WinSXS Cleanup Experiment

Legolash2o

Today I've been experimenting with cleaning up WinSXS. As you may know every month I create new ISOs, however I've noticed the size for an x64 image goes to about 17.5GB with all 500+ updates installed. I've successfully managed to cleanup WinSXS to reduce the install back to 11GB! The best news is that it boots and installed successfully without a single error :P

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can try yet to reduce an image size?

Any software you can suggest I install to see if it works?

Any other test?

At the minute it's just an extra exe which I point to the a mount path and it just automatically does its things.

EDIT:  Windows update did prompt 3 tiny updates. KB971033 did not want to install though with error 80070643 so I just hid it.

Tests

Enable/Disable features - FAIL (not surprised) :P

Software

Microsoft Office 2013 - OK

Visual Studio 2013 - PENDING

OK means no issues.

KNOWN ISSUES

Enable/Disable Features does not work.

Cleanup.7z

I don't think that is it.  I think Liam made his own tool:

The minitool I made removes them.

that he uses privately and has not released for general use.  I'm sure that if the tool progresses to the point of general usefulness that he will share it.

Cheers and Regards

Hey,

Not sure if this happens while installing or if its in the actuall iso,

But i install a few systems every day, and most of them if not all, i run cleanmgr.exe and i notice that it has around 3~4gb of error report files.

I guess dumps ? even though install went fine, updates everything and system runs perfectly. so.. yeah wondering it that is also in the wim and taking up space.

Found something really cool, especially for Windows 7 that lacks the "ResetBase".

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/59389-Dism-A-Powerful-Tool-of-Clean-and-Tweak

I gained back 2,5 GB from a fresh install with it.

For me it just removes \Backup and \ManifestCache contents  :g: 

----

the best experience W7's winsxs is to keep the higher version component + RTM version (6.1.7600.16385 and 6.1.7601.17514)

and remove the inbetween :D

Edited by abbodi1406

the best experience W7's winsxs is to keep the higher version component + RTM version (6.1.7600.16385 and 6.1.7601.17514)

and remove the inbetween :D

I'd rather just keep the newer version and remove as much of the RTM as possible :P

That tool you linked to seems to work great so I don't need to work on mine until a much later date :P

I wish you would work on it. I checked out the linked tool and most of the tool is in what I think is Chinese. I'm not sure all the Asian languages look the same to me.

I'm not sure where you are located or what your computer's language is set to, but I just tried v10.0.0.8 and it automatically came up in English for me.  If you need to manually set it to English, you should be able to set it by selecting "English" from "Options/Language", see below: ( It might read differently to you, but the location should be the same )

2ik33f4.jpg

Once you have it set correctly, everything you need to run the tool should be in English.  Yes, there is still a lot in Chinese, but you should be able to do what you need to do.  If needed, I think mooms has a version in French available, here, at least I think he has a French translation there. :)  Hope that helps.

Cheers and Regards

I think mooms has a version in French available, here, at least I think he has a French translation there. :)  Hope that helps.

Nope, that's the same that's posted at MDL and here, only made a mirror on Mediafire.

Just tested v10.0.5.1: it is not completely translated, there is a new option on the top and I don't know what it is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I have a question - did anyone of Dism++ users here tried first two options (WU Cleanup and Outdated drivers)? I'd like to hear if their systems survived that action ^_^

The second option appears, when you disable Novice Mode in options dialog.

Edited by mimik