XP/W2k3 x86 on Modern Hardware

George King

On 12/18/2021 at 8:38 AM, Dietmar said:

Dietmar

Hey Dietmar, hi. We on MSFN topic trying to help our moderator Dave-H install XP on  Lenovo Ideapad Flex 10.

When Dave try to install XP Integral Edition he get BSOD. We know you have huge experience with that laptop.

Can you, please, help Dave, cause specific Lenovo acpi.sys can not be downloaded anymore. And we don't know maybe it need special modified BIOS or else.

Here is topic on msfn: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183198-ahci-and-acpi-for-xp-on-lenovo-netbook/

We are already called you for help there on 6 page.

Edited by Rod Steel

3 hours ago, Rod Steel said:

Hey Dietmar, hi. We on MSFN topic trying to help our moderator Dave-H install XP on  Lenovo Ideapad Flex 10.

When Dave try to install XP Integral Edition he get BSOD. We know you have huge experience with that laptop.

Can you, please, help Dave, cause specific Lenovo acpi.sys can not be downloaded anymore. And we don't know maybe it need special modified BIOS or else.

Here is topic on msfn: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183198-ahci-and-acpi-for-xp-on-lenovo-netbook/

We are already called you for help there on 6 page.

Try default ACPI from integral

4 hours ago, infuscomus said:

@ExtremeGrief

Oh, your probably referring to the windows8 pre-install environment that it now ships with to apply the XP install.wim/esd

He themed it to look like XP but it's windows8 underneath.

I think he talking about deployed XP as we finally found whats wrong on his machine. And if it works without problem, then is connected with bootmgr file version

8 hours ago, infuscomus said:

@ExtremeGrief

So you're using XP with bootmgr now and not NTLDR?

It's bootmgr + BCD + legacy option NTLDR + boot.ini. I PMed you same Windows 8 based setup RC2 ISO on MDL. I don't know how, but when using Windows 8 as base, then can be installed ported drivers using Snappy Driver Installer without needs of -v:5.1 simulation switch. 

Or you can HEX edit bootmgr on Window 7 based ISO in ISO root. Replace 36 00 2E 00 31 with 36 00 2E 00 32. In my tests there are same symptoms in driver installation, so I think it's enough.

On 12/31/2021 at 10:41 AM, infuscomus said:

@Dietmar

I've made an experimental HAL and ntoskrn8.sys for XP.

Does XP work correctly with these?

myexperimentalacpidispatchhal_3.7z 294.73 kB · 14 downloads

Both files copied to a working XP Integral Edition disk (after renaming halmacpi.dll to hal.dll): the system reboots continuously before getting to the XP scrollbar screen. Tried with and without PAE, same behavior.
XP boot is completed only in safe mode or by copying only ntoskrn8.sys.

Edited by Andalu

I'm experimenting with latest release of Windows XP Integral Edition: using options 1,3 and 4 (MovAX-Gen2 SATA/AHCI driver + MovAX-Gen2 USB3.X xHCI driver + ACPI Patch) I succeeded installing XP o.s. on a recent motherboard with Intel SkyLake processor. Without using all the above options together I just obtained BSOD during first part of XP installation.

And now the question, where I need your help. Verifying the possibility to install XP on a new hardware was just my first step, my goal is to have the XP operating system 'alive and kicking' starting from a XP disk image of a working PC. Consider that I was able to restore it on a virtual machine without any trouble, but restoring this disk image on a real hardware and have XP booting again is a different job!

As I discovered that the 3 above mentioned options was needed to have XP working on my hardware, I tried to patch the restored XP disk-image, injecting the modded ACPI.SYS file and the 2 drivers (SATA and USB3). All the modification was performed booting the PC with WinPE. I also added the needed "Kernel-Mode Driver Framework 1.11", played with regedit performing offline mods (mainly 'Services' section) taking as example INF files for the options needed. At the same time I imported the whole "Enum" portion of the registry taken from the working installation of XP IE on the same hardware, hoping that restoring it was enough to have XP booting...but I was wrong 😞

Result: when I try to boot the patched XP I'm only able to see for few second the XP bootlogo and then the PC freeze and reboot...same situation for "Safe mode".

I performed other minor tweaks and now I have a BSOD with error "PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA". See attachment...

Desktop--2022-01-04-18-08.png.36782d960944e1b46e4194c52f80b8ff.png

Can anybody help me? I really don't know what to do...thanks!

3 hours ago, simon73 said:

I'm experimenting with latest release of Windows XP Integral Edition: using options 1,3 and 4 (MovAX-Gen2 SATA/AHCI driver + MovAX-Gen2 USB3.X xHCI driver + ACPI Patch) I succeeded installing XP o.s. on a recent motherboard with Intel SkyLake processor. Without using all the above options together I just obtained BSOD during first part of XP installation.

And now the question, where I need your help. Verifying the possibility to install XP on a new hardware was just my first step, my goal is to have the XP operating system 'alive and kicking' starting from a XP disk image of a working PC. Consider that I was able to restore it on a virtual machine without any trouble, but restoring this disk image on a real hardware and have XP booting again is a different job!

As I discovered that the 3 above mentioned options was needed to have XP working on my hardware, I tried to patch the restored XP disk-image, injecting the modded ACPI.SYS file and the 2 drivers (SATA and USB3). All the modification was performed booting the PC with WinPE. I also added the needed "Kernel-Mode Driver Framework 1.11", played with regedit performing offline mods (mainly 'Services' section) taking as example INF files for the options needed. At the same time I imported the whole "Enum" portion of the registry taken from the working installation of XP IE on the same hardware, hoping that restoring it was enough to have XP booting...but I was wrong 😞

Result: when I try to boot the patched XP I'm only able to see for few second the XP bootlogo and then the PC freeze and reboot...same situation for "Safe mode".

I performed other minor tweaks and now I have a BSOD with error "PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA". See attachment...

Desktop--2022-01-04-18-08.png.36782d960944e1b46e4194c52f80b8ff.png

Can anybody help me? I really don't know what to do...thanks!

Why not try XP2ESD?

12 hours ago, ExtremeGrief said:

Why not try XP2ESD?

I read XP2ESD thread, seems to me that this is a powerful tool to create a Windows XP install disc that is similar to Win7 installer. But I don't think that this can help me, as I don't want to install XP from scratch, I want to restore an XP image injecting drivers and patched file(s) (like ACPI.SYS) to have XP booting again on a new hardware. 

Or I misunderstood the way to use XP2ESD? 

4 hours ago, simon73 said:

I read XP2ESD thread, seems to me that this is a powerful tool to create a Windows XP install disc that is similar to Win7 installer. But I don't think that this can help me, as I don't want to install XP from scratch, I want to restore an XP image injecting drivers and patched file(s) (like ACPI.SYS) to have XP booting again on a new hardware. 

Or I misunderstood the way to use XP2ESD? 

Why not clean install?