RamDisk ScratchDir

thedexmonster

Have you considered adding RamDisk capability to the Toolkit? I manually run DISM using a RamDisk (Created with Open Source ImDisk: http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html) as the ScratchDir and it is significantly faster!

Also, maybe someone could help me determine why DISM fails to integrate updates when the MountPoint is on a ramdisk?

I tried a lot of different configurations from 8GB up to 24GB. I did see an interesting error when trying to set my ramdisk as my VMWare VHD location. It complained about the destination file system not accepting large files. Strange seeing as it was NTFS. I think the problem is with ImDisk. I have used other programs in the past that showed my drives in the Disk Management Console. ImDisk does not.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

after a long time I tried again to work with a RAM disk (I got 16GB more RAM cheaper...), but the result is (again) not so big as I expected.

My system:

GA-Sniper1.A88X

A10-7850K

32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 1899 9-9-9-27-2

Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Win 7 Prof 64bit

SofPerfect 3.4.6

Ram-Disk 18Gb for WTK-Mount

Ram-Disk 5GB for WTK-Temp and Win-Temp

WTK 1.5.3.Test20

DISM 6.3 (Win 8.1).

To integrate needs the system 49 min, with Mount and Temp on the SSD 65-70 min.

Where can the bottleneck be?

In my system or in my brain ;)?

@abbodi, Would you provide an example set of DISM commands demonstrating what you mean?  Maybe, for example, what is currently necessary?  ( Not that I in any way expect you to continue to do this every month, but it would give folks a working example that they could then modify each month as they see fit.)  What does the exact number of updates that it can efficiently handle depend on?  The amount of memory installed?  The free space available on the disc? Which updates that are involved?  Or what?

@Liam, Ideally, would it be possible for Win Toolkit to incorporate an algorithm to automatically create these DISM session "groupings" when integrating multiple updates if it indeed measurably speeds things up?  Just a thought.

Cheers and Regards

I really don't know what it depends on, but it's more related to the serviced image not the Host OS

i guess on the size of updates and how many are already in the image, how many is pending

but in my experience, after +100 update or so, the dism command will be become slower and slower in adding the packages

the command is the same for dism /add-package, each update need its /packagepath: parameter

of course using this grouping will recuire some batch scripting :D

and using the inner .cab files is much better and faster in integrating

the main script that i learned that concept from is Installer For Windows Updates V28 by Burf

however it's intended for Online operation and contains various checks

there is a reduced version i modded without most checks and for offline integrating: InstallerV27z.zip

I really don't know what it depends on, but it's more related to the serviced image not the Host OS

i guess on the size of updates and how many are already in the image, how many is pending

but in my experience, after +100 update or so, the dism command will be become slower and slower in adding the packages

there is a reduced version i modded without most checks and for offline integrating: attachicon.gifInstallerV27z.zip

Anyway it does not depend on the DISM-version, I tried both, the own version of Win7 and that one of Win 8.1, the results (time) are the same.

Your modded script has been working very well on x86, but on x64 I got errors after update 115, then I changed the update number in the script from 125 to 105 and restarted the integration.

That was the problem and confirms your suspicion.

All tries with untouched ISOs.

Thiersee