orcadian

Possible loss of W7 OEM key on upgrading to W10

I work from home. I have Windows 7 on my PC, still with its birth OEM key. This system is loaded with my software and packages, and for continuity it is essential that it is not compromised, including W7 and Office possibly becoming deactivated. 

I have also just installed W7 on a new SSD drive, with the aim of upgrading that to W10 and dual-booting while I make the transition. For speed I told the installer I did not have a key, but W7 activated fine. I am now paranoid that it has somehow picked up my main OEM key from the BIOS - and that when I upgrade to W10, I will lose activation of my main system. Can anyone clarify and/or advise? Thanks!

Edited by orcadian
typo

According to Microsoft answers you'll be able to use the Win7 key even after you upgrade to Windows 10.

Your Windows 7 license will always be valid and will not be changed or deactivated because of the upgrade to Windows 10: you'll be able to install or restore Windows 7 again in case you'll need to do that (provided that you've the Windows 7 installation DVD)

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_update/windows-10-insider-update/106f3930-d92c-4e58-97be-ed8a7228b3c6

Br,
Nik

Thanks, Nik.  The problem is that I want to dual-boot Windows 7 and Windows 10. (I do not want my original Windows 7 to be subsumed.)  Although I can clearly only run one O/S at a time, Microsoft may view my dual boot as someone operating two machines on one licence. 

I have read somewhere that if you use your OEM W7 licence to upgrade to W10, it transfers to W10.  If you then reinstall W7 on a different disk (i.e. a dual boot), it will not activate because it no longer has a key.  This is not the same order I'm planning, but it sounds like it comes down to the same thing.

I'm also dubious because the BIOS may have only one "OEM licence slot". So even though I do have a second W7 key that can become attached to Windows 10 when I upgrade,  there is - if you like - nowhere for it to go. If I put that second key in the OEM slot, I fear that my original W7 will find itself without a licence.

Edited by orcadian
typo

Just to be clear and I'm sure you're aware of that, running Windows 7 and Windows 10 in dual boot with the same key is illegal.

Since the latest Windows 10's November update (1909), Microsoft has changed its Win 10 installer to accept Windows 7 and 8, 8.1 keys. Because of this change you are allowed to do a clean boot of Windows 10 2019 November update and use your Win 7, 8 or 8.1 keys.

After using the Windows 7 key, Windows 10 will report this key to Microsoft’s servers, and you'll receive a digital entitlement or digital license to continue using Windows 10 for free.

With all this said, if you create a dual boot with Window 10 1909, you'll be able to use and activate it with Windows 7 key and I seriously doubt that your Windows 7 will then be deactivated, but I just can't confirm this since I haven't tried it.

On 12/6/2019 at 12:18 AM, NIM said:

Since the latest Windows 10's November update (1909), Microsoft has changed its Win 10 installer to accept Windows 7 and 8, 8.1 keys. Because of this change you are allowed to do a clean boot of Windows 10 2019 November update and use your Win 7, 8 or 8.1 keys.

This is not true. Prior to 1909 you could still install Windows 10 with or without a Windows 7/8/8.1/10 key. Even if you install without the key you can still add it via Activation.

Why not boot Windows 10 and run a VM with WIndows 7 inside it? There's also free Windows VMs that expire after 90 days.