MS-DOS Editor is back!

SnowBall

I think it might just be better to provide a standalone portable MS-DOS Editor rather than having to install NTVDMx64 for 64-bit Windows users.

Download here

Project cancelled. No more downloads.

It will create a temp file in the working directory so make sure that directory is not write protected. Some characters might not show correctly but I don't think that is a big issue. It can run within Command Prompt or standalone. The other good thing is it can interact with your system so you can copy text using notepad and paste into Edit or vice versa. 

Running in Command Prompt:

Edit-1.png

Running standalone:

Edit-2.png

Hope you like it,

SnowBall

Edited by SnowBall

I've got DOS Shell working but it is pointless because it uses up all memory to do a directory listing of your hard drive. Ask me if you want it.

Here is MS-DOS QBasic and it can run standalone or inside Command Prompt just like MS-DOS Editor.

QBasic-1.png

I can't play GORILLA.BAS because instead of showing color, the screen is black and I can't see anything. I will try to fix this when I get time, so no bananas for now😅.

Edited by SnowBall

I was thinking about converting the full MS-DOS so it can run under Windows 10 64-bit. I've already got DOS 1.25 done but it is completely useless because not many DOS apps were designed for it.

It is a bit challenging doing DOS 3.x and above but I think I can get it (eventually). I've got half of MS-DOS 3.30 working already and hopefully I can get everything done next week. The hardest thing is that not every DOS utility can be converted without a risk. You certainly don't want things like CHKDSK or SCANDISK running on Windows 10 64-bit with direct disk access because it can mess up your hard drive easily. Below is my fully working COMMAND.COM and you can even launch 64-bit Windows apps using it!

PM me if anybody want any specific DOS app to be converted😀.

Project cancelled. No more requests.

MS-DOS-3-30-1.png

Edit: Yep  done! I figured out you don't need to convert every app and the converted COMMAND.COM can handle 16-bit, 32-bit and 64-bit apps. You can also use COMMAND.COM to run Windows 10's Command Prompt or use Windows 10's Command Prompt to run COMMAND.COM which is surprising. I am now packing this up ready to share it!

IMG-0541.png

The only problem now is the copyright. I don't think Microsoft still care about DOS anymore but it would be good just to confirm that I can upload the whole OS. If I can't then you can simply grab the files off your DOS 3.30 floppy or download it from the internet to a folder and replace COMMAND.COM with this one.

Although I know this is 100% safe if you don't do silly things, I still have to say: I am not responsible if you mess up your computer by running this unofficial DOS port to 64-bit Windows. Please don't run any disk related commands as you might end up destroying your hard drive partitions because file systems did change a lot in the last 30 years. If you have never used DOS before or don't have the basic knowledge about it, run it in a VM for the sake of your data.

Edited by SnowBall

• 10 months later...

Circa 1995, there was available the C code for, MemoPade.exe.  Unfinished DOS, Editor.   The compressed

file of code could be downloaded.   I have a royalty free, version of, MemoPad.exe.   If in the future, DOS will not

make available, EDIT.COM, then this one is better than edlin.com        Contact me:   russell.r.wuertz@protonmail.com

The price of postage, & a CD has to be paid for.   

• 1 year later...