Do I really have to integrate updates to all images? (Win Toolkit + Win 7)

Psy-Virus

Hey there,

I've just registered, because I haven't found an answer to the following question:

If I integrate updates to an install.wim. with WinToolkit, do I really have to do it for all images "separately" ?

Or can I only integrate them to the "Ultimate" image?

I mean, the files that are used by the setup from the install.wim are the same for every version (home, home prem, usw...) aren't they?

BTW: It's really an awesome tool!

THX

&

Greetings

Psy-Virus

Edited by Psy-Virus

If you are only updating one image so that you can install that image, then that's the only image you have to update.  If you need to maintain multiple computers that need different versions of the OS, then, as of now, you have to update all the different images you are going to need.  There is a way to only update a single image, the "lowest" one you will need, and then copy and promote that image to the other versions required.  A request has been made to add this capability to Win Toolkit, but this feature has not been added yet.

Cheers and Regards

Thx for you great answer! I'll look for that way you mentioned.

But another thing that came around. If you would answer to this too, this thread should be done. :-)

Times ago I made an AIO installation disk/stick with all Versions. Now I'll bring it to the latest state. I'm also not completely sure if I only wanna make an updated AIO or also some modifications.

So for testing .. well it needs time to build it from ground up; Per image ca. one h..

Are more than 400 updates for an image with sp1 right?. Because, if I install Win 7 sp1 fresh and update it through windows update, there are only ~180-200.

THX

Psy-Virus

What I usually do if I want them all doing is to update the 'Starter' edition and delete the rest from the wim. Once updated, I copy and paste it and then use WIM Manager to quickly 'upgrade' the images. Then merge them back together again. So much quicker.

Thx for you great answer! I'll look for that way you mentioned.

Lego's response above was what I was referring to. :)

Are more than 400 updates for an image with sp1 right?. Because, if I install Win 7 sp1 fresh and update it through windows update, there are only ~180-200.

The difference in the number of updates you mentioned is mainly due to the addition of "request only" updates, or hotfix's, which are not distributed through Windows Update.  Some people want them, others just want an empty response from WU/MU.

Cheers and Regards

Wonderful!

Thank you both for that quick support, I really appreciate that. :)

And maybe this could be added to any FAQs or tips and tricks or something. Because I really haven't found anything. Or I've mishandled the SF. :dancing:

Thread can be closed, if you want to :)

Best regards

• 2 weeks later...

...<cut>

Once updated, I copy and paste it and then use WIM Manager to quickly 'upgrade' the images. Then merge them back together again. So much quicker.

I am sorry but I do not get it as the English is not my first language.

Could you please explain to me how you use WIM manager to 'upgrade' other images (Home,Pro,Ultimate) and merge them together ?

It takes me about 50 hours to fully update all editions and merge x64 with x86 images on i5 with 4GB :]

• 2 weeks later...

What I usually do if I want them all doing is to update the 'Starter' edition and delete the rest from the wim. Once updated, I copy and paste it and then use WIM Manager to quickly 'upgrade' the images. Then merge them back together again. So much quicker.

Can you please explain exactly? I tried it, without success.

TNX, Thiersee

Edit:

I got it on my own :thumbsup_anim: !

Edited by Thiersee