Need some advice/suggestions about data security app.

Mr.McNally

Hello, I am looking for some advice regarding software that would help me protect information I am going to make available on a work group/network for others to access, but not to be able to copy to a storage medium.

To be more clear, I am going to set up a small network of 3-4 computers upon which I will make available information which I would like to display to others and perhaps allow for pages of the info to be printed, but I need to make sure that the information can only be viewed, or printed by page, without any chance of it being copied in bulk.

I have been thinking of using windows XP pro on all of the machines and then serving the data from my workstation with administrator privileges. Most of the information is in pdf format, although I do also have some stand-alone reference information programs which do not require passwords or allow for administrative control from within the software once setup. How can I make these available, while protecting my investment from potential theft?

1. Should I be looking to a different OS for this task? I have access to Server 2003, although I have no experience in using it. I would not mind setting up my station with MS Server 2003, as long as I can use my computer as a workstation simultaneously.

2. Is there a software that you could suggest that might offer me some peice of mind using windows xp, while allowing others to access data on a work group network?

3. Do I sound like a total novice at this(I am by the way) and need some sort of tutorial to guide me through safely implementing this strategy? If so, what/where should I go for further reading?

Thanks for all of you help and tips, Randall McNally :welcome:

P.S. If this topic is in the wrong forum, I kindly ask the Moderator to move it to the appropriate location.

I will suggest you something, but I won't tell that this is far the best solution. Since I'm working for a bank where data protection is most important, I will tell you our solution which may help you with your situation.

Since you're working with 3-4 computers which is a small workgroup, you won't need Windows Server, since with XP you can use NTFS permissions and you can have maximum of 10 concurrent connections on that machine which is sharing files.

Ok, here we go now:

Share those files on one machine, use mixed NTFS and Share permissions to permit access to those files. Create users locally that should have access to those files on sharing machine. (In this way only authenticated users will have access to those files.)

Now, the other problem is data copy and theft. You haven't mentioned will those users be able to send any mails, since than we have another problem. If not, we're in luck since you can protect files with Device Lock application.

Device lock client should be installed on each client machine, and you can install Management Console on yours.

Result:

Authenticated users can access PDF files, can open or print them, and also can save those files on their PC, but thanks to Device Lock manager, they won't be able to take this files out of that computer, since with Device Lock you can block access to USB, Floppy, CD-ROM etc.

You can also configure NTFS permissions on client PC's, so users can't save anything on their disk (then you won't need Device Lock). But then, you'd also need to prevent access to removable storage through group policy.

I hope I helped you..If you need additional help with this issue, I'd be glad to help you.

Cheers

The main reason here I guess is to let other ppl get access to some files without having permission to save those to usb, floppy or cd-rom or other devices. N1K explained this in a very great way but one problem will still left behind. :manual:

If ppl can print this information there is no need for Device Lock or any other application. Sure you can block the access to send information via email or to save those to usb, floppy or cd-rom but they still will be able to print those information and take it out. :whistle:

Got my point ???

Edited by JurgenDoe

To be more clear, I am going to set up a small network of 3-4 computers upon which I will make available information which I would like to display to others and perhaps allow for pages of the info to be printed, but I need to make sure that the information can only be viewed, or printed by page, without any chance of it being copied in bulk.

Mr. McNally said that people should be able to print those PDF files. :icon_cool:

Thanks for the advice guys. Here is another aspect of my intended project that I would like an opinion on. As I mentioned I am planning to allow for the usage of certain reference application on the other network computers.

When I acquired these reference applications they came in the form of an installation disk and several 6-8 gigabyte DVD data disks. I think that I can install the main app on each workstation, and then make the data disks available across the network as .iso images. I dont know how to compile all of the DVDs, and the reference apps ask for a particular disk to be inserted when a user requests certain files.

I could perhaps mount all data images in virtual drives located on my computer but which would be shared on the network. Then the reference apps could access the data DVD images while I would not have to distribute physical copies of the disks nor would I have to install copies of the data disks on the individual computers. Not to mention, I wouldn't have to rely on the users to mount the images to the virtual drives to allow the reference apps to see them.

I would prefer to keep the data files confined to my physical machine, only allowing users to access them. It may sound paranoid of me to say this, but it would keep someone from taking the entire machine or from removing the hard drive and abscond with it.

Does this sound like a reasonable idea or am I making this more difficult for myself than necessary? :welcome:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your help guys. I have a little more time to implement my solution than I had originally anticipated.

I am sure I will have more questions as I get into the project.

I think I am going to try the image idea and see how well it works. I am also going to investigate the Device Lock application. :welcome: