS might "send you a replacement disk instead. This will happen at a small processing fee, and also requires you to enter the product key of course." "Windows 7 is available from Amazon in three different editions: Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate", but I don't know in what languages. You can also usually find different versions available on ebay or other such sites. Or if you are desperate, willing and able you "can still buy a new or second hand Windows 7 system, and receive a fresh disk with it. If you have an existing key, you can of course use it with the purchased disk as well, and hence equip two computers with Windows."  Expensive I know, but as a last resort...

Remember, you always had to have an official product key anyway in order to legally use Windows 7 for longer than the 30 day trial period, which you were able to reset 3 times for a total of 120 days.

But none of the above options are as inexpensive, quick and easy as being able to download the source from an official MS site.  Let's hope MS comes to their senses and restores this ability for at least as long as Win 7 is in extended support.

Cheers and Regards

MS has taken these down before and restored them after a few days.  While I don't doubt that MS would want to force folks to jump through hoops since regular support has ended for Win 7 as yet another boneheaded decision MS has made, the official status is only a guess by heidoc.net:

I don't think it's a guess of heidoc.net; last time MS has taken the server down was 2014 (I think may), as they changed the servers to azure and some others.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if it sticks this time, or if there is a more official announcement.

In the meantime, you should probably be sure you have a valid source for future use tucked away for safe keeping, regardless what you need to do to obtain it, just in case.  Not that we can officially encourage or support any underhanded, illegal behavior, of course. :)

Yes, just wait a drink a tee ;)

And, of course, I have backups

..... Let's hope MS comes to their senses and restores this ability for at least as long as Win 7 is in extended support.

Hopefully

For the rest of your post:

what does it have to do with my warning? Of course I must have a valid key to activate!

The problem is that even if you buy a pc with Win7 you mostly do not get a disk, only a pre-installed system and a COA (OEM) on the case and with this COA you can't download the ISO!

Regards, Thiersee

For the rest of your post:

what does it have to do with my warning?

Sorry, I was just pointing out that there were other ways to get a valid Win 7 source, since your warning was that we might not be able to download one anymore from DigitalRiver. Of course I know YOU already knew of the other options and have a valid key. Those comments were meant for the benefit of other forum members who might not know. :)

Your comment about pre-installed systems and the problem with a COA is also valid.

Cheers and Regards

• 2 weeks later...

There is a way around it. If you can still find an iso. It doesn't matter what edition. All you have to do is change the ei.cfg file. 

Hi John,

around what :questionmark: ?

The problem is to get the ISO, not to get the Key! It does not have nothing with the ei.cfg to do.

If you have an OEM Key, like the most user (who buy a win7-retail-licence for a lot of money?), you do NOT get an ISO from Microsoft (Software Recovery Centre)!

Regards, Thiersee

How to obtain Win7 ISO:

All the filenames and SHA1 hashes can be found on MSDN site.
- Choose your language on the right then click on details on the desired edition.
- Do a search on your favorite search engine for the filename or the SHA1, then download the ISO.
- Compare the SHA1 of your ISO with the one found on MSDN to be sure to have an untouched ISO.
- Profit.

Do you have tried with the filename ?

With a Google search on en_windows_7_ultimate_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_677332.iso the first result is a direct link (from Google drive :P , and I can confirm the SHA1 is matching), and there are several others direct links on the first page of the results.

Do you have tried with the filename ?

With a Google search on en_windows_7_ultimate_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_677332.iso the first result is a direct link (from Google drive :P , and I can confirm the SHA1 is matching), and there are several others direct links on the first page of the results.

OK, but I need the professional version, both in german and italian, and I didn't find such links like for ultimate-english.

Yes it's a bit more difficult for others language but not impossible. You may have to use torrents sites.

Maybe adding desired language packs to EN version is also possible.

Don't forget that removing the file ei.cfg will allow you to install any version (except N and enterprise).

That also means that any version (except N and enterprise) can be downloaded to obtain the desired version (Professional in your case).

You may have to use torrents sites.

Maybe adding desired language packs to EN version is also possible.

I don't like torrents; adding a language pack would be a step more, I have to integrate.

Don't forget that removing the file ei.cfg will allow you to install any version (except N and enterprise).

That also means that any version (except N and enterprise) can be downloaded to obtain the desired version (Professional in your case).

Of course, I know.

On another forum (chip.de) I found this link for Win7 ISOs (not all!), only german and english!

http://mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/

The downloads works and the checksum is OK, already some ISOs downgeloaded.

Regrads, Thiersee

Edited by Thiersee

• 10 months later...

Hello Everyone,

Excuse me of my limited knowledge of such matter. I have upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 From Windows 7 Home Premium, and would like to Format the laptop add a new SSD and install the previous version of Windows 7 Home Premium i had before that came with the laptop. So my Question is When i open the provided website above

On 2/24/2015 at 0:08 PM, Thiersee said:

On another forum (chip.de) I found this link for Win7 ISOs (not all!), only german and english!

http://mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/

The downloads works and the checksum is OK, already some ISOs downgeloaded.

Regrads, Thiersee

Which one of the provided version shall i download?

From what i Understood that there are 2 versions of English language Windows 7? For the x64 (64-bit) I have?

-------------		en_windows_7_home_premium_with_sp1_x64_dvd_620851.iso		971843a457b6e0db0af61258cbe7256a	b4821f46a171708f5f8f8a0ef48fc16529437961

&
X17-58997.iso		en_windows_7_home_premium_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_676549.iso		da319b5826162829c436306bebea7f0f	6c9058389c1e2e5122b7c933275f963edf1c07b9	

What is the Difference between the Three?
If I am correct, Could you please Guide me to which one of the (Bolded Text) to use With (WINDOWS USB/DVD Download Tool) in order to use with the USB after formatting the old drive and installing Win 7 on my new SSD?

Regards, Ramahi

Edited by Ramahi
Copied the wrong name

The second one (X17-58997.iso)!

BTW:

I have upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 From Windows 7 Home Premium, and would like to Format the laptop add a new SSD and install the previous version of Windows 7 Home Premium i had before

Do you want to use Win10 and Win7 (dual-boot)? In this case you need a new licence for W7: the original has been used for the upgrade.

Regards, Thiersee