[AddOn] Windows Sidebar v6.0.6002.18005

ricktendo

Hi guys,

Firstly, great add-on. I had no problems whatsoever installing the sidebar after Alky 1.0 and the Wireless hotfix. Everything is working fine, EXCEPT for the fact that the sidebar isn't sitting properly on top of other windows. It looks fine docked on the desktop, but if I have any application open, such as Firefox, Explorer, whatever, the sidebar is merely floating on top rather than docking - the minimize/close buttons for the app and the scrollbar etc are underneath the sidebar and inaccessible, rather than the window adjusting itself to the width of the screen next to the sidebar.

Anybody else experiencing this? What can I do to fix it?

Cheers.

(I'm running XP Pro SP2)

Edited by Lyle Waggoner

Yeah, it's checked for me. When that's unchecked, it just sits on the desktop underneath all my windows, so in effect, it's checking that box that brings about the problem.

I thought it might be some kind of z-index issue, and I had Rocketdock running on my desktop, but even restarting with that not running didn't resolve the issue...

All of the vista fonts don't appear to be displaying properly or even at all. I copied the fonts straight out of a working vista install and it still would not display at all. When I do a font preview it just comes up blank. Can someone help me correct this? I am using Windows XP Media Center Edition SP2.

EDIT: nevermind. If you have this issue then reboot your computer.

Edited by shinji

I found that the CTcontrol gadget uses paths that don't work on the shutdown, standby, reboot, and such. I have patched the CTcontrol.html file for it with equivalent commands in XP. These are standard in all XP installs so I am not using any special programs to accomplish this. I have not tested them yet though so let me know if it works or not. If it doesn't I will try to see if I can get it to work.

First you will need to locate where the gadget is installed.

If you did not install for all users then it will be here:

%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets

If you did install for all users then it will be here:

%ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Shared Gadgets

In there you will find the folder "CTcontrol1.9.gadget"

Inside there you will find CTcontrol.html. Backup the file and replace it with the one that is attached. The commands may be specific to XP. I've only tested the volume control one. The other ones should work though.

CTcontrol.html

Edited by shinji

Hey you're leaving the animation apart?? that should be working to look like the real vista sidebar... and also the installation of the gadgets, you should let them install without having to check for installing for all the users.

Otherwise, this is a great addon.. with a few glitches but works excelent, of course it could work and look better if it shows the glass animation as on the real sidebar.. you know, the glass border appears on the sidebar when you put the mouse over it.

Hey you're leaving the animation apart?? that should be working to look like the real vista sidebar... and also the installation of the gadgets, you should let them install without having to check for installing for all the users.

Otherwise, this is a great addon.. with a few glitches but works excelent, of course it could work and look better if it shows the glass animation as on the real sidebar.. you know, the glass border appears on the sidebar when you put the mouse over it.

The Gadget installer is a 3rd party installer, it installs just fine if you dont check "All Users". It will only install the gadget for you and it wont go in Shared Gadgets

The animation is another thing I have nothing to do with, That has got to do with Alky for Applications and what RCData skin it uses.

See it does not use the default skin locations, I actually have to patch it to look like the faded sidebar. See it can only use the non aero always on top skin

Does anyone know how Alky for Applications works? Reason I ask is because it seems that I had an issue with one of my games picking up that I was using cheats or something and it would exit out randomly. I emailed the devs of the game but while waiting I removed both the Windows Sidebar and Alky for Applications and the issue went away. I'll probably go back and try to investigate further but until then...

I think I need some help installing and setting this up. I have downloaded the sidebar link for SP2, Alky for Applications, Wireless Lan API Hotfix KB940541, and the Gadget Installer. I already have WMP11 and IE7 on my PC. I double-click sidebar.exe and it opens up, however I cannot see any lists of gadgets when I click the Add Gadgets button, and I have no clue how to install any other gadgets. I have tried the RAR files, but all I see are image files, XMLs, etc., nothing with .gadget. Is there any help you could provide me?

Hey Rick.. i got this problem.

It say " The procedure entry point MSVCR80._except_handler4_common could not be located in the dynamic link library vmsvcrt.dll "

" sidebar.exe - Entry Point Not Found "

Any idea dude??

yea... tell me abt it... :crying_anim02:

but now it say " The procedure entry point_getdrivers could not be located in the dynamic link library vmsvcrt.dll"

Is it because of the regsvr32??

everytime i click regsvr32 it say " The procedure entry point_except_handler3 could not be located in the dynamic link library vmsvcrt.dll "

I covered up everything the requirement to install the sidebar though but still got the problem.

But i got no problem previous installing the sidebar until i try to install it again.

Woahhh~~~ Hold' On... It works alrdy... Hahaha.. Thank God!!! :thumbsup_anim: I'm not sure what's the hell when wrong. I just try my luck reinstalling it again. But anyway i'll keep it update if anything gone wrong. Thanks Rick for your previous reply. Happy New Year to you.

Brilliant work rick. Just installed your sidebar after trying at least 3 other 'lookalikes' which aren't compatible with Vista gadgets, and yours is the real deal -- the only one that is as far as I know.

Only encountered one problem so far, the Recycle Bin gadget. All I get is a white block, and that applies to both the vista and xp recycle bin gadgets. My system:

Windows Sidebar v6.0.6000.16386 from: http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=1442

XP Home SP2

IE7

WMP11

Net Framework 3.0

WLAN Hotfix KB940541

Also rick, a little confused about version numbers for the sidebar, since I've seen references to v7.xx in the 'changelog' here: http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=485

Yet my download is labelled v6.0.6000.16386

Have I just installed an old version ??

Thanks in advance

Edited by pip22