Media Creation Tool Erases USB Partitions

Using:  Windows 10, Media Creation Tool, 32GB USB Stick

Since Microsoft have decided on the regular feature updates I've decided not to waste any more DVDs for creating Install Discs.  They're only valid now for a few months before they become essentially obsolete.  So, I thought I'll have a go with creating the setup files on a USB.  It's 32 GB so far more than the 8 GB stipulated.  However, I didn't want three quarters of the USB to remain unused so I went about partitioning it.  Using Windows 10 Disk Management this worked a treat.

I now reach the point of using the Media Creation Tool.  I've given the tool a 10GB primary partition to play with.  However, I've tried this several times now and every time the tool erases all partitions, creates it's own and adds the setup files.  There is no warning that it's about to do that.  Thank the lord I was working on a blank USB and had no important data stored on it.

Can anyone shed any light on why this is happening?  Is this normal behaviour which Microsoft just hasn't clearly advertised?  Is there a workaround?

Thanks in advance.

James

Edited by hobbitshire

Hi Jan,

Well, to "boot from USB" was not my objective.  I was attempting to create an installation disc on a USB drive as opposed to a DVD.  The Windows Media Creation Tool is designed to do this but clearly doesn't work the way I had it in mind.  Thus, I'm wasting a huge amount of disk space.

The setup files appear to be hard coded so that it ignores any existing partitions, wipes what's there and then creates it's own before placing the install files on it.  All this with no warning to the user.  I can't believe I'm the only one who has attempted this.

Edited by hobbitshire

• 1 month later...