strange bug with my posts

ccl0

Just now I made a post, and included a copy/pasted link.  after the link I wrote another sentence. After I submitted the post, all the text that came after the link was missing.  If I try to edit my post, all the missing text behind the link is shown (as in screenshot here) http://i.imgur.com/pEu8w6L.jpg

however, as you can see in the post, none of the text behind the link is being shown in the actual post http://i.imgur.com/tXF3bAp.jpg

well thats strange. I edited my post another time a few minutes later, and now all the text is showing up in my post.  Could this possibly be a firefox issue?  I'm using version 38.0.1

Edited by ccl0

If you have the problem again, temporarily switch into bbCode mode - toggle the little button above the Bold "B" button in the upper left corner of the Edit Box - where you can then manually ensure that all the bbCode "tags", such as [ url ] etc, are in the right place.  Sometimes the automatic WYSIWYG method doesn't quite work correctly.

Cheers and Regards

• 2 months later...

well I've just experienced the same problem again.  I'm thinking that the problem is somehow related to links that I copy and paste while using firefox.  I'm not sure if it happens with other browsers, since ff is my main browser.  but here is the post in question http://www.wincert.net/forum/topic/13162-any-options-for-win78-upgrade-to-win10/#entry116622

the entire post was typed as:

"thanks for the info.  I came across this article today (url link) seems like oem/vlc have not changed, but for others the activations are tied to hardware and are stored online.  Makes it easy to re-install in the future, and seems like you might not even need a key for future activations in certain situations"

the first time I submitted the post, the text stopped right after the url link.

the second time, I just hit the edit button, hit the bbcode button and hit save, and ALL the text disappears.  but it gets even stranger,  then i'll hit refresh a couple min later and text comes back as in how it appears in the first time (text is missing after the url link).

the only time i see the entire text of that post is when i am in edit mode

here is another part to the mystery.  when i made this followup post here, everything came out as it should normally. evidence by the text being displayed after the url above.  that makes me wonder about two possibilities, that 'outside' urls are messing something up, but urls of this forum are safe.  or that maybe only certain sub forums have this issue?

Edited by ccl0

We have two options...

You can save a video of what you're doing, so we can show actual issue to our forum support staff and ask for a bug fix if possible...

or..

We can do a major upgrade of the forum. As you remember we had a lot of performance issues once we upgrade to version 4.0.1.

Currently version 4.0.12.1 is available and that version is now there for a while, so it seems they squashed most bug a perfomance issues..

bphlpt, what do you think about upgrade?

You guys can test a new forum at www.lunarsoft.net and see if you like it..

Regards,

Nik

It might be time to give the upgrade another try. :)  The response time of the current version of Taurun's site at http://www.lunarsoft.net/ seems quite good, better than that of previous versions, from what I remember, and that was the major complaint we had when we tried it before.  It's up to you of course since the vast burden of work will fall to you.  If you go ahead, if we need to go back for any reason, let me know and I'll copy any posts that were made in the new version so they can be copied back after the downgrade so we don't lose any content.

Cheers and Regards

well I've just experienced the same problem again.  I'm thinking that the problem is somehow related to links that I copy and paste while using firefox.  I'm not sure if it happens with other browsers, since ff is my main browser.  but here is the post in question http://www.wincert.net/forum/topic/13162-any-options-for-win78-upgrade-to-win10/#entry116622

@ccl0, I fixed your post at the above link.  You should be able to do it next time yourself, but I'll be glad to help if you need me to.  The problem was created somehow when you pasted in the url. All of your text you entered was still there, it just wasn't displaying correctly.  When I switched to bbcode mode and looked closely at the link, the closing tag of the link was like this: 

... #ftag=YHFb1d24ec [/url]seems ...

while it should be like this: 

... #ftag=YHFb1d24ec[/url] seems ...

Look very, very closely at where the spaces are around the closing tag.  When I changed the spaces it displayed correctly.  Just hiiting the bbcode button and hitting save isn't enough. :(  While in bbcode mode, look and see if you can figure out what is wrong, and then fix it, before you hit save. :)

Cheers and Regards

... #ftag=YHFb1d24ec [/url]seems ...

while it should be like this: 

... #ftag=YHFb1d24ec[/url] seems ...

Look very, very closely at where the spaces are around the closing tag.  When I changed the spaces it displayed correctly.  Just hiiting the bbcode button and hitting save isn't enough. :(  While in bbcode mode, look and see if you can figure out what is wrong, and then fix it, before you hit save. :)

Cheers and Regards

thanks, i did notice that too, but I wasn't sure what that space meant or if it was normal to look that way.   those tags seem to be generated automatically, b/c I didn't do anything fancy when including the url in the post i made.  I literally just highlighted the url in firefox's url bar, and right clicked then copy, and pasted in the link.   I'm not sure how widespread this issue is, or if i am the only one that is experiencing this oddity. for me it is a minor issue, i just find it more strange than anything.

Edited by ccl0

bphlpt, lunarsoft.net might be snappy, but it is much smaller site than Wincert.

Should we make the move :)

You know me.  Personally, I take the view "If it isn't broken, don't fix it."  But we've had this discussion before and I completely understand your viewpoint and it is just as valid as well.  I'm game if you are and I'll support whatever decision you make.  You might want to make a thread and take a survey?  But again, the final choice is yours.

Cheers and Regards

... those tags seem to be generated automatically, b/c I didn't do anything fancy when including the url in the post i made.  I literally just highlighted the url in firefox's url bar, and right clicked then copy, and pasted in the link.

They are generated automatically. But just because it's automatic doesn't mean it's always correct.  That's the advantage of having access to the bbcode mode so you can fix it manually when it messes up.  An example of when I always have to fix things is when I'm typing along and want to bold a potion of what I'm entering.  If I highlight and bold the very last part of a sentence, then try to continue typing more stuff immediately following that, I find that bold is "stuck" on, and it continues in bold, so I have to highlight and un-bold.  When I switch to bbcode mode, I have better control since I can manually control exactly where the [ /b ] tag is located.  But then I'm old school, before all of this fancy, schmancy, automatic stuff existed. :)

Cheers and Regards