XP/W2k3 x86 on Modern Hardware

George King

@canonkong

The windows 8.0 ACPI driver maybe? - vanilla versions gives A5 BSOD, but after patching it boots and the 149C controller works there properly at boot time..

It'd be one hell of a job to port it to XP though.

We'd first need to prove that it can work for the Vista RTM ACPI driver before we can even think of trying to port the Windows 8.0 version.

@infuscomus

How to solve A5 BSOD? I found that many intel platform will A5 BSOD on win7/8/8.1, but AMD can replace the mod acpi.sys to solve it.

For AMD CPU inside XHCI contoller(Not only 149C), I think it is ASUS bios bug. Maybe cause by its power manage. On my testing, GIGABYTE, MSI, ASRock not have this problem, but ASUS, Lenovo mainboard will have this problem.

3 hours ago, infuscomus said:

The windows 8.0 ACPI driver maybe? - vanilla versions gives A5 BSOD, but after patching it boots and the 149C controller works there properly at boot time..

OK, original 8.0 usb3 driver works with 0x149c controller under Win8.0 environment (+ patched acpi), so problem is deeper and 8.1 driver in different OS may have same issue.

The first thing that comes to mind - DSDT, but on Linux open source usb3 driver (by Intel) uses acpi functions only in two cases - workaround for fewer Intel chipsets (Skylake and other), linux driver call special DSM methods to power up something in hardware, see xhci_pme_acpi_rtd3_enable()
second is powering ports(?) usb_acpi_set_power_state(), many subcalls.

33 minutes ago, canonkong said:

I already porting the usb driver from win8.1 and win10 1511, but they will code 10 error on win7.  What I need to do with the inf file?

Code 10 is common error -  unsupported hardware, unsupported OS, failed internal driver checks, etc...

Driver code starts, but windows receive some error from driver, you can't fix it with patching .inf

And don't forget to remove initial security cookie check, this check, will fail on pre-Win8 OSes

3 minutes ago, infuscomus said:

@Mov AX, 0xDEAD

First 0xDEADBEEF which I bypassed, but now I get BSOD 50 and 8E

any help to get your extender working with this?

I can explain only 0xDEADBEEF bsod, because this is extender's internal assertion checks

0xDEADBEEF, 0x3 - bug in PsSetCreateProcessNotifyRoutineEx_k8, overflowed list or some similar

0xDEADBEEF, 0x5 - not found signature of existing but not exported functions in ntoskrnl.exe,  just comment KeBugCheckEx()

50 or 8E - can't help with this, when you mix parts of different OS - you get mess

1 hour ago, Mov AX, 0xDEAD said:

The first thing that comes to mind - DSDT, but on Linux open source usb3 driver (by Intel) uses acpi functions only in two cases - workaround for fewer Intel chipsets (Skylake and other), linux driver call special DSM methods to power up something in hardware, see xhci_pme_acpi_rtd3_enable() second is powering ports(?) usb_acpi_set_power_state(), many subcalls.

@Mov AX, 0xDEAD

So do you think the 149C controller is failing because of a missing function in our patched acpi.sys that the windows 8.0 acpi.sys has?

21 minutes ago, infuscomus said:

@Mov AX, 0xDEAD

So do you think the 149C controller is failing because of a missing function in our patched acpi.sys that the windows 8.0 acpi.sys has?

I dont know, MS usb3 driver is very complex due "usb stack", maybe it require specific acpi functionality. Or maybe bios uses specific registers of amd usb controller to reprogram it to custom mode so DSDT is only way to control this "custom" mode.

14 minutes ago, infuscomus said:

I have an OEM SP3 XP ISO where I swapped out the kernel with my compiled version if you want to try it out? This version installs in a VM at least.

We already have compiled sp3 kernel from MS, so No. If you have custom kernel, you need all related files compiled from same source - hal, acpi, win32k(?), pci(?) ...

12 hours ago, Mov AX, 0xDEAD said:

We already have compiled sp3 kernel from MS, so No. If you have custom kernel, you need all related files compiled from same source - hal, acpi, win32k(?), pci(?) ...

@Mov AX, 0xDEAD

I haven't needed to compile anything else other than the kernel and it works when I swap ntoskrnl/ntkrnlmp/ntkrnlpa/ntkrpamp out on a SP3 ISO at least, but ntoskrnl extender it seems refuses to work with it.

@infuscomus

I try your hal and ntoskrnl files from Sources on the Asrock z370 Fatalty Gaming k6 board.

With Ntos8 drivers together I get DEADBEEF Bsod.

When I replace ntoskrnl and hal on a XP SP3 with iastor 1006,

I get very late in boot process Bsod 0xC000021A, also in Safe Mode.

The same Bsod happens from an XP SP3 Install CD on 3. reboot(last), when I changed hal and ntoskrnl

about yours from Sources  on Setup CD (also in SP3.cab I replace them all).

I think, that this Bsod goes to WinLogon or CSRSS.exe .

So it is not enough for only to replace hal and ntoskrnl from Sources.

About BSOD with Extender it may be, that some functions for storport are missed in XP SP1 ntoskrnl.

I talked with @daniel_k about this and he makes an storport.sys for me, which works also with XP SP1 for nvme boot and storahci

Dietmar

Edited by Dietmar