Bold Fortune

dirtwarrior

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, dirtwarrior! I bumped into this thread doing a search for me. Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

My site is down, and will remain down. It was never really "my" site, it belonged to Sadie, a lady who lives in England. She gave it to me to support my work on Slimming Down Windows XP: The Complete Guide. You can read more about it here...

http://www.graphixanstuff.com/Forum/index.php?showtopic=9354

....Jan has hosted the guide for you in the event of something like this happening. Jan's copy of my guide is the only copy that I have granted permission to host, and it is the only copy posted on the Internet I keep updated. It's there for you when you need it.

The guide was always for you. That's why I created it. It is my gift to those who always wanted to know which files they can delete from Windows XP, but couldn't find their answers...my site was only an after thought.

The guide is here for you when you need it...

http://www.graphixanstuff.com/Forum/index.php?showforum=68

....Sincerely,

Bold_Fortune

You could always use WinCert m8... We can make you a dedicated subforum you can mod.

I appreciate the offer. I'll certainly keep it in mind should the present situation change. Right now, however, Slimming Down Windows XP: The Complete Guide will remain on Jan's site.

I'd just like to go back to working quietly on my guide. Having my own site was a bit like sticking out my chin to be taken a poke at by every Tom, *** and fanboy. And I'm sure moderating a forum here wouldn't be much different. It just gets tiring being a target.

I've never quite been able to some it up. I've tried many times, but I just can't get it quite right.

Jan was there with me on the old TweakXP site where I first began publishing my adventures in file-deleting. We're talkin' a very long time ago. Six years maybe.

The administrator there would get so p-oed at me because I would tell people which files they could delete. Disclaimers ran rampant on practically every post I made about deleting files: "We here at TweakXP do not recommend this!"

Forum members there would sometimes jump down my throat, too.

Nowadays, Slimming Down your Windows XP installation is practically considered cool.

While deleting files became more mainstream, something else began occuring...

The insults come mostly now from people who seem to have something to protect. Like the fanboys of nLite do. Or from some "Mastertech" type person, who has need to assert (and win) that his or her way of doing things is the only way, and the right way.

People have mentioned a feud between me and nuhi, the creator of nLite. No such feud ever existed until the nLite fanboys made so much about something I wrote in Slimming Down Windows XP: The Complete Guide.

What is that "feud" about? It's right here, in PART 1 of my guide...right under "Why I Don't Use Programs Like XPLite and nLite".

http://www.graphixanstuff.com/Forum/index.php?showtopic=9399

And that's all it's ever been about, my reason why I do not use file-removal programs.

You see, the nLite fanboys have something to protect. "How dare I attack their beloved program, and their fair leader, nuhi?!"

Well, I didn't...and I never did.

That was all I ever said about nLite. I simply stated why I don't use file-removal programs, and gave some pretty good examples why I don't.

(You may also noticed it at the same time I was talking about XPLite, too...but the nLite fanboys seemed to ignore that part.)

These criticisms are something I've had to live with for a very long time, in one form or another, and from one source or another.

And this kind of thing never stops. Even today, when dirtwarrior asked on MSFN about my site being down, he was given this response from Zxian, one of the forum moderators...

Bold was a strange guy. He really didn't like you if you didn't agree with his methods.

Why do you want to find his site again? He had slightly unorthodox methods about "cleaning" his system, and I think nuhi put him out of business, so to speak.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=103412

So, I think I'll just back off from the public limelight for awhile, and quietly go back to work on my guide.

Again, thank you for your offer.

Sincerely,

Bold_Fortune

Hi Bold-

I just wanted to add my commentary in

agreement with dirtwarrior and cygnus.

Love your forum and will miss it a lot.

Sorry to hear you got so much flack from some quarters.

Guess you just have to take it from where it comes..

sounds like they went to ugly step-sister school.

:thumbsdown_anim:

Hope we'll see you around!

All the best! ~MaisOui~

• 2 weeks later...
I asked Bold about the subforum idea. He said a complete forum of its own is more to his liking. Could you guys make a forum for Bold?

How does he mean, a complete forum? If he means to have a main category like we have for "Microsoft Operating Systems and Software, News Support and Discussion, The Design Art Forum", than that's OK with me, I would do it and call the category however he wants.

If I misunderstood something he can contact me through PM or MSN.

That's what it would need, N1K, for the guide and its sub categories to fit properly. For example, like you have your "News, Support, Discussions" forum. http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php?act=idx

The top forum would be "Slimming Down Windows XP: The Complete Guide". Upon opening it will have on the first thread the complete guide and all it's parts. And then the guide's individual parts will be set up like I have it on Jan's site...

http://www.graphixanstuff.com/Forum/index.php?showforum=68

The second would be for "Discussions About Slimming Down Windows XP", (where hopefully others smarter than I will answer any questions about deleting files.)

The third, a subforum for "The System32 File Indexer". I'll need to do considerable work on this changing the links to match your site.

Here's an example of one file in the "A's" (Then there's "B's", "C's" and so forth for its sub categories.)

A3d.dll.........PART 10 under Creative Live! 24-bit Sound Card Files

The fourth would be for "Windows XP Services Companion", a major supplement for PART 2 of the guide, offering information about Services.

The fifth, "My Personal Batch Files Are Available Here", so I can point to where and how anyone who appreciates my work enough to make a donation can receive my personal batch files. http://boldfortune.blogspot.com/

As far as the title of the forum, I would prefer "Slimming Down Windows XP: The Complete Guide".

NOTE: There could be one problem, and that is the size of posts allowed on your forum. I'd prefer not to break up any PARTS of the guide into two parts. As you can see as examples PARTS 2 and PARTS 9 of the guide, and the Windows XP Services Companion, are quite lengthy.

Edited by Bold_Fortune

NOTE: There could be one problem, and that is the size of posts allowed on your forum. I'd prefer not to break up any PARTS of the guide into two parts. As you can see as examples PARTS 2 and PARTS 9 of the guide, and the Windows XP Services Companion, are quite lengthy.

I'm really not sure if I'll have to adjust this or it will work by default. If you'll have trouble with posting just let me know, we'll fix it.

I've created the forums and gave you moderator permissions for it. Please check it and let me know if I should change something..