Which .dll Associates With Themes

teerim

God im always running into something that just delays my objective. Anyways I have Windows XP Professional Corporate SP2 August 2007 Version. Well something in there is making classic and luna themes only available. I fixed that problem by using BricoPack. But I dont like BricoPack what so ever. So I just wanted to know if any of you guys know which .dll is causing the problem. BTW its not the uxTheme.dll because I had already patched that. Please HELP me....Thanks.

Hi, terrin. I'm not sure if this is going to help you, but maybe if you understand a little bit more about Themes you can help yourself out.

I am not suggesting your delete any of these files, only showing this to you to help you understand better Themes.

From PART 5

C:\WINDOWS\Resources

Contains files to support the user's shell interface. (Themes.)

Windows will not let you delete the C:\WINDOWS\Resources folder.

---------------------------------------

C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes

You can delete the Themes folder and its contents if you want, but read on first...

Once you have your system setup for using a particular "Luna Style" theme, you can actually delete most of the Themes folder contents.

Contained in the Themes folder are the Luna subfolder, the Luna.theme, and the Windows Classic.theme.

The Luna subfolder contains the Shell subfolder and the luna.msstyles.

The Shell subfolder contains these subfolders: Metallic, Homestead and NormalColor. Each of these three subfolders contains its own shellstyle.dll. Much of the internal colors and file bitmaps are contained in the shellstyle.dll. The shellstyle.dll is also used for the visual-style effects in task windows, such as in the Add or Remove Programs panel.

The luna.msstyles does not contain all the information for the Windows XP style Theme (Luna Theme). However, you do need the luna.msstyles if you want to use a Luna Theme.

Here's where it gets tricky. There is also a shellstyle.dll in the system32 folder (C:\WINDOWS\system32).

You can delete the shellstyle.dll from the system32 folder, as long as you keep the Themes folder, its Luna subfolder, and the one Shell subfolder of the particular "Luna Style" theme you are using (Metallic, Homestead or NormalColor), along with its shellstyle.dll.

Let me show you...

Let's assume you have seleted and are using Metallic (Silver Color Scheme) for your Luna Theme.

Delete these files and subfolders:

In C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes

Delete the Luna.theme

Delete Windows Classic.theme

In C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\Luna\Shell

Delete the Homestead folder and its shellstyle.dll.

Delete the NormalColor and it shellstyle.dll.

And then you can delete the shellstyle.dll in C:\WINDOWS\system32.

To see the visual-style of the Add or Remove Programs panel, you must keep either the shellstyle.dll that is in the system32 folder, or the shellstyle.dll of the particular Luna Theme you are using. More importantly, without at least one of these shellstyle.dll presence, you will be unable to enter the Add or Remove Programs panel.

If you choose to use the Windows Classic Theme, you can fully delete the Themes folder and all its contents.

But if you choose to use the Windows Classic theme, and delete the Themes folder and its contents, you will still need the shellstyle.dll that is in the system32 folder in order to gain access to the Add or Remove Programs panel.

---------------------------------------

Windows XP Professional Corporate SP2 August 2007 Version

I really hate to burst your bubble but uxtheme.dll is THE dll for using unsigned themes. Considering the version of windows you are using you most likely trying to patch it with an incompatable patcher (out of date) how are you patching it?

• 1 year later...
Guest DennyMK

I had this problem a few times and I tried everything to solve the problem untill I didn't found that nLite sometimes doesn't patch well. So my suggestion is to run UXTheme patcher. (that solved my problem and hope will yours too)