[AddOn] Windows Sidebar v6.0.6002.18005

ricktendo

Hi all, I'm a new user.

I've dowloaded the italian sidebar and I see that there are some fonts *.ttf, Sidebar.cab, some file and one folder.

How I can install the Windows Sidebar?

I've Windows XP Pro SP3.

Thx

Edited by BaLuBa

Hey guys, I know this sidebar has been around long enough for someone to know the answer to this:

Say I want the slightly transparent background (the same one located in the "PNG Images" directory).

The same one used by default in earlier builds of the Sidebar.

I've tried Windows Sidebar Styler, which doesn't seem to feature the exact one I want which is:

Transparent (Right).png

All i'm trying to do is change my background to Transparent (Right).png from Fade (Right).png!!!!

I've also tried ResHacker, and tried changing RCDATA 20001 and 20035 to the Transparent (Right).png image.

I can always save the changes, but it seems to make no difference at all.

Even if not a full step-by-step on this, can someone point me to a tutorial on how to identify the proper RcData values?

I searched this topic, and I see plenty of folks that wanted to switch to the Fade background, but how can I switch to something else WITHOUT the need for any other app?

I know since the PNGs are already installed with the sidebar, there's gotta be a simpler way to do this.

Maybe I just haven't played around with ResHacker enough.

Also, forgive a noob like me, but what I've gathered so far about the RCData values of 20001 and 20035 are that they control the left and right background images of the Sidebar, right?

If this is true, which one is left and which is right?

Thanks in advance

Edited by cedbled

So, I if I have Alky installed, I should uninstall that first, re-download the sidebar, use ResHacker on the Sidebar.exe to change the background, and then right-click sidebar.exe, and patch\Run Vista Executable?

Am I making this harder than it should be?

EDIT: I thought about your answer, and I think I understand:

In order to be able to change the background image, I need to follow the instructions for pulling the windows sidebar folder directly from a vista install?

The Alky version doesn't allow for such a change?

Edited by cedbled

Thank You very much Rick. I was struggling for few days trying to get it work without any success. You saved my day :D After all Vista Sidebar is working perfectly on Windows XP x64 Edition.
Thank You very much Rick. I was struggling for few days trying to get it work without any success. You saved my day :D After all Vista Sidebar is working perfectly on Windows XP x64 Edition.
WOW! on x64 thats a first... What is that Backup gadget?

i follow this link for a while, and give this sidebar to many friends using xp32, thanks a lot ricktendo64.

i have 2 questions:

1)

to make ricktendo64's sidebar work on xp64, all i need tskill.exe on system32 folder ?? no problem :>. (i already have one in my system32)

but

i am using 2003x64 (r2 enterprise) for a long time (for personal use(to learn)) and as i configured lots of utilities, no short plan to change it back to xp64.

As you know, xp64 and 2003x64 are mainly the same system, mostly many programs work the same with one or other. (i call xp64=win2003x64 client or workstation)

2)

as ambo achived to install on xp64, can anyone tell me how to overcome this error when i try to install the Sidebar.inf file.

INF Install failure. Reason: Could not retrieve the system message. You may run out of the system resource.

Welcome.

Recently, I was installed Windows Sidebar. Everything went well, I launched to reboot my computer, but when it starts, i seeing this error message:

Sorry. This application attempted to delay load or library or function that doesn't exist. Instability may occur.

How can I fix it? I read some articles on the subject, but none were specific.

(Screenshot: http://localh0st.ma.ciasny.net/pliki/errorwsbar.PNG )

Thanks and greets, Michał.

/Sorry for my English/

How can I change the style of the panel? I want it to be exactly like Vista so when I hover over it, it displays the border and such. I tried the Windows Sidebar Styler, and it doesn't work, it gives me an error message everytime I apply a theme.

If someone could help me out, that'd be awesome.

No ZequieL... no hay volume gadget for XP

bleeb the Vista sidebar on XP will not give you the hover effect, infact it will not even give you the Fade skin I have to patch it with a fade one because by default it can only use the "Non Aero-Always On Top" skin

Is there any way to change the 2px transparent line that is below the menulist inside of the Gadget Gallery? I thought that it might be specific to my desktop theme but just now noticed the screenshot above is running native theme where it appears also.

No ZequieL... no hay volume gadget for XP

bleeb the Vista sidebar on XP will not give you the hover effect, infact it will not even give you the Fade skin I have to patch it with a fade one because by default it can only use the "Non Aero-Always On Top" skin

Ok so there's no way possible to get the Hover effect? Oh well I guess, the ported version is alot better than Thoosje.. since I can get whatever gadget I want. Thanks for the sidebar :D

i follow this link for a while, and give this sidebar to many friends using xp32, thanks a lot ricktendo64.

i have 2 questions:

1)

to make ricktendo64's sidebar work on xp64, all i need tskill.exe on system32 folder ?? no problem :>. (i already have one in my system32)

but

i am using 2003x64 (r2 enterprise) for a long time (for personal use(to learn)) and as i configured lots of utilities, no short plan to change it back to xp64.

As you know, xp64 and 2003x64 are mainly the same system, mostly many programs work the same with one or other. (i call xp64=win2003x64 client or workstation)

2)

as ambo achived to install on xp64, can anyone tell me how to overcome this error when i try to install the Sidebar.inf file.

INF Install failure. Reason: Could not retrieve the system message. You may run out of the system resource.

Hey Lancelot. I had exactly same poblem, and Ricky solved it with this file http://www.mediafire.com/?zjky4xdgm1g.

Copy it to System 32 folder, and run installer (Sidebar.inf). Reboot, then from add-remove programs change Vista Sidebar, so it will re-register all components correctly. Problem, solved.

Btw, for all gadgets to work 100% you will need framework 2.0 at least installed on your system.

Edited by ambo

ambo:

thanks for your answer,

but sorry, i coulnt work Windows Sidebar on 2003x64

for a brief explanation of my OS: 2003x64 R2 Enterprise on ntfs drive c:\, SP2, .net2.0, .net3.0, IE7, wmp10 (no wmp11 for 2003x64, but i dont think the problem comes from here).. and all updates are done (20080531 22:34, 0 updates needed, included optionals )

alky instaleld to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Alky for Applications"

but right click and install of Sidebar.inf had always turn back with:

"INF Install failure. Reason: Could not retrieve the system message. You may run out of the system resource."

and as expected after this warning:

no folder of side bar neither at "C:\Program Files (x86)\" nor "C:\Program Files\"

no add/remove program componenet.

here what i tried:

i had already tskill.exe in my system32 folder (from Windows installation). I changed it with the one rick gave (verified sure), but no improvement.

i copy "C:\Program Files (x86)\Alky for Applications" to "C:\Program Files\Alky for Applications", no improvement. ;)

i tried both Ricks_WindowsSidebar_Alky2k31.1_AddOn.7z and Ricks_WindowsSidebar_AlkyXP1.1_AddOn.7z

after tskill solution for xp64, i think only 2003x64 left without vistasidebar :(

There is another Alky, with some bugs fixed, called alky_1.1_trunk_032308-000051_2k3.msi. to bad i dont have link for it. this could be the problem, i woulnt know tbh. Ricky might help with the link.