RunOnce Installs Tons of UNWANTED Drivers

Mark Strelecki

What the heck is going on here?

Everything works fine, and always has, with a registered copy of WinToolkit version 1.5.4.4.

Recently I went to make a new installer and Lo and Behold, at 1st desktop (RunOnce), the Driver Installer opens and wants to install HUNDREDS of drivers. I did NOT ask for them, and I did NOT integrate any drivers with WTK. All I want/need to do is STOP THE RUNONCE DRIVER INSTALLATION.

Please let me know what you need from me, if anything.

I'm using an Install.wim that has the new Convenience Rollup integrated (and before you ask I did it the right way, using KUC and getting help from an expert). I know the CR has something like 53 new drivers added to it, so maybe that's the cause? PLEASE don't let that be the reason. I LOVE WTK 'cuz I can control SO MANY settings (tweaks).

Is there a new version planned anytime soon?

Best wishes from hot and steamy Atlanta.

MARK STRELECKI

I found out what was wrong, and I'm still confused, but here goes...

I was installing Win7Pro on an SSD that had a partition I was not erasing and it had a TON of drivers for this Thinkpad11e laptop.

This time I blasted the SSD clean and popped out the SDHC card (that also had the drivers on it) and now the driver installer DOES NOT RUN at first desktop/RunOnce.

OK, so I figured out it was my problem, but why would the setup load these drivers when I never asked it to?

I'm embarrassed but wiser, and everybody knows it now. :D

I seem to remember that this was an asked for "feature" that was added to WTK to make it easier to install the OS on various machines. Each time the OS is installed it will also install whatever drivers are found in a particular "driver folder" that can be on a different drive or USB stick. I'm sure the info about this feature are around here somewhere, but I haven't looked very hard for it. This feature can be very, very handy, but can also catch you unaware, as it did you. :)

Cheers and Regards

I remember this. If you have a folder named "Drivers" in the root of any drive connected during install it will be picked up by the RunOnce.

Though, it should only install the drivers needed for the current install not all what it finds in the folder.

Thank you, my friends. You are right on target. The folder on the SSD and the SDHC card was named DRIVERS, and knowing that it was an intended feature makes me feel better. A little. Haha. Live and learn, I guess. I am also reminded that these forums are watched by some some pretty smart folks who are willing to help, so thank you!

I took the same image and installed into a Virtualbox VM on another machine and saw no RunOnce driver setup screen, so I knew the image was not the issue. I think the idea of looking to a particular folder at setup time for drivers is just a bit inspired, and would definitely benefit the brave souls who trek into this "clean install" wilderness, if they are aware of it. Best wishes from this Padawan in Atlanta.

MARK STRELECKI