XP File Path Confusion

I need some help with figuring out the file paths of some of the windows xp resource locations.

What I was trying to do when I realized I have this issue was to add a shortcut to control panel/display options via a new rocketdock icon. I can right click/properties(usually where i can find the path of a file) on the display icon in the control panel and I get the word"control panel" as a location.

So then I looked at another icon on the rocket dock to see what was listed as the path for "control panel", and what I found was,"::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\::{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}" :icon_question:

This leaves me to assume that the display icon is located in a similarly named location, to which I have no guide to find. Looks like something from the registry, but I cant be sure. :icon_question:

I searched the forums, I looked back through some of the xp tutorials, and i Goggled the topic, but have come up with nothing so far. :tumbleweed:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can find the path of this and other resources in windows xp? :welcome:

Most system icons are located in C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll except for some network icons which can be found in same location in netshell.dll plus a few others. With a free program like IcoFx you can do a batch process and extract all of the icons to a folder so you can easily use for dock icons.

Edited by DMHolt57

Most system icons are located in C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll except for some network icons which can be found in same location in netshell.dll plus a few others. With a free program like IcoFx you can do a batch process and extract all of the icons to a folder so you can easily use for dock icons.

Thanks for the info. My problem seems to be that when adding something like a custom shortcut that requires me to specify a target, sometimes I cant find one i.e. the display properties in the control panel. The target for the control panel icon listed in rocket dock is a string of numbers that represent some location that I have no idea how to find. I don't need to find the icons, as much as I need to find the target to point my custom shortcut to.

Thanks for the like to the icon export app. I will look into it. I have been thinking of making an icon pack. This might prove to be a useful tool. :welcome:

You can go in the control panel and right click on Display and select create shortcut, a window comes up saying you cannot create shortcut here, would you like on desktop, choose yes, then you can drag from desktop into your dock, then change the icon.

Edited by DMHolt57

You can go in the control panel and right click on Display and select create shortcut, a window comes up saying you cannot create shortcut here, would you like on desktop, choose yes, then you can drag from desktop into your dock, then change the icon.

displayerroriq4.png

Thanks for the tip, but this is the error I have been trying to work around. The error comes when I click on the 'shortcut to display icon that I made and then drug onto rocket dock.

I have also included in the screen shot the specified target listed in the 'properties' of the "shortcut to display", which was created via the control panel display icon, in the manner you described. The target is 'Display', there is no root/path specified, only the target, "display".

Any ideas? As you can see this is not a critical issue, but it is a learning experience for me so I am open to try any other suggestions that might work.

Thanks again for your help.

• 7 months later...
displayerroriq4.png

Thanks for the tip, but this is the error I have been trying to work around. The error comes when I click on the 'shortcut to display icon that I made and then drug onto rocket dock.

I have also included in the screen shot the specified target listed in the 'properties' of the "shortcut to display", which was created via the control panel display icon, in the manner you described. The target is 'Display', there is no root/path specified, only the target, "display".

Any ideas? As you can see this is not a critical issue, but it is a learning experience for me so I am open to try any other suggestions that might work.

Thanks again for your help.

Just got to know this recently...

In the "target' box of the shortcut, paste this code

rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl

This should launch Display properties