kaspersky internet sec or zonealarm pro

shahed

hi

i want to create an addon for a premium security program, and will share it with everybody except the serials, but i need your help. please vote as which one would you people recommend for the BEST OVERALL security program:

zonealarm pro 7 or kaspersky internet security 6

I use none so I could not tell you... nood32 is what I recommend

Deinftaely, but that is not an all-around solution (whether that is actually good or bad I leave open for debate).

In any case, ESET (the NOD32 makers) are having a secruity suite in beta (which you can try for free - looks quite promising, IMO) up here:

http://www.eset.eu/download/beta

Off Topic: I hate AntiVirus addons, constantly need updating

Well, I'm quite confident with my NOD32 addon *blushes*

The core app isn't updated that often and you can easily get the virus signatures via online update.

Also, having an AV solution installed right on the start means you won't get this nasty Win Security Center shield bitching about it ;) (yes, it can be disabled, but still).

Anyway, it just feels better to have one on board ;)

As for Kasperski or Zonealarm, I dunno, I guess Kasp is the better one from what you read but still.

I definately favour an antivrius-only solution and using a decent hardware router as a firewall.

All these PFWs aren't secure at all, tricking you into thinking you were...

i used to use nod32 because it uses the lowest amount of RAM/CPU of any AV out there...and i like its approach to AV protection better than programs like kaspersky. i also used to use avg antispyware and outpost firewall, as well as a few standalone rootkit scanners, spybot s&d, bugoff, peerguardian, hijackthis, crapcleaner, mru-blaster........you get the idea.

now ive uninstalled most of that in exchange for...being careful what i download. when im not behind a router i use comodo firewall 2.4 and not really anything else. in my opinion a knowledgeable computer user is better off having the extra resources that antivirus/spyware apps usually take up, and just being smart about what they put on their computers.

but if you have to make an addon, make one for NOD32 :thumbsup_anim:

which software is best for virus, spyware, basically all round protection?

or is it better individual software like one for virus, one for spyware, and one for firewall considering system resources?

Edited by shahed

I also prefer nod32 for it's excellent protection and its minimal use of system resources.

I also enjoy the Look n' Stop firewall. Despite it's somewhat silly name(which in my opinion makes it sound like a shopping tool), it is the most effective tool I have seen yet for controlling my network traffic. It also affords much more control over almost all of the parameters of network communication, as opposed to the big name security progs. which are supposed to take care of all of the details for you. It isn't very intuitive for a beginner, but very powerful. It also uses very little resources and has lifetime updates once purchased.

I tried Kaspersky. Despite providing what I felt to be excellent protection, it was far to heavy on my system resources. It felt like I was running at half speed most of the time. Its probably excellent protection for someone who is lucky enough to be running a powerful processor with lots of RAM.

I have tried the ZoneAlarm free firewall, and found it to be reasonably useful and only slightly annoying. When all the hubbub stated about ZoneAlarm software sending personal information back to zonealarm, I stopped using it. I have heard the the Pro version is effective.

If I have to vote for one or the other, I would say Kaspersky. :welcome:

now ive uninstalled most of that in exchange for...being careful what i download. when im not behind a router i use comodo firewall 2.4 and not really anything else. in my opinion a knowledgeable computer user is better off having the extra resources that antivirus/spyware apps usually take up, and just being smart about what they put on their computers.

While I do agree with you that a thoughtful and sensible use of computers and the internet definately is a must; and I certainly do not click on everything that's shiny and colourful, this doesn't get you very far if you come to look at it.

Firstly, companies such as ASUS and hp had infected driver files on their official FTPs.

Common sense would mostly assume files coming from big companies through their official channels are save, but evidently they are not.

Also, a lot of computer magazines managed to get viruses on their cover discs, again, you would assume these were save.

Secondly, do you DL AddOns from here?

If so, even if we can exclude any malevolent acts by all the contributors around here, if any of these also does not use an AV programme because they consider themselves carefully enough not to click suspicious mail attachments, they could have become infected unnoticedly - and so could the AddOn be.

Now, if you also do not us AV, you may also catch it - and you wouldn't even know!

That said, while you may consider yourself save because you haven't been infected in x years, how can you be sure?

Just because there haven't been any obvious negative effects doesn't mean you are completely clean.

Most modern viruses will not delete your HDDs but they will open backdoors on your system so it becomes a slave in a botnet sending out spam, participating in DDoS attacks and so on.

If you are using a flatrate internet connection, you are unlikely to even notice this.

Hence, the only situation where you can do fine without an AV programme is on a system always disconnected from the net, where you do not put any external media (CDs/DVDs/FDDs/USB Sticks etc) on and the only data on it is created by yourself.

And if you do not want to have any auto-protection solution running (because of your precious resources, maybe?), you should at least periodically scan for viruses, rootkits and trojans using a bootable CD/DVD.

but if you have to make an addon, make one for NOD32 :thumbsup_anim:

There already is, as I created one :D

All you people out there thank you so much for your help, and votes.

ok after all these replys, votes and peoples recommendation, the result is:

nod32 for virus

comodo firewall for firewall

but for ANTISPYWARE which one would you people recommend also considering system resources

All you people out there thank you so much for your help, and votes.

ok after all these replys, votes and peoples recommendation, the result is:

nod32 for virus

comodo firewall for firewall

but for ANTISPYWARE which one would you people recommend also considering system resources

From my experience Spyware Doctor is far the best in detection of unwanted applications like Spyware, Malware and Adware.

for anti spyware, go with spybot search and destroy...

Well, IMO that is a crap app. Recently my friend asked me to check his computer since he had some spyware/adware problems. He also had installed Spybot S&D and AdAware Free version.

After I've updated both programs and did a full scan when they've found several problems and fixed them, but that PC was far from finished.

After that I've removed both applications and installed Spyware Doctor, updated it and run a full scan. It found more than 500 infected files and after the removal everything was working OK.

So I'd go with Spyware Doctor as the best shareware solution.

tired of looking for the best security. all of them are system resource hog. the best i cam across so far is nod32 for virus. the comodo firewall blocks my utorrent and keeps asking me for confirmation, and for spyware the best one i found is spyware terminator 2.0. (any better spyware app in mind)

i just need help with the firewall, the comodo firewall blocks my utorrent, and keeps asking me for confirmation

• 2 weeks later...