[AddOn] Windows Sidebar v6.0.6002.18005

ricktendo

hey rick some really nice addons :thumbsup: I was wondering though... I am anal retentive about my directory structure, can I safely modify the structure in the .inf or will that affect things... IE:

svcpack\Alky_XP.exe

svcpack\Gadgets.exe

If so would it be very difficult for me to modify these two (I'm assuming) silent installers, to install to my directory structure?

EDIT: it seems that all gadgets.exe does is make a couple of directories under %programfiles%\Windows Sidebar is that correct?

Edited by benjammin

All Gadgets.exe is used for is you drag and drop any extracted/installed Gadgets you may want included in the addon

Say for example WeatherBug, you want this installed with the addon. Just install the gadget (as you would normally) then open svcpack\Gadgets.exe in WinRAR

Drag and drop WeatherBug.Gadget (the extracted/installed folder) into the Gadgets or Shared Gadgets folder of the opened with WinRAR SFX

ok... well tried getting the microsoft RecentDocuments.Gadget (mrugadget.msi) to install using every switch I know of for installing to specified directory... but it appears as though it doesn't allow that... as it always installs to %programs%\Windows Sidebar\..

so can I just copy the RecentDocuments.Gadget folder to my perferred install folder? I don't think this would be very clean, probably need some reg entries...

also tried editing mrugadget.msi with winINSTALL LE and pointed the files to the folder I wanted them to goto... but MS has something keeping me from editing it... everytime I save the package it fails after doing the directory edits... wish I knew more about winINSTALL... I'd probably have this thing wooped by now... heh

ok... well tried getting the microsoft RecentDocuments.Gadget (mrugadget.msi) to install using every switch I know of for installing to specified directory... but it appears as though it doesn't allow that... as it always installs to %programs%\Windows Sidebar\..

so can I just copy the RecentDocuments.Gadget folder to my perferred install folder? I don't think this would be very clean, probably need some reg entries...

also tried editing mrugadget.msi with winINSTALL LE and pointed the files to the folder I wanted them to goto... but MS has something keeping me from editing it... everytime I save the package it fails after doing the directory edits... wish I knew more about winINSTALL... I'd probably have this thing wooped by now... heh

Tell me again what folder do you want it in?

I appreciate the offer, but I took it upon myself to figure out the whole reg2inf deal... and actually added the files and reg entries and everything to your pack so it installs right along with the main inf... I was able to edit the gadget installer via winINSTALL LE so that it installs to my specified directory, same with the alky.msi only since it went in svcpack I made a 7zsfx for it. Again thanks for the offer, but I feel a little more dangerous now... haha... maybe one of these days I'll figure out how to do a full blown addon... instead of just modifying the work of everyone else.

i installed the latest version(v6.0.6001.18000)

wsbarkp1.png

is it normal? 3 sidebar.exe run in a time just with 2 gadgets..i found that only 2 sidebar.exe run simultaneously before..

i fully uninstalled it..and installed it again..still have same problems..any help?

Yeah rick I have had issues with it using more and more mem, that is beside the point right now.

After some upgrades to my system, I reinstalled my OS with the same CD as last time but for some reason I am having major issues with some gadgets.

- Imps CPU meter just shows a white box

- Gmail gadget shows a box when I try to login, the box is empty and when I click ok it go's white and stays or I can press cancel, then it go's way but does not log me in.

- Network meter from hobby lounge is showing little white glitches

Did I forget to install something this time, I have reinstalled the sidebar and such but still no luck, I really really need this Gmail gadget makes life so much easier. If you know anything I might be missing let me know, I installed sidebar on my W2K3 setup as last time, right click INF.

Yeah rick I have had issues with it using more and more mem, that is beside the point right now.

After some upgrades to my system, I reinstalled my OS with the same CD as last time but for some reason I am having major issues with some gadgets.

- Imps CPU meter just shows a white box

- Gmail gadget shows a box when I try to login, the box is empty and when I click ok it go's white and stays or I can press cancel, then it go's way but does not log me in.

- Network meter from hobby lounge is showing little white glitches

Did I forget to install something this time, I have reinstalled the sidebar and such but still no luck, I really really need this Gmail gadget makes life so much easier. If you know anything I might be missing let me know, I installed sidebar on my W2K3 setup as last time, right click INF.

Can I see a screenshot of these boxes?

I may have a solution, It may be your setting Firefox as the default browser before the registering of the files

Here is how you fix it:

- Set IE as your default browser (both in start menu and in IE's Internet Options)

- Now go to add/rem programs and hit the change button

- Restart Windows Sidebar and voila

- Now you can set Firefox back to your default browser

FYI if you want to avoid this do not set FF to be your default browser before your desktop loads, wait till after the sidebar is installed.

Thanks for the reply rick, that was not my problem but it helped me fine my problem lol dope... :oops:

IE7 was suppose to be installed but was not and considering I pretty much remove all shortcuts and never use it, I did not notice anyways that was the problem soon as I installed it everything was normal.

I forget if I asked you this before, to keep my settings after a reinstall for the sidebar all I have to do is copy this folder and move it back after install %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar

Hey guys, Well I managed to get it installed after a few failed attempts (didn't have dll or something)

After restarting and loadin the sidebar any gadget that uses transparency has pink where it's supposed to be 'blank'

Had a browse through this thread and didn't fine anything like this (except the wierd white boxes)

Helpshot.jpg

What's the problem then?

BTW nice work on the port :)

@Ricktendo64

I would like to ask a question again that has already been asked three weeks before:

is there a way to install your really cool sidebar with an Installer and hopefully with silent/unattended-switches?

I ask this because I want to have the possibility to integrate your sidebar in my WPI, so that I can choose wether I want to install it or not (for my not-so-freaky-as-me-family-members ;)).

Best regards

cool400

Hi Ricks !

Thanks again & again for your great job and for this addon.(For the next, sorry for my English).

I send to you the french Vista Sidebar SP1 files & the translated install/uninstall file too.

What about Vista Sp1 Game? I tried to patch them with Alky 1.1.No success. :(

1---> I've got some errors [ with Chess.exe + Mahjong.exe only] about a procedure entries missing in Alky library (i forgot the exact name.)

2---> Games are translated in french, but do not work.

3---> Games version goes from 6.0.6001.18000 to 6.0.6000.1683

Please, Help. Any idea to fix all of that :g: ? A tuto that you've the secret will appreciate.

NB:Uploading of Vista SP1 fr-FR (7z compressed, 2.89 Mb)files failed.I try again later.

Translation_Sidebar_fr_FR.txt

Edited by Ken@fri

Still waiting for the sp1 sidebar... You cannot upload it to wincert, too big use Rapidshare

and Ken@fri you forgot one line, Is this right?

en-US

ChangeMsg="Use the [Change] button to fix any Windows Sidebar problems you may be having."

fr-FR

ChangeMsg="Utilisez le bouton [Modifier] pour r