W7 - will it install on this gear?

fortyporty

I've just been told I might not be able to install W7 (Ultimate 64bit) onto this newly purchased hardware (that I can't return 😞 😞

CPU: Intel Coffee Lake Core i5 8400 6 Core 2.8Ghz LGA 1151

MOBO: ASUS PRIME H370M-PLUS MATX Form, Intel H370 Chipset 4X DDR4-2666 2xM.2, USB 3.1 Gen2 HDMI DVI VGA. (Plus 32GB ram).

I really, really don't want W10.

Any thoughts?

Thanks 🙂

Yes, but your might have to add a discrete graphic card as I'm not sure the integrated card of the core 8000 series have a Win7 driver.

Also, you must integrate some drivers (USB3) in the WinPE image to be able to install Win7. It can be done with WinToolkit.

4 hours ago, Thiersee said:

For that board there are no driver for Windows 7 at all!

Remaining possibility: sell the board, sorry!

Happy New Year!

Thanks, and Mooms, too.

OK, I could sell the board and take a loss but what about the CPU I bought with the board?

Intel Coffee Lake Core i5 8400 6 Core, LGA 1151.

Will that work with some other w7-friendly board?

On 12/27/2018 at 11:07 PM, fortyporty said:

Thanks, and Mooms, too.

OK, I could sell the board and take a loss but what about the CPU I bought with the board?

Intel Coffee Lake Core i5 8400 6 Core, LGA 1151.

Will that work with some other w7-friendly board?

Z370 is just Z270 renamed (and it's almost the same as Z170), so a MB with this chipset should work with Windows 7 (but you must integrate some drivers, especially USB3, to be able to install it).

see this thread:

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/drivers-to-install-win-7-on-a-win-10-native-computer.78573/

And this one:

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/win-7-z390-chipset-an-old-guys-fears.78549/#post-1490012

You can indeed use Windows 7 on the newer Coffee Lake platforms compatible with the 8700k or the 9900k, but you have to stick to one of three chipsets:
Z370, H310 (I think the C version, H310C,) and the B365 chipset.

You should also take a look at Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC, it come without Cortana, the store, Edge, and have a lot less of the telemetry crap.