[AddOn] Windows Sidebar v6.0.6002.18005

ricktendo

You have installed RTM version (most stable IMO) the others were from beta service packs of Vista.

For your recycle bin fix, do you by any chance have Firefox set as your default browser?

If you do set IE7 as your default browser then Re-register the windows sidebar by going to Add/Remove programs to the windows sidebar entry and push the "Change" button

Then you can set Firefox back as your def browser

Thank you for the sidebar version info, Rick. Also, your hunch that Firefox set as default during sidebar install was spot on -- it was that which caused the glitch with the Recycle Bin gadget. Your workaround worked like a charm.

However, Sidebar has since given me a "sidebar needs to close" message, with another pop-up saying "one of the installed gadgets caused the problem" -- "please remove the problem gadget and restart sidebar". Guess it must be the Recycle Bin gadget 'cos Sidebar never crashed out before I added that. No sweat, I can live with that. Windows has it's own Recycle Bin anyway, so I can use the sidebar space for something more useful!

Thanks again for your help. I still think this Sidebar is the only one worth having to make XP truly look like Vista.

Respect. You're the man!

Pip

Edited by pip22

Hi, Thanks for that. Just one more question. how can i translate the sidebar??? i'm found the description but link is death...

Instructions:

- You need these files MyTempDir( DEATH LINK)

- Start with fresh unpatched sidebar files.

- Rename the tr-TR folder with the sidebar.exe.mui and sbdrop.dll.mui files to en-US

- Patch sidebar.exe with your favorite skin (Optional)

- Right click on sbdrop.dll, wlsrvc.dll and sidebar.exe and patch em with VAIO

- For cosmetic reasons you can rename the en-US folder back to tr-TR but you will have to rename it back to en-US if you wish to repatch it in the future with another skin and then with VAIO

NOTE: VAIO b2 does not recognize or support the tr-TR folder yet, but im sure in build3 it will cuz I told NR to submit it to Rafael & ZoRoNaX

NOW!!! NR you can repack my Sidebar AddOn and add your turkish files for your updatepack users

turksishwn2.jpg

OFF TOPIC: VAIO needs the mui files of whatever language to be in a en-US folder, it applies the lang and also the version number of the mui files to the sidebar and sbdrop files...

I had the mui files from 5744 in the en-US folder when I updated to the RTM and I forgot to update them and when VAIO patched the 6000 sidebar it changed the version number to 5744

NR Why dont you guys also do a translation file for Windows Sidebar Styler you can email the Creator and he will send you a template

Hi Rick,

Great piece of software!! Really the only thing that i really miss from vista is the sidebar and the gadgets. I am having one issue though with only one gadget. Weather and cpu/mem monitors work great. i have a bf2player.com gadget that shows me either my stats or a buddylist from the game battlefield 2. I use it in the buddylist form which shows me who is on playing or if i click on their name it gives me their stats. The issue i am having is that when players are on, the gadget doesnt give me a green dot next to their name (red dot if they arent on). Is it that the gadget isnt or cant poll the server to see who is on when used in xp? Under vista is worked flawlessly. Any ideas or workarounds? Thanks for the help and great app!!

J

Rick,

Nlite install as addon, worked fine (mostly). Couldn't get the CPU meters to work (white box) and transparency was an issue. Anyway, noticed you had an update (manual), so decided to try it. Attempt to uninstall via control panel caused this (change/repair caused same response):

EasyCapture2.jpg

Suggestions?

Edited by waynet

Yea you should have tskill.exe in system32, if you don't then you should either get it, expand it from your install disc and copy it to system32 or you could edit the INF file and stop tskill from running (its used to close the windows sidebar before uninstall)

Here is my tskill.exe from my windows xp (copy it to your system32 folder) http://www.mediafire.com/?aj7emxxejgf

For your broken white gadgets fix look here

I've got a problem. Sidebar.exe seems to hog a lot of memory (like 150k). Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks!

You really think 150k is a lot of memory? For something as graphically intensive as the Vista Sidebar I don't think it's a lot. Don't know why but it loads way faster on my XP than on my daughter's Vista (both have 1Gig RAM) so I'm not complaining! I take my hat off to ricktendo64 and his co-developers who ported it over to XP -- it's probably going to satisfy XP users enough to stick with what they have for much longer instead of upgrading to Vista (Microsoft no doubt doesn't want that to happen, which is probably why they didn't port the Vista Sidebar over to XP themselves).

hi, i have a question and a problem :)

question is "can i turkish sidebar runing on windows xp pro 64bit (x64)"...

problem is "windows sidebar styler is not working"...

windows sidebar very nice working, but im windows sidebar styler install and any skin patch select and windows sidebar is not runing...

68927918sd0.jpg

windows kenar

Edited by Acces Netdede

Hello !

First, I wanna thank you for this wonderful application for us, XP users.

I have a problem though, my gadgets don't work! They show a white background and the clock is all black etc.. I have tried to fix it by following the FAQ instructions, but in vain.

PS: I have WMP11 and IE7.

Here is a screeshot :

8668dvm.jpg

oke first of all i wanna say i really love it :giveheart:!

seccond,

ik have installed the lasted Win XP SP2 build..

now i have some problems with it..

some gadgets seemed to turn white.. :crying_anim02:

CPU usage (all of them)

next, previous, pause buttens etc. in the media player gadget and the picture viewer..

the wheater gadgets..

and some more..

i've tried the thing in your previous comment, but that didn't work.. :thumbsdown_anim:

any suggestions :questionmark:

thx!