What is the difference between windows 7 and windows 7 August 2018?

dens22

21 minutes ago, shhnedo said:

Those are garbage. 5GB+ iso for a single edition and integrated updates are a mess. Better download regular 7 SP1 media refresh iso and manually update it with simplix updatepack.

Those integrated updates are broken or what?

No, just multiple cumulative updates integrate for no reason. For reference, my own x64 AIO (Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, Enterprise) made using simplix updatepack and abbodi's addons(directx, visual c++, .net framework) is the same size as the single index x64 Ultimate, Pro and Home Premium images. Mine are even more up-to-date than these "official homebrews"...

Edited by shhnedo

1 hour ago, shhnedo said:

No, just multiple cumulative updates integrate for no reason. For reference, my own x64 AIO (Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, Enterprise) made using simplix updatepack and abbodi's addons(directx, visual c++, .net framework) is the same size as the single index x64 Ultimate, Pro and Home Premium images. Mine are even more up-to-date than these "official homebrews"...

So, should I save the August 2018 setups just to be safe, wait for may 1st and then download the regular Windows 7 setups? Cause I don't have any official windows 7 installations, and I want to save them.

On 4/10/2020 at 9:53 PM, shhnedo said:

Those are garbage. 5GB+ iso for a single edition and integrated updates are a mess. Better download regular 7 SP1 media refresh iso and manually update it with simplix updatepack.

that 856 MB thingy tho… lol

the Aug. 2018 Win7 SP1 ISOs are only available in USA English - not available for foreign (non-English) languages.  they are also "standalone" editions that bundle a single edition and are NOT AIOs (so the ei.cfg removal trick won't work with the Aug 2018 ISOs because ei.cfg is actually not present in these ISOs)
they also contain certain win7 "telemetry" updates which some people despise 

original Win7 SP1 ISOs (not the Aug 2018 ones) can be used as AIOs with the ei.cfg removal trick - and these older Win7 ISOs are available in many languages

Edited by erpster9

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/17/2020 at 5:49 AM, erpster9 said:

the Aug. 2018 Win7 SP1 ISOs are only available in USA English - not available for foreign (non-English) languages.  they are also "standalone" editions that bundle a single edition and are NOT AIOs (so the ei.cfg removal trick won't work with the Aug 2018 ISOs because ei.cfg is actually not present in these ISOs)
they also contain certain win7 "telemetry" updates which some people despise 

original Win7 SP1 ISOs (not the Aug 2018 ones) can be used as AIOs with the ei.cfg removal trick - and these older Win7 ISOs are available in many languages

Ty for the info.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I've just learned from abbodi that MS has recently removed the August 2018 Windows 7 ISO downloads.
so the links to them are now broken and produce 404 file not found errors in late March 2023
(yup, Windows ISO Downloader can't download them anymore)

another "stake knife" driven onto the heart of Win7

Edited by erpster9