Which is the best defragmenter in your opinion?

NIM

The best defragment program is:  

80 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best program for defragmentation?

• Diskeeper
    • Perfect Disk
    • O&O Defrag
    • Ultimate Defrag
    • Other (post the name bellow)

So, what do you guys use, or think which is the best defragmentation software to use?

I've put only 3 choices since those three are most known on the net.

I'd also like to know your experiences, so write a few words on this topic.

If I need to add any additional defragmenter to the poll choices, please let me know.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am using OO Defrag pro v10. I seems to be working ok so far. I have found that I need to use the chkdsk /f command frequently as I am experiencing more than average amount of disk errors. I did not have this issue before switching to OO defrag. The defrag is very fast and it has several options for file arrangement, but I dont really trust the app. I would like to try something else.

I had been using Perfect Disk v8 but it would render my system unbootable from time to time. As far as I could tell, it seemed to malfunction if defrag. would conflict with another app. Sometimes it would get hung for several hours trying to open or move a single file before it would give up and continue with the defrag job. It wasn't very fast either. Besides the boot corruption problems, it seemed to do a good job.

I decided to reply to this poll since I haven't found a defrag app that I like yet. Perhaps I will give ultimate defrag a try next. :welcome:

I didnt actually vote since there is not an option for "other and/or none"

Edited by Mr.McNally

• 2 months later...

I have been using O&O but I too have had problems with Disk Error's. Still looking. I do use Windows from time to time. I have tried Ashampoo's Magical Defrag but, it's hard using something that works in the backgrund wh the comput is not in use.

• 2 months later...

I use Ultimate defrag and Diskeeper 2008(faster than 2007) Premium and I`m very satisfied. Both work fast and correct ( of course if not ntfs errors). I try Auslogics, O&0 10 pro and Perfect disk, but for me D`keeper and U`Defrag are better.

• 4 months later...

A couple of months ago I installed Ashampoos Magicall Defrag 2. It gets my vote hands down! I can see where it's just not for a laptop but for a desktop-you just install and forget. It doesn't get in the way at all. I love it.

I like Diskeeper too, it has a service that runs on background, and defrags the system automatically, very smart program ;)

By the way, check this article on ms support:

Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Microsoft Windows XP, and Microsoft Windows 2000 include a tool for disk defragmentation. The Windows Disk Defragmenter tool is a limited version of the Diskeeper program from Diskeeper Corporation. Disk Defragmenter does not include all the features available in the full version of Diskeeper.

Source: KB130539: Third-party disk defragmenter tools for Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, and Windows 2000

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Guest DennyMK
I like Diskeeper too, it has a service that runs on background, and defrags the system automatically, very smart program ;)

By the way, check this article on ms support:

Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Microsoft Windows XP, and Microsoft Windows 2000 include a tool for disk defragmentation. The Windows Disk Defragmenter tool is a limited version of the Diskeeper program from Diskeeper Corporation. Disk Defragmenter does not include all the features available in the full version of Diskeeper.

Source: KB130539: Third-party disk defragmenter tools for Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, and Windows 2000

I never bothered too much with defragmentations. When I think that my PC is slowing down, I just restore my Acronis BackUp, and have the previous speed again.

Thanks for the article @MrNxDmX, it convinced me to try Diskeeper.

Edited by DennyMK