Win10 Insider Build 1903; downgrade issues?

ksdixon

Normally when I need to quickly reset windows I run the iso of the build I have, and after being given a choice, i select keep nothing*

*but this actually moves my files to a windows.old folder!

Recently I've decided to test out windows insider builds again, and am currently on 1903. I've gone to perform my usual process, and noticed that the only option available to me is to keep nothing. Then it crashes-out of installing windows from the iso. Is this some weird issue with using an insider build?

I have downloaded the MediaCreateTool1903.exe, which also only let's me choose keep nothing. If I proceed to try to install this and it actually works, do I run the risk of losing my files, or will they simply get placed into a windows.old folder?

• - - Updated - - -

Hmm. Well, that worked, the files all got moved to a windows.old folder.

However due to name of MediaCreateTool1903.exe, all its done is put me back on 1903.

I wonder if maybe there was just some strange hiccup, and my usual iso file will now work...

• - - Updated - - -

Grr, nope. seem to be stuck on 1903

For the longest time I have been using ''Windows ISO Downloader'' to download 1703, and this has always worked for me before installing 1903. What exactly are my options here?

Ideally I'd like to keep my files in a windows.old folder and revert to 1703.

It looks like you are downgrading Windows. The best way to do it is boot using a Windows PE USB and create a folder called BACKUP (on C drive), move everything from your C drive to that folder and install Windows 10 1703. You can simply install Window 10 1703 and it should move everything to Windows.old but I never tried that before.

The real question is why do you want to downgrade to 1703? It is no longer supported. I suggest you just keep using 1903, it is quite good.

On 9/28/2019 at 7:44 PM, SnowBall said:

The real question is why do you want to downgrade to 1703? It is no longer supported. I suggest you just keep using 1903, it is quite good.

well SnowBall, only the home & professional editions of win10 v1703 have been out of support since last year (October 2018) but Microsoft will retire v1703 support for the enterprise & education editions this October 2019

but downgrading to 1703 regardless is not a good long-term solution and the "refreshed" versions of 1903 are pretty stable now

btw - the MediaCreateTool1903.exe file currently downloads build 18362.356 ESD files (1903 Sept 2019 refresh) and not the older ones

Edited by erpster9

Of course I am talking about Home and Pro, which most consumers (should) use. I see no benefit with using 1703 and no downside with 1903 but if you want to install 1703, that is your choice and go ahead. It is a downgrade so always good to backup important data.